List of next-generation DNA sequencing companies

Bryan Bishop

Dec 30, 2010, 5:50:03 PM12/30/10
to dis...@syntheticbiology.org, diy...@googlegroups.com, wta-...@transhumanism.org, Transhuman Tech, Bryan Bishop
:-)

List of next-generation DNA sequencing companies
http://seqanswers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=31944

"""
454 - Branford, CT - genome analysis by high throughput sequencing (sequence-by-synthesis)
Affymetrix - Santa Clara, CA - photolithographic DNA microarrays
Applied Biosystems Group (ABI) - Foster City, CA - molecular biology instrumentation and reagents
AQI Sciences - Bisbee, AZ - single-molecule sequencing technology based on FRET
Base4innovation - Coventry, UK - next-gen sequencing using single molecule, ultra long read nanosensors
BioNanomatrix - Philadelphia, PA - nanotechnology imaging
Callida Genomics - Sunnyvale, CA - sequencing by hybridization
Complete Genomics - Mountain View, CA - next-gen sequencing
Danaher - Washington, DC - medical technologies and instrumentation, including sequencing
Genome Corp. - Providence, RI - sequencing
GenoVoxx - Lübeck, Germany - developing sequencing-by-synthesis technology
GnuBio, Boston, US. Microfluidics based next-generation sequencing platform.
Halcyon Molecular - electron microscopy DNA sequencing
Helicos BioSciences - Cambridge, MA - single molecule sequencing
Illumina - San Diego, CA ; Wallingford, CT (CyVera) ; Hayward, CA (Solexa) ; Little Chesterford, UK (Solexa) - DNA microarray and next-gen sequencing
Intelligent Bio-Systems - Waltham, MA - next-gen sequencing
LaserGen - Houston, TX - next-gen sequencing based on cyclic reversible termination
Li-Cor - Lincoln, NE - life science imaging systems
LightSpeed Genomics - Sunnyvale, CA - next-gen sequencing
Mobious Genomics - Exeter, UK - ultra-long range DNA sequencing by way of "Molecular Resonance Sequencing Technology"
NABsys - Providence, RI - next-gen sequencing using "hybridization assisted nanopore sequencing"
Nanophotonics Biosciences - Menlo Park, CA - next-gen sequecing
Network Biosystems - Woburn, MA - microfulidics and nanotechnology
Oxford Nanopore Technologies, Oxford UK. Single molecule DNA Sequencing.
Pacific Biosciences - Menlo Park, CA - next-gen sequencing company
Population Genetics Technologies - , UK - next-gen sequencing
Reveo - Hawthorne, NY - technology incubator and next-gen sequencing
Seirad - Santa Fe, NM - next-gen sequencing technology and software
U.S. Genomics - Woburn, MA - single molecule ultra-long high throughput sequencing
VisiGen Biotechnologies - Houston, TX - developing whole genome sequencing
ZS Genetics - more electron microscopy-based DNA sequencing
"""

Anything else? GnuBio doesn't seem to be particularly open-source... check it out:
http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=1404200

- Bryan
http://heybryan.org/
1 512 203 0507

Josh Gourneau

Jan 2, 2011, 2:24:25 PM1/2/11
to diy...@googlegroups.com, dis...@syntheticbiology.org, wta-...@transhumanism.org, Transhuman Tech, Bryan Bishop
I don't see Life Technologies listed. Life Tech was formed by the
merger of Invitrogen and Applied Biosystems in 2008.

Life Tech also recently acquired Ion Torrent (my employer). A great
article about Ion Torrent's Personal Genome Machine can be found in
the up coming issue of Forbes.
http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2011/0117/features-jonathan-rothberg-medicine-tech-gene-machine.html

Joshua Gourneau
http://josh.gourneau.com

Bryan Bishop

Jan 5, 2011, 2:19:44 PM1/5/11
to diy...@googlegroups.com, wta-...@transhumanism.org, Transhuman Tech, Bryan Bishop
Here's a list George Church uses, I think.

1. Illumina-GA        SbP Fluorescent read-length 2*110 bp
2. AB-SOLiD           SbL Longest ligation reads
3. CGI                SbL $2000 genome, rolony grid, 100Kb haplotypes
4. Polonator          SbL/P Open-source, $170K device, 100Mb haplotypes
5. Roche-454          SbP Long reads (>0.4 kb)
6. Helicos            SbP-sm Hi h parallelism & quantitation
7. Ion Torrent        SbP $50K, small device
8. Pacific Bio        SbP-sm Long reads (>2.0 kb)
9 Intelligent Bio     SbP hexagonal grid
10. Halcyon           EM-sm Long reads (>Mb), $100 genome
11. Genizon BioSci    SbH in situ sequencing
12. LightSpeed        SbL 16X higher density >10X speed
13. Bionanomatrix     SbP-sm Fluorescent mapping
14. OxfordNanopore    Pore-protein-sm small device
15. Visigen               SbP-sm Pol <> dNTP FRET
16. ZS Genetics       EM-sm Iodine labels
17. Nabsys            Pore-SbH-sm small device
18. GE Global         SbP-sm
19. IBM               Pore Si-sm small device
20. Electronic Biosci Pore-protein-sm
21. GnuBio            SbP-picoliter droplets

The few additions are:
* CGI
* Polonator (it's a company?)
* Roche-454