DIY Bio-regulations

etienne thillaye

Apr 18, 2010, 2:55:14 AM4/18/10
to DIYbio
Ever been in love ? Is that genetics ? How to rule emotions ? When
will the Bio-power enter the White House ?
I mean, you know nobody believes it. So there will be a kind of BIG
momentum. What shall we do, just laugh ?

Daniel C.

Apr 18, 2010, 12:27:50 PM4/18/10
to diy...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Apr 18, 2010 at 12:55 AM, etienne thillaye
<etienne....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ever been in love ? Is that genetics ? How to rule emotions ? When
> will the Bio-power enter the White House ?
> I mean, you know nobody believes it. So there will be a kind of BIG
> momentum. What shall we do, just laugh ?

I'm sorry, but I have no idea what you mean by this.

etienne thillaye

Apr 19, 2010, 2:16:47 AM4/19/10
to DIYbio
Just, since I see that nobody talks about those revolutions yet in
France, which will be the same kind as the nuclear weapon in 1944
(which would explode, or not), translating into reality Kant's
predictions about universal history, shall I... Well...sorry boring
subject...

On 18 avr, 18:27, "Daniel C." <dcrooks...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 18, 2010 at 12:55 AM, etienne thillaye

Cathal Garvey

Apr 19, 2010, 4:19:13 AM4/19/10
to diy...@googlegroups.com

..are you asking "What do we think of synthetic biology superweapons, whether invented to kill, control or terrorise?"

If so, it's my opinion that biowarfare is unlikely to present a serious option in the near future fir any end of a conflict.

Recall first that biowarfare is an ancient concept and tactic. It has never been popular because of the risk of backlash. Nowadays it's even less likely to be popular.

If you're a powerful country, you can afford a decent bioweapon but your people will need treatment or vaccination before you use it: nukes are cheaper.

If you're a smaller player, your people will get sicker and die more if you employ a bioweapon. Your larger foe can afford to develop and administer treatment.

Can a bioweapon be precisely tailored to kill only certain ethnicities? Not without harrowing difficulty, and not effectively.

Because all races are ultimately the same barring biologically trivial idiosyncracies, you'd need to use genetic logic to detect those differences.

To preserve this state of exceptional, disadvantageous specificity, you'd have to make the agent very genetically stable. Which leaves it absolutely vulnerable to immune defence or vaccination. If you don't, it'll revert to a more general specificity and you'll catch your own racist plague.

My short answer: the self replicating power of synthetic biology makes it exceptionally powerful as an industrial, remedial or novel technology. But as a weapon, it's not practical.

On 18 avr, 18:27, "Daniel C." <dcrooks...@gmail.com> wrote: > On Sun, Apr 18, 2010 at 12:55 AM, eti...

> <etienne.thill...@gmail.com> wrote: > > Ever been in love ? Is that genetics ? How to rule emotion...

-- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "DIYbio" group. To po...

Tom Randall

Apr 19, 2010, 9:40:55 PM4/19/10
to DIYbio
Is a chimpanzee writing this etienne stuff, this seems to be
gibberish.

On Apr 19, 2:16 am, etienne thillaye <etienne.thill...@gmail.com>

Mackenzie Cowell

Apr 19, 2010, 10:02:48 PM4/19/10
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Please don't feed the trolls.
--
+1.231.313.9062 / m...@diybio.org / @100ideas

Cathal Garvey

Apr 20, 2010, 3:39:11 AM4/20/10
to diy...@googlegroups.com

Besides, chimps are awesome.

On Apr 20, 2010 3:03 a.m., "Mackenzie Cowell" <m...@diybio.org> wrote:

Please don't feed the trolls.

On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 9:40 PM, Tom Randall <tara...@gmail.com> wrote: > > Is a chimpanzee writ...

-- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "DIYbio" group. To p...

etienne thillaye

Apr 20, 2010, 4:59:54 AM4/20/10
to DIYbio
Sorry, you misunderstood me. Both of us are already dead as we say, so
the question is not "will we all die". We won't (by the way I'm
confident there is absolutely no risks at all...). Kant said, once you
have only two opponents, wars will stop. And well that's a fact, since
1945, with the cold war, not major peace breaking. Some other say it's
because of nuclear weapon : too dangerous to be shot. I would say :
nuclear weapon is the opponent. So, absurd thinkink drives me to the
conclusion : what's the point about biotechnology ? You guys are
creating the opponent. Why ? What do you fear ? What will stop then
automatically ? Strange...kind of reconciliation between Hegel and
Comte...Idealism in History and Religion of Science...France and
Germany...1945...Who is the so-called opponent ? Ben Laden ? For sure
Biotechnologies are the most "god-like" type of science...

On 20 avr, 09:39, Cathal Garvey <cathalgar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Besides, chimps are awesome.
>
> On Apr 20, 2010 3:03 a.m., "Mackenzie Cowell" <m...@diybio.org> wrote:
>
> Please don't feed the trolls.

Cathal Garvey

Apr 20, 2010, 6:07:43 AM4/20/10
to diy...@googlegroups.com

I don't think anyone's advocating new superweapons from biotech. In fact, I think that'd be strategically and sensibly dense in the extreme.

So, nukes stay dominant. Two opponents et cetera.

On Apr 20, 2010 9:59 a.m., "etienne thillaye" <etienne....@gmail.com> wrote:

Sorry, you misunderstood me. Both of us are already dead as we say, so
the question is not "will we all die". We won't (by the way I'm
confident there is absolutely no risks at all...). Kant said, once you
have only two opponents, wars will stop. And well that's a fact, since
1945, with the cold war, not major peace breaking. Some other say it's
because of nuclear weapon : too dangerous to be shot. I would say :
nuclear weapon is the opponent. So, absurd thinkink drives me to the
conclusion : what's the point about biotechnology ? You guys are
creating the opponent. Why ? What do you fear ? What will stop then
automatically ? Strange...kind of reconciliation between Hegel and
Comte...Idealism in History and Religion of Science...France and
Germany...1945...Who is the so-called opponent ? Ben Laden ? For sure
Biotechnologies are the most "god-like" type of science...

On 20 avr, 09:39, Cathal Garvey <cathalgar...@gmail.com> wrote: > Besides, chimps are awesome. >

> On Apr 20, 2010 3:03 a.m., "Mackenzie Cowell" <m...@diybio.org> wrote: > > Please don't feed the t...

> On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 9:40 PM, Tom Randall <tarand...@gmail.com> wrote: > > > Is a chimpanzee wr...

> > -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups > "DIYbio" group. T...

etienne thillaye

Apr 20, 2010, 9:21:37 AM4/20/10
to DIYbio
Well I'd say something more like instead of being able to destroy all
life we'll be able to re-create it...maybe Oppenheimer was the
antechrist...and I'm surprised, for now thirty years nobody believes
in anything...I think nobody really cares about destroying the whole
earth...if you redefine the rules...then you'll know who is the
opponent...

On 20 avr, 12:07, Cathal Garvey <cathalgar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't think anyone's advocating new superweapons from biotech. In fact, I
> think that'd be strategically and sensibly dense in the extreme.
>
> So, nukes stay dominant. Two opponents et cetera.
>
> On Apr 20, 2010 9:59 a.m., "etienne thillaye" <etienne.thill...@gmail.com>

Cathal Garvey

Apr 20, 2010, 9:37:58 AM4/20/10
to diy...@googlegroups.com

I think there have been several antichrists by now. The entry requirements have really gone downhill.

On 20 avr, 12:07, Cathal Garvey <cathalgar...@gmail.com> wrote: > I don't think anyone's advocating...

> On Apr 20, 2010 9:59 a.m., "etienne thillaye" <etienne.thill...@gmail.com>

> wrote: > > Sorry, you misunderstood me. Both of us are already dead as we say, so > the question i...

Bryan Bishop

Apr 20, 2010, 11:50:19 AM4/20/10
to diybio, Open Manufacturing, diytrans...@googlegroups.com, Transhuman Tech, kan...@gmail.com