Re: Elementary school science day/DIYoutreach (educational outreach for DIYbiologists)

Julie Norville

Feb 13, 2009, 3:24:41 PM2/13/09
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,
I am working to create a DIYoutreach section (educational service activities for DIYbiologists) on openwetware, so that your protocols for outreach can be used by people who wish to teach students science around the world.
Please keep these ideas in mind, so that they can be posted on a DIYoutreach section of openwetware in the future (or feel free to send them to me with the title DIYoutreach so that I can begin posting them and crediting them to you.)
You can also forward ideas for projects or actual events (that you are planning or notes from the experience after the fact) you are leading to the DIYoutreach google group (which I am hoping to launch in Mid-March and also use as a record of the DIYbio community's Outreach efforts.)  Also if you are having an event with elementary, middle, or high school students, please send me a brief description of your event.  I would like to write an article about these events in the future.
Link to DIYoutreach googlegroup:
http://groups.google.com/group/DIYoutreach?lnk=
Early DIYoutreach site (ideally we can create a whole dedicated section of openwetware for DIYbiologists and DIYoutreach and we will try to set it up so that DIYbiologists can get special accounts on openwetware soon)
http://www.openwetware.org/wiki/DIYoutreach
Best,
Julie Norville
Synthbio grad Student at MIT

On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 1:32 PM, Jeswin John <phill...@gmail.com> wrote:

Sorry, for got to post link:
On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 10:13 AM, Jeswin John <phill...@gmail.com> wrote:
Here is a simple protocol. Basically, grind up leaves in alcohol to get pigments then dot them on chromatography paper( maybe you can use coffee filter?) a couple times anc you get dark stains. Place in acetone vertically and let the acetone move up the paper, thus pulling the color with it. It will form bands I think and then you can analyze them. Different chloroplast pigments have different colors. Helps kids learn about the light absorbing nature of leaves.

On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 7:13 PM, sgt york <jv...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Well do tell...is it extracting chlorophyll?

*-----------------------------------------------------------*
Join the Revolution

http://diybio.org/
http://homebrewbioscience.blogspot.com/
*------------------------------------------------------------*

--
*-----------------------------------------------------------*
Join the Revolution

http://diybio.org/
http://homebrewbioscience.blogspot.com/
*------------------------------------------------------------*

Tyler DeWitt

Feb 14, 2009, 10:34:58 AM2/14/09
to DIYbio
so when we met last week, i told you that i was bad with names--i just
facebooked "julie norville" when i saw this post and then realized who
you were.

i may have told you that i used to teach high school and middle
school; a protocol site like this would be so welcomed by teachers who
long to share molecular biology with their students but don't have
enough money for the expensive kits, and have no idea where to start
in designing their own protocols.

let me know if/how i could help.