django chat app

Milan Andric

Aug 6, 2008, 6:05:35 PM8/6/08
to Chicago Djangonauts
Hey folks,

I am curious if anyone is interested in working on a chat
application. I'd like to build something I can eventually plug into
Pinax that would allow people to chat with other people logged into
the same site or have a group chat. Let me know if anyone has any
thoughts on this or may have run across it. Think web-based IRC.

I'm building it as piece of a project I'm working on which allows
journalists to work on stories or multimedia projects and publish them
online. One fundamental component of that is a site one can easily
log into and have all the tools necessary to communicate, document,
upload and publish their stuff. These are non-technical people, it
needs to be as easy as possible for them. An IRC client won't cut it.

The only thing I've uncovered so far is http://xmpppy.sourceforge.net/
which should allow me write a jabber client. Seems to be the way to
go these days. Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Milan

Milan Andric

Aug 6, 2008, 10:35:00 PM8/6/08
to Chicago Djangonauts

Sorry, replying to my own mail here, but in case you're interested, a
couple more links:

http://technophiliac.wordpress.com/2008/05/28/ever-wondered-how-gmailfacebook-chat-works/
http://zeank.in-berlin.de/jsjac/

Also it would be cool if I could find some software written in python
that does similar things as jabberd. http://jabberd2.xiaoka.com/

--
Milan

bobhaugen

Aug 7, 2008, 6:51:03 AM8/7/08
to Chicago Djangonauts
I'm interested in using it. Working on other Pinax apps myself so
won't be able to do much coding, but wd help test.