Printable Pippette Wall Hanger

Cathal Garvey

Oct 10, 2011, 4:09:10 PM10/10/11
to diybio
Hey all,
This isn't hitting Thingiverse til I print it myself, but here's a pre-release in case anyone else is having this "where are my pippettes?!" problem.

It's a parameterised script for OpenSCAD (openscad.org), and you'll probably need to edit the script to get gaps to suit your own micropippettes.
The included models are for 20-mm and 25-mm gaps. 20mm *should* suit "Pipetman" style Gilsons, for at least one supported model.

It's also assumed you'll be screwing it into something with 3mm or less screws, and countersinking is included in the screw-holes. You can edit this in the parameters, too.
I have *not* printed this yet, it mightn't print correctly etc.
If you do print it, please share pictures and feedback.

All the best,
Cathal
--
www.indiebiotech.com
twitter.com/onetruecathal

20mm-20mm-20mm Micropippette Hangar.stl
25mm-25mm-25mm Micropippette Hangar.stl
Micropippette Hanger.scad
Screenshot.png

Patrik

Oct 11, 2011, 3:20:20 AM10/11/11
to DIYbio
Looks good. I was thinking that pipette holders might be a good
application for laser cut acrylic though. You need something fairly
large, but it's mostly straight lines, without any complex curves.

Laser cutters still seem somewhat more available fro most people than
3D printers, although that seems to be changing rapidly.

On Oct 10, 1:09 pm, Cathal Garvey <cathalgar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey all,
> This isn't hitting Thingiverse til I print it myself, but here's a
> pre-release in case anyone else is having this "where are my pippettes?!"
> problem.
>
> It's a parameterised script for OpenSCAD (openscad.org), and you'll probably
> need to edit the script to get gaps to suit your own micropippettes.
> The included models are for 20-mm and 25-mm gaps. 20mm *should* suit
> "Pipetman" style Gilsons, for at least one supported model.
>
> It's also assumed you'll be screwing it into something with 3mm or less
> screws, and countersinking is included in the screw-holes. You can edit this
> in the parameters, too.
> I have *not* printed this yet, it mightn't print correctly etc.
> If you do print it, please share pictures and feedback.
>
> All the best,
> Cathal
> --
> <http://letters.cunningprojects.com>www.indiebiotech.com
> twitter.com/onetruecathal
> joindiaspora.com/u/cathalgarvey
> PGP Public Key:http://bit.ly/CathalGKey<http://twitter.com/onetruecathal>
>
>  20mm-20mm-20mm Micropippette Hangar.stl
> 196KViewDownload
>
>  25mm-25mm-25mm Micropippette Hangar.stl
> 199KViewDownload
>
>  Micropippette Hanger.scad
> 4KViewDownload
>
>  Screenshot.png
> 11KViewDownload

Cathal Garvey

Oct 11, 2011, 7:21:54 AM10/11/11
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Considering the vast difference in cost, I'm not sure why that is.. but
I would dearly love a laser cutter. :)

Sadly I have not yet developed the skillset for designing lasercuttable
things. Perhaps I haven't found the right software yet (don't anybody
suggest Adobe anything to me, please. FLOSS or death!)

Cory Tobin

Oct 11, 2011, 8:12:37 PM10/11/11
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Another way to store pipettes is to use the large black paper clips,
like so: http://imgur.com/PFygz Just clip the paperclip to the edge
of a shelf and you're ready to go. Not quite as pretty but it gets
the job done.

-cory

Nathan McCorkle

Oct 11, 2011, 8:45:49 PM10/11/11
to diy...@googlegroups.com
with the paper clips though, your pipette barrels could get contammed!!!

> --

Nathan McCorkle
Rochester Institute of Technology
College of Science, Biotechnology/Bioinformatics

Lisa Thalheim

Oct 12, 2011, 4:15:54 AM10/12/11
to diy...@googlegroups.com
could you elaborate on that? i'm about to laser-cut my first attempt
at a pipette stand, and i'm getting the feeling here that i may have
missed something in my design...

Brian Reichholf

Oct 12, 2011, 5:32:02 AM10/12/11
to diy...@googlegroups.com
I guess what Nathan meant was, that you ideally want to *hang* pipettes and not stand them in something. If those paper clips (or whatever other solution you use) are dirty you might transfer the dirt into your sample, while if they hang from the top (see commercial pipette stands such as this Gilson pipette carrousel http://www.gilson.com/Images/Product/Product233-en.jpg) the barrel doesn't get unnecessarily dirty.

Cathal Garvey

Oct 12, 2011, 5:53:13 AM10/12/11
to diy...@googlegroups.com
However, as a cheap hack, that paperclip idea is awesome. :)

Maybe if you copper plate them they'd be less likely to harbour contaminants? Quick job; car battery, a copper coin and some copper sulphate solution.

(nb for those unfamiliar with this concept: Copper is a naturally antimicrobial metal, particularly if combined with blue light/sunlight)