Saltar al primer mensaje no leído

Marc Juul

no leída,
15 jun 2010, 17:19:4315/6/10
a diy...@googlegroups.com
Are any DIYbio people attending the HOPE (hackers on planet earth)
conference in NYC (July 16-18)?

Do you want to meet up?

I'm from the diybio Copenhagen group and would love to talk to some
more experienced diybio'ers (I have bio experience, but no diybio
experience).

Cya!

--
Juul

Bryan Bishop

no leída,
9 jul 2010, 17:55:279/7/10
a diy...@googlegroups.com,kan...@gmail.com
On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 4:19 PM, Marc Juul wrote:
> Are any DIYbio people attending the HOPE (hackers on planet earth)
> conference in NYC (July 16-18)?

There are some interesting biohacking-related talks that you should
watch out for:

http://thenexthope.org/talks-list/

---------------------

Cooking for Geeks

Jeff Potter

Are you interested in the science behind what happens to the food in
your kitchen? Do you want to learn what makes a recipe work so you can
improvise instead of simply following a set of instructions? In this
talk, Jeff Potter, author of the forthcoming O’Reilly book Cooking for
Geeks, will share the key insights into what happens in the kitchen
from a geek perspective so that you can improvise and create your own
unique dishes.

---------------------

Design of a Wireless EMG

Konstantin Avdashchenko

This talk is a summary of all the steps taken in designing a wireless
EMG. Such a device is capable of using the faint electrical signals
that muscles give off when used in controlling other systems.
Konstantin’s current design is a combination of power supply circuitry
to run off a lithium-ion battery, a nRF24l01+ chip for wireless
capability, a PIC 18F4550 as the brains of the device, and an
amplification board to amplify EMG signals. This presentation will
show how each of these elements come together to create a wireless
EMG. The talk will cover the sections of design, manufacture, testing,
coding, and future work.

---------------------

For Its Own Sake and to Build Something Better: A Primer on
Neuroscience, Bat Echolocation, and Hacker Bio-inspiration

Scott Livingston

This talk will introduce bat echolocation, in both behavioral and
neuroscientific contexts, demonstrate relevance to engineered (sonar)
systems, and provide a description of and results from Scott’s effort
to study spatial aspects of bat sonar beams. There will also be an
outline of ideas for improving ultrasound range finders (e.g., as
common in robotics) and time for discussion.

---------------------

Arse Elektronika: Sex, Tech, and the Future of Screw-It-Yourself

Johannes Grenzfurthner

We may not forget that mankind is a sexual and tool-using species.

From the depiction of a vulva in a cave painting to the newest
Internet porno, technology and sexuality have always been closely
linked. New technologies are quick to appeal to pornography consumers,
and thus these customers represent a profitable market segment for the
suppliers of new products and services.

Currently, all factors show that high-tech developments owe a great
deal of their success to the need for further sexual stimulation. One
could cite the example provided by the science fiction concept of a
full-body interface designed to produce sexual stimulation. But it
isn’t science fiction anymore. It’s DIY.

As bio-hacking, sexually enhanced bodies, genetic utopias, and
plethora of gender have long been the focus of literature, science
fiction and, increasingly, pornography, this year will see us explore
the possibilities that fictional and authentic bodies have to offer.
Our world is already way more bizarre than our ancestors could have
ever imagined. But it may not be bizarre enough. “Bizarre enough for
what?” you might ask. Bizarre enough to subvert the heterosexist
matrix that is underlying our world and that we should hack and
overcome for some quite pressing reasons within the next century.

Don’t you think, replicants?

---------------------

Free Software: Why We Need a Big Tent

Deb Nicholson

There’s been a lot of talk about diversity in free software lately.
This talk will cover why that’s important and introduce some of the
tactics from the political organizing world that can be used to build
a successful free software project and by extension a successful free
software movement. Expect references to Saul Alinksy and Cesar Chavez
as well as a bit of an introduction to free software and what it means
for our increasingly technology-dependent world.

