DIYbio workshop in the London/Cambridge UK area

stacey k

Dec 20, 2010, 11:17:59 PM12/20/10
to DIYbio
Hello,

I am a PhD student at Carnegie Mellon University, organizing a DIYbio
workshop in the London/Cambridge UK area at the end of May'11. This
workshop will explore the motivations, constraints and values embedded
in DIYbio culture, and look at parallels between the DIY and
"professional" biology domains. Ultimately, we hope to find
opportunities for collaboration, sharing and innovation between DIY
biology enthusiasts and professional biology researchers.

This email is to connect with the DIYbio community in the London/
Cambridge UK area and gauge initial interest. If nothing else, a
DIYbio workshop might be a cool way to meet other biology hobbyists
and 'professionals' in your area and get some free lunch :)

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

-Stacey

Bugs

Dec 21, 2010, 11:18:56 AM12/21/10
to DIYbio
Hi Stacey,

I'm one of the people helping to get a DIYbio community up and running
at the London Hackspace[1]. There are quite a few people interested (a
handful of us with biology backgrounds), so I'm sure you'll have some
interest from here. As you probably know, your message has been cross-
posted to our list [2], so you might get some replies cropping up
there.

I'll keep an eye on this thread and copy anything relevent across to
our list, but when dates and locations start to get set I'm sure
everyone would be very grateful if you could let us know there as well
as here.

Thanks,
Bugs

[1]http://london.hackspace.org.uk/
[2]http://groups.google.com/group/london-hack-space

Mackenzie Cowell

Jan 9, 2011, 12:34:29 AM1/9/11
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Hey Guys,

You might also drop a line to some of the students or professors behind the Imperial and Cambridge iGEM teams.  I know both are a bit keen on DIY stuff in general.

Cambridge:

Imperial:

+1.231.313.9062 / m...@diybio.org / @100ideas

CrazyCarl

Jan 16, 2011, 7:31:14 PM1/16/11
to DIYbio
Stacey,

I stumbled upon your post after searching for DIYbio and carnegie
mellon...

I'm a local here in pittsburgh and was looking for some contacts as
far as getting some grassroots research going ... really anything
along the DIYbio vein...

Would you happen to know any professors at CMU or Pitt who might have
a vested interest in getting something like this started?

-Carl