Updates to "has diybio been in the news" on the FAQ

Bryan Bishop

Mar 28, 2010, 10:46:13 PM3/28/10
to diybio, kan...@gmail.com, Open Manufacturing
Hey all,

I updated the FAQ a bit today with several new additions to the list of news/blog articles concerning diybio. These include news articles, blog posts, including those that do not explicitly reference diybio.org, although an argument could easily be made for a clean-up eventually. Anyway, here goes:

2010-03-28: The shift from top-down to bottom-up production (brief mention)
2010-03-24: Garage Biology Bad for Science?
2010-03-23: DIYbio and the Gentleman Scientist
2010-03-11: BioSecurity: How synthetic biology is changing the way we look at biology and biological threats
2010-03-08: Garage Biology in Silicon Valley; see it on Make Magazine, The Technium (Kevin Kelly), ...
2010-03-07: The promise of biotech
2010-03-02: Inexpensive gene copier for DIY molecular biology (boingboing.net)
2010-02-26: Biotech on a Budget
2010-02-14: Do-it-yourself genetic engineering (NY Times)
2010-01-25: Why DIY Bio? (H+ Magazine)
2010-01-22: DIYbio: Growing movement takes on aging in H+ Magazine; discussed on Slashdot, reddit and ycombinator hackernews; futurismic;
2009-12-27: Taking Biological Research Out Of The Laboratory (NPR)
2009-12-20: Do-it-yourself biology grows with technology (SF Chronicle)
2009-12-14: The need for plain English diybio safety guidelines
2009-12-14: Bio-Bastler. „Kreative Wissenschaftsbürger“. (Profil)
2009-11-13: diybio-nyc at nycresistor
2009-08-06: DIY bio groups forming
2009-08-01: Am I a biohazard? (The Scientist)
2009-07-25: DIYbio, biohackers, and Open Source Medicine
2009-07-20: DIYbio considers mushroom identification (mycorant.com)
2009-06-18: CNC Plotter: A platform for DIY Bio/rapid-prototyping/sculpture-image experiments (invivia.com)
2009-06-15: Darning Genes: Biology for the Homebody
2009-06-12: Teen Diagnoses Her Own Disease In Science Class (slashdot.org); cnn
2009-06-01: The death of DIY Bio? Or the birth of a new cuisine.... (Gourmet Magazine)
2009-05-18: In attics and closets, "biohackers" prove the spirit of Thomas Edison endures
2009-05-15: Garage Ribofunk: The Rise of Homebrew Genetic Engineering
2009-05-12: In Attics and Closets, 'Biohackers' Discover Their Inner Frankenstein
2009-04-29: Who is diybio.org? (Singularity Hub)
2009-04-28: Do-it-yourself biohacking (Singularity Hub)
2009-03-18: The Geneticist in the Garage
2009-03-16: Genomeweb.com article (?)
2009-03-16: DIY bio, programming culture, and the cultural divide
2009-01-19: DIY DNA: One Father's Attempt to Hack His Daughter's Genetic Code
2009-01-07: Rise of the garage genome hackers
2009-01-01: DIYbio for biohackers (makezine.com)
2008-12-30: Students, Scientists Build Biological Machines (transcript) (Lehrer on PBS) (video)
2008-12-29: DIY bio will not end the world
2008-12-25: Amateurs are trying genetic engineering at home (Slashdot)
2008-12-18: Público: Biohackers: reventar y reinventar la biología desde los garajes
2008-12-11: The Biohacking Hobbyist
2008-09-15: Hackers aim to make biology household practice
2007-06-14: Terrorizing the artists in the USA
2005-05-01: Splice it yourself
2004-06-02: Offbeat Materials at Professor's Home Set Off Bioterror Alarm

The FAQ is currently hosted here:
http://openwetware.org/wiki/DIYbio/FAQ

And this section is over here:
http://openwetware.org/wiki/DIYbio/FAQ#Has_DIYbio_been_in_the_news.3F

I also completely forgot to add in stuff like "Fish Tale Has DNA Hook: Students Find Bad Labels":
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/22/science/22fish.html
.. and i.e., the Nature Magazine article that I presently forget the name of.

Anyway, one possible use for this work is to help improve the Wikipedia article with citations:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DIYbio

As you can see, it definitely needs it! One way to easily generate mediawiki-compatible citations is to use something like zotero, a firefox-extension that can scrape metadata from article pages (especially on popular blogs or blogs using standard metadata tags). Then, there's a menu somewhere deep inside for exporting to mediawiki citation text formats and plugging into a page on Wikipedia.

http://zotero.org/
http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/196/integration-with-wikipedia-reference-system/

- Bryan
http://heybryan.org/
1 512 203 0507

Cathal Garvey

Mar 29, 2010, 4:46:54 AM3/29/10
to diy...@googlegroups.com

Awesome work, and thanks for that plugin ref! Also, this Saturday just gone, Brian Degger and I git a minute on BBC News for our DIYbio table at makerfaire..but outside the UK there's no way to watch the segment. Ah well!

Mackenzie Cowell

Mar 29, 2010, 10:14:59 AM3/29/10
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Awesome work Bryan.  Cathal, I'm in Edinburgh for one more day and would be happy to make a recording of the program for others - what's the address to it?
--
+1.231.313.9062 / m...@diybio.org / @100ideas

Brian Degger

Mar 29, 2010, 10:31:05 AM3/29/10
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Mackenzie Cowell,

It's http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00rvz94/Click_27_03_2010/

Next time you are in Ediburgh let me know, its only a 1.5 hour
intercity train ride from Newcastle Upon Tyne.

Cheers,
Brian

Simon Quellen Field

Mar 30, 2010, 12:51:22 PM3/30/10
to diy...@googlegroups.com
You can get around this weird protection nonsense pretty easily.
What you need is a proxy server in the U.K.

They have fast proxy servers in 19 cities around the world, including London.

I am watching the show at the moment using the perfect-privacy.com server
in London, and there are no video dropouts at all, so that server is indeed
quite fast.

And, of course, other benefits come for free with a proxy server.
As far as anyone on the Web knows, you are in London, and nothing
connects you back to your actual location.  This is used by Chinese dissidents
to communicate freely without being traced.

Combine that with Google Chrome's "incognito windows" and you have pretty
effective protection of your privacy.

There are free proxy servers that aren't as fast or convenient, but perfect-privacy.com
is inexpensive.

Simon Quellen Field

Mar 30, 2010, 12:54:30 PM3/30/10
to diy...@googlegroups.com
After viewing for a while, I realized I recognized the host of the show.
I have access to the show through BBC Television on my satellite TV
connection, as well as on the 'Net via the proxy server.
Tell your PVR to record it for you.

Cathal Garvey

Mar 31, 2010, 11:41:21 AM3/31/10
to diy...@googlegroups.com
My interview was put up more fully here, with no need for routing or IP obfuscating:
Longer segment of video after Joris Peels of Shapeways, and the text below is all DIYbio/Synthetic Biology!
Joy!