---------------------

Hackers for Human Rights

Adrian Hong

There are tremendous humanitarian and human rights problems throughout
the world today. While technology is generally seen as a force for
good, plenty of closed societies have used technology to clamp down on
their citizens and stifle human rights. Already the fight over
Internet freedom and data security has cost the lives or liberties of
dissidents in countries like Iran, China, Vietnam, and Russia.
Citizens have been sentenced to long jail terms and hard labor for a
critical blog posting, or accessing foreign news sites. Creative
technological efforts can combat oppressive forces, protect
dissidents, journalists, and activists, and save lives. There are some
really exciting ways folks with all sorts of talents can get involved
in the global effort for human rights and humanitarian improvement.
Come hear about some of the efforts that seek to help the oppressed
worldwide, and how you can help.

---------------------

Hackers without Borders: Disaster Relief and Technology

Smokey, Elena, Dennison Williams

An hour long, multimedia presentation examining the past, present, and
future roles that digital and wireless technology can play on the
ground during natural and manmade disasters. This discussion will
examine why government (FEMA and the National Guard) and big relief
organizations (Red Cross and Salvation Army) have gotten the basic
premises of disaster relief wrong, using Katrina and 9/11 as examples.
Ingenious, informal technological innovations emerging during
disasters that promoted effective self-organized relief efforts will
be focused upon. The panel will also look at how the hacker
communities can create novel and powerfully effective technologies to
aid people, and support grassroots self-organizing during disasters.

---------------------

Hackerspaces Forever: A Panel Presented by Hackerspaces.org

Nick Farr (HacDC, Washington DC, USA), Mitch Altman (Noisebridge, San
Francisco, USA), Sean Bonner (Crashspace, Los Angeles, USA /
HackspaceSG, Singapore), Johannes Grenzfurthner (hackbus.at, Vienna,
Austria), Markus “fin” Hametner (Metalab, Vienna, Austria), Alexander
Heid (HackMiami, Miami, FL, USA), Nathan “JimShoe” Warner (Makers
Local 256, Huntsville, AL, USA), Matt Joyce (NYC Resistor, Brooklyn,
NY, USA), Carlyn Maw (Crashspace, Los Angeles, CA, USA), Far McKon
(Hive 76, Philadelphia, PA, USA), Psytek (Alpha One Labs, Brooklyn,
NY, USA)

We called your excuses invalid at The Last HOPE and you proved us
right! Since launching hackerspaces.org at The Last HOPE, there’s been
phenomenal worldwide growth in the hackerspaces movement. Continuing
to build on progress, this panel discussion brought to you by
Hackerspaces.org will focus on strategies to help avoid drama, grow
your hackerspace, and connect with your community.

---------------------

Hacking Our Biochemistry: Pharmacy and the Hacker Perspective

Jennifer Ortiz

We are complex biochemical machines. With advances in science and
medicine, we have taken to pharmaceutically hacking ourselves. Hackers
are in a unique position to understand the way we design and use drugs
to manipulate disease states and to hack microorganisms that are
attempting to hack us. With drugs we send chemical instructions to
biological processes to change what they do. How do these instructions
work? How can we tweak them? With thought-provoking examples, a
pharmacy student shows how the hacker perspective is applied to our
biochemistry to improve our quality of life.

---------------------

Hacking the Food Genome

Gweeds

Cooking’s pretty awesome, but meatspace is such a drag! Can’t you just
write a shell script to figure out what’s delicious? What would the
programming language for the Star Trek Food Replicator look like? Join
Gweeds and the Food Hacking team for an in-depth demonstration of the
Food Genome – an open source culinary informatics platform used for
designing menus, disassembling recipes, and visualizing the planet’s
taste gestalt.

---------------------

Hey, Don’t Call That Guy A Noob: Toward a More Welcoming Hacker Community

Nicolle (“Rogueclown”) Neulist

The hacker community strives to develop and exchange cutting-edge
ideas. A key component of achieving that goal is continuing to involve
new people in the community, since they can add fresh perspectives
from which to view all types of hacking. However, either because of
the perception of the hacker community as something secretive or
nervousness about interacting with people who are supposedly more
knowledgeable, it can be a daunting experience for someone new to not
only get involved, but also to want to remain involved in the
community. This talk aims to make people in the hacker community aware
of the concerns that people new to it face, and provide concrete steps
for building a culture of making new people feel welcomed and
valuable.

