diybio in iGEM

Mackenzie Cowell

Feb 9, 2009, 4:34:16 PM2/9/09
to diy...@googlegroups.com
How Garagistas,

Have you thought about presenting your work in iGEM 2009? The
competition is opening its doors to the wider community of biohackers
for the first time this year with a non-institutional teams division.
I spoke with Randy Rettberg on Friday about the specifics and blogged
about it at http://diybio.org/2009/02/09/diyigem/, but here's the
scoop:

* Team registration will be $500, due March 31.
* There will be an additional per-person Jamboree fee later
* All teams will have access to iGEM Partner deals ($0.20/bp synthesis
from GeneArt; MatLab + simbiology toolkit)
* All teams can request parts from the Registry. Requests will have
to be approved by a Safety Committee.
* Each team will get to present their work with a 5-minute talk and a
poster at the Jamboree
* The Jamboree will be Oct 31 - Nov 2.

I'm starting a "diygem" team here in Boston, and there may be one or
two more locally. I think iGEM would be a great place to present just
about all the projects I've heard about so far on the list: the Gel
Box 2.0 and power supply, Keiko gels, BioWeatherMaps, the SmartLab,
Glogurt, the Melanometor, the DIY electroporator and sonoporator,
allele-specific self-genotyping, the arduino turbidistat... the list
goes on.

So, check out the post and reply to this thread or to me personally if
you have any questions. I'm sure this is a topic we'll be seeing more
of in the future.

Mac

William Heath

Feb 9, 2009, 5:08:11 PM2/9/09
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Anyone in the bay area want to form one?  I went to the diy bio meeting at Noisebridge this weekend it was awsome!

-Tim

P.S.

I wish we could find some funding etc.... 500.00 is no fun :(

mostromundo

Feb 10, 2009, 10:19:21 PM2/10/09
to DIYbio
Yeah! My friend and I are in the Bay Area and we're interested in this
stuff, so that's at least two more people right there. Have to say
though, we both have a pronounced lack of experience in
bioengineering :P

On Feb 9, 2:08 pm, William Heath <wghe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Anyone in the bay area want to form one?  I went to the diy bio meeting at
> Noisebridge this weekend it was awsome!
>
> -Tim
>
> P.S.
>
> I wish we could find some funding etc.... 500.00 is no fun :(
>

> On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 1:34 PM, Mackenzie Cowell <m...@diybio.org> wrote:
>
> > How Garagistas,
>
> > Have you thought about presenting your work in iGEM 2009?  The
> > competition is opening its doors to the wider community of biohackers
> > for the first time this year with a non-institutional teams division.
> > I spoke with Randy Rettberg on Friday about the specifics and blogged
> > about it athttp://diybio.org/2009/02/09/diyigem/, but here's the
> > scoop:
>
> > * Team registration will be $500, due March 31.
> > * There will be an additional per-person Jamboree fee later
> > * All teams will have access to iGEM Partner deals ($0.20/bp synthesis
> > from GeneArt; MatLab + simbiology toolkit)
> > * All teams can request parts from the Registry.  Requests will have
> > to be approved by a Safety Committee.
> > * Each team will get to present their work with a 5-minute talk and a
> > poster at the Jamboree
> > * The Jamboree will be Oct 31 - Nov 2.
>
> > I'm starting a "diygem" team here in Boston, and there may be one or
> > two more locally.  I think iGEM would be a great place to present just
> > about all the projects I've heard about so far on the list: the Gel
> > Box 2.0 and power supply, Keiko gels, BioWeatherMaps, the SmartLab,
> > Glogurt, the Melanometor, the DIY electroporator and sonoporator,
> > allele-specific self-genotyping, the arduino turbidistat... the list
> > goes on.
>
> > So, check out the post and reply to this thread or to me personally if
> > you have any questions.  I'm sure this is a topic we'll be seeing more
> > of in the future.
>
> > Mac- Hide quoted text -

William Heath

Feb 11, 2009, 12:53:32 PM2/11/09
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Awsome!  Well, you can almost trip and discover something new in bio engineering.  I would like to get together this Saturday at Noisebridge and do some experiments.  You in?

-Tim

mostromundo

Feb 11, 2009, 4:22:37 PM2/11/09
to DIYbio
Ah, this Saturday's busy for me, and my friend Dave has to work. We'll
try and meet up with you there sometime, though, we're both pretty
keen to try out a few experiments. How does Noisebridge work, BTW? Is
there just space there for people to use for projects whenever they
need it?

Micah

Marnia Johnston

Feb 13, 2009, 2:01:21 PM2/13/09
to diy...@googlegroups.com

ArtifexCrastinus

Feb 18, 2009, 11:37:57 PM2/18/09
to DIYbio
Already well into it here at Mt SAC. We just indirectly contacted the
(a?) dean. So far, we've got a website (http://sites.google.com/site/
synbioteam/), a forum, a few members, and a couple mentors. :)

On Feb 9, 1:34 pm, Mackenzie Cowell <m...@diybio.org> wrote:
> How Garagistas,
>
> Have you thought about presenting your work in iGEM 2009?  The
> competition is opening its doors to the wider community of biohackers
> for the first time this year with a non-institutional teams division.
> I spoke with Randy Rettberg on Friday about the specifics and blogged
> about it athttp://diybio.org/2009/02/09/diyigem/, but here's the

Paul Anderson

Feb 18, 2009, 11:50:22 PM2/18/09
to diy...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 11:37 PM, ArtifexCrastinus <death...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Already well into it here at Mt SAC. We just indirectly contacted the
> (a?) dean. So far, we've got a website (http://sites.google.com/site/
> synbioteam/), a forum, a few members, and a couple mentors. :)

Fantastic stuff! What equipment do you need to participate? I know
at least one other fellow here who would love to participate in iGEM.

--
Paul Anderson
VE3HOP

ArtifexCrastinus

Feb 19, 2009, 1:50:21 AM2/19/09
to DIYbio

On Feb 18, 8:50 pm, Paul Anderson <wackyvor...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Fantastic stuff!  What equipment do you need to participate?  I know
> at least one other fellow here who would love to participate in iGEM.

Who me? Where's "here"? One thing is 1000 more $s; it's a fee of
$1500, not $500.

Paul Anderson

Feb 19, 2009, 1:53:05 AM2/19/09
to diy...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 1:50 AM, ArtifexCrastinus <death...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Who me? Where's "here"? One thing is 1000 more $s; it's a fee of
> $1500, not $500.

Well, here would be Sarnia, ON, Canada. Yeah, $1500 is a little tight
in the time frame:) $500 can be managed.... Excuse me if I'm
confusing things, I'm extremely excited to be a part of the group, and
I'm kind of leaping into the middle of a few conversations.