Backyard Brains hiring educator and developer

Tim @ Backyard Brains

Jun 13, 2011, 8:05:01 AM6/13/11
to DIYbio
Hi Folks,
We're working hard bringing spikes (neuron electrical activity) to
everyone, and some of you in this group are quite familiar with and
use our gear. We're based in Ann Arbor, MI, and are looking to begin
expanding our team this summer. Specifically, we need an educator and
a software developer. If you're interested, see

http://www.backyardbrains.com/NowHiring.aspx

It is also posted below. Keep up the good fight!
Cheers,
Tim

Looking for a good code monkey!
Backyard Brains is hiring! We are a start-up with the goal of offering
low cost neurotechnology for all. We recently received a NIH SBIR
grant to expand and improve our educational products. A large user
need and request has been for more features on our iPhone application
that interfaces with our inventions. We need someone full-time who
can:

-Continually innovate, develop, and maintain our iPhone Software
-Develop software compatible with Android
-Build a browser-based software package that can allow for platform
independent recording of neural data on any laptop OS.
-Infuse all products with humor, and design all products such that
they can be used as teaching tools (i.e. your code should be organized
such that it can be used to teach good coding).

Greg and Tim started this company two years ago based on their love of
building things, studying the brain, and educational outreach. We are
not a standard company, consider us a bad company that sells things
too cheaply and works too hard.
Perks of working with ByB: You'd be hip. We are changing the world and
doing something truly new. You can work out of your home and be
entirely self-directed with minimal day-to-day oversight by us, though
we will have once/week design review meetings. Occasionally (1-4 times/
month) you will help us in high school visits! Sometimes you will be
on TV and in magazines depending on the quality of your work. This job
has funding for two years, and depending on the work we all do,
perhaps more. Oh, and yes. We do offer health care.

Cons: Since we have no central office, you absolutely must have the
inner strength/zen/discipline to work productively from home or your
own mobile space. You will generally be expected to be on the grid at
all times during the work week, and weekends too depending on
deadlines. But, most 21st century people are anyway, so this is not an
extreme requirement.

If interested, send us an email with your coding experience, and
applications you have written, and an anecdote about yourself to
in...@backyardbrains.com. This position is available immediately.

Looking for a good science educator!
Backyard Brains is hiring! We are a start-up with the goal of offering
low cost neurotechnology for all. We recently received a NIH SBIR
grant to expand and improve our educational products. You can browse
our online lesson plans, but as you can see... these are difficult for
use by an autonomous teacher or a novice unfamiliar with neuroscience.
We are looking for a part-time someone (5-20 hours a week) who can
help us:

-Convert our current materials into a format teachers are comfortable
with (and that they like!). Whenever possible, these lessons should
cross-link into state and national standards.
-Help us design and implement educational research investigating if
our materials improve learning and retention of neuroscience concepts,
with the eventual goal of publishing the results in neuroscience/
educational journals.
-Continually design new experiments that students and teachers will
enjoy and learn from.

Greg and Tim started this company two years ago based on their love of
building things, studying the brain, and educational outreach. We are
not a standard company, consider us a bad company that sells things
too cheaply and works too hard.
Perks of working with ByB: You'd be hip. We are changing the world and
doing something truly new. You can work out of your home and be
entirely self-directed with minimal day-to-day oversight by us, though
we will be meeting weekly. 1-4 times a month you will also help us in
high school visits. Sometimes you will be on TV and in magazines
depending on the quality of your work. This job has funding for two
years, and depending on the work we all do, perhaps more. Oh, and yes,
we do offer health care!

Cons: Since we have no central office, you will be working from home
or your own workspace. Tim and Greg are not professional K12
educators, so you will also be teaching us along the way on best
practices.

If interested, send us an email with a sample lesson plan you have
made and a little anecdote about yourself to in...@backyardbrains.com.
UPDATE: This position has been temporarily filled but will be
available again in August.