---------------------

How to Run an Open Source Hardware Company

Limor “Ladyada” Fried, Phillip Torrone

In this session, open source hardware pioneers Limor “Ladyada” Fried
of Adafruit Industries and Phillip Torrone of MAKE Magazine show how
anyone can start their own open source hardware business. The talk
will show how Adafruit runs its open hardware business, top to bottom
– from choosing a PCB (printed circuit board) manufacturer to
selecting which open source online shopping cart works best for
selling electronics online. Limor and Phil will also give a detailed
overview of the top ten open source hardware businesses, what they do,
and what you can learn from their projects and products. If you’re
considering turning your electronics hobby into a full-fledged
business, this is a talk not to miss.

---------------------

Interaction with Sensors, Receivers, Haptics, and Augmented Reality

Pan, Ryan O’Horo, Micha Cardenas / Azdel Slade, Elle Mehrmand,
TradeMark G. (Evolution Control Committee)

Electronic sensor technology has been increasing in resolution while
decreasing in cost. The ubiquity of GPS receivers has created the
ability to obtain location-based information on demand. At the same
time, Augmented Reality interfaces are becoming more popular in the
consumer market. From the micro-level of delicate touch sensors in
haptic interfaces to the macro-level of GPS positioning, these trends
make physically interactive computing more and more accessible. This
session will provide an overview of motion/light/heat sensors, GPS
receivers, haptic interfaces, and other interactive electronics. Along
with an explanation of how they work, several projects that utilize
these technologies in the consumer, creative, and social realms will
be covered. There will be an audience participation section where
users will get a chance to explore sensors and electronics themselves.

---------------------

Spy Improv on Steroids – Steele Uncensored – Anything Goes

Robert Steele

Steele has gotten past the anger and is now offering up icy-cold
straight public intelligence in the public interest. A recovering spy,
founder of the modern Open Source Intelligence (OSINT) movement, #1
reviewer of nonfiction as rated by readers at Amazon, and now
practicing what he preaches deep in the jungles of Central America,
Steele, who reads in 98 categories and is down to his last of nine
lives, will answer any question on any topic for as long as it takes.
The record is four hours. He may die soon, so he wants to try for six
hours.

---------------------

Why You Should Be an Amateur

Ben Jackson

Lots of people think the “maker culture” is a relatively new
phenomenon. However, one group has been doing it for close to 100
years: amateur radio operators. While some dismiss amateur radio as an
aging artifact from decades ago, today’s radio amateurs are putting
together wide area wireless networks, developing digital protocols
that use the tiniest amount of bandwidth, and building radios from
scratch. This presentation will review the basics of amateur radio,
the advantages over unlicensed devices, and areas of interest you can
apply to your existing projects.

- Bryan
http://heybryan.org/
1 512 203 0507

Russell .

no leída,
14 jul 2010, 2:26:2114/7/10
a diy...@googlegroups.com
I'll be THERE!!!!

Hey Marc! Did you make it to Boston?

> --

Marc Juul

no leída,
14 jul 2010, 9:53:4914/7/10
a diy...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 8:26 AM, Russell . <russel...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'll be THERE!!!!

Cool. Let's meet :)

> Hey Marc!  Did you make it to Boston?

No. Didn't really get a clear reply from the boston group. I did go
and talk to the nyc group though.

--
Marc

Sung won Lim

no leída,
14 jul 2010, 10:18:4914/7/10
a diy...@googlegroups.com
I think I'll be there, as well as some Genspace/DIYbio NYC people. We should try to meet up!

-sung

--

Marc Juul

no leída,
17 jul 2010, 15:01:3417/7/10
a diy...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 4:18 PM, Sung won Lim <4phl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think I'll be there, as well as some Genspace/DIYbio NYC people. We should
> try to meet up!

Want to meet up at the hammock hangout? In an hour or two?

--
Marc

Responder a todos
Responder al autor