May 1 meeting wrapup, Summer planning

Mackenzie Cowell

May 28, 2008, 5:05:36 PM5/28/08
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Howdy DIYbio,

Signs of life at last - I've finally put together the list of topics people expressed interest in at the May 1 meeting.  It's included below, and available online on OpenWetWare.org, a wiki grown largely by some synthetic biologists at MIT to promote scientific collaboration and (please excuse the cliche) "publishing 2.0".

The DIYbio Meeting page on OWW links to empty pages for each topic discussed, so if you have time, drop by, click the link corresponding to one of your interests, and add a sentence or two.  (If you're not already a member of OWW, joining is easy.)

Furthermore, Jason Bobe wrote an awesome summary of the night on the DIYbio blog - check it out.

I think it would be great to organize a very informal june meetup just to chat face to face again, and then a more structured event in mid/late July where everyone could share their work.  I'll suggest some dates and ask for feedback over the next few days.

Please reply with feedback about dates, and add your thoughts to the DIYbio wiki pages.

See you all on the list,
Mac

== Topics discussed at the May 2008 Meetup ==

    *  Jason Bobe - Make a list of advice-givers: FSF, Berkman, etc.

    * Austin Che - Write a short prospectus on what a Bio Heath kit might contain

    * Austin Che - Enumerate a list of biotech companies that provide public benchspace

    * Mac Cowell, Ingrid Swanson, Jason Morrison, Benