Stem Cell Clinic shut down.

leaking pen

Jun 10, 2010, 6:42:04 PM6/10/10
to diy...@googlegroups.com

Anselm Levskaya

Jun 10, 2010, 9:06:42 PM6/10/10
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Um,
these 'stem cell clinics' in a lot of central america are definitely
sketchy as hell and often peddle injecting dubiously-labelled stem
cells as some kind of magic panacea. I know rich, quirky california
families that get them injected to treat cellulite, etc...

Engineered stem cells will utterly revolutionize medicine, but we
really don't know how to use them yet in the clinic (with perhaps a
few exceptions). Hell, we can't even control their fate switching
beyond the level of black magic one-off's yet. Basically it's
magic-sauce that seems to do something when you inject them in the
right place.

So this place was almost certainly a clinic of ~quacks. The
anarcho-capitalist in me thinks we should probably have more
potentially dangerous quacks in the world, because it's one of the
best ways to select against stupidity (provided children are protected
against them). In so far as you believe/realize people are totally
inept at skeptically sorting medical information though, I think a
minimal level of reality checks aren't such a bad thing here.

BTW: The one place western diybio should steer completely clear of
for the time being is clinical therapeutics. Going quack is the best
way to earn federal ire and get regulated into the ground.
(diagnostics, information services, etc. are another thing entirely
though)

-A

Parijata D. Mackey

Jun 10, 2010, 9:33:49 PM6/10/10
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, it's epic sketch out there. Unlike most uber-sketch stem cell clinics, there are maybe a few legit clinics out there, mostly using autologous MSCs. I was (uncharacteristically) impressed by Dr. Chris Centano's Regenexx clinic in Broomfield, Colorado. The therapy is definitively safe, fairly low-cost (~$8K), and actually seems to work (sans typical grandiose claims).

Chris is an intelligent, rational guy, who founded the physician's oversight group, The American Stem Cell Therapy Association (ASCTA), now called the International Cellular Medicine Group (which h+ Magazine did an article about), which focuses on ranking the legitimacy of stem cell clinics, and keeping adult stem cells safe from costly and corrupt FDA regulation (following the same methodology that the doctors used to keep IVF out of FDA hands).

There are some good papers out there, if anyone cares to read them, such as:

If anyone has any thoughts on other stem cell clinics, papers, or procedures, I'd love to hear!

Cheers,
Jata :-)
--
Parijata Mackey
University of Chicago

“Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.” --Frank Herbert

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” --Oscar Wilde

〈 φuantum mⅇcℎanics | tℎ∈ dℝ∈ams stuff aℝⅇ ma∂ⅇ o⨖ 〉

Ben Gadoua

Jun 28, 2010, 3:24:27 AM6/28/10
to diy...@googlegroups.com

At the lab where I used to work we worked MSC related therapies for heart disease, specifically dilated cardiomyopathy, and guess what it worked in hamsters! But so did Andre other therapies we tried, supposedly IL-11 and definitely VEGF. Now then, I am not sure that I am willing to inject any of these things into myself, but I know they definitely help with some diseases, we also noticed that the hamsters were much healthier with treatment than without, even with low doses of treatment that did not cause significant heart improvements.

--
Parijata Mackey
University of Chicago
pari...@gmail.com
www.parijata.com

“Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.” --Frank Herbert

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” --Oscar Wilde

〈 φuantum mⅇcℎanics | tℎ∈ dℝ∈ams stuff aℝⅇ ma∂ⅇ o⨖ 〉

To post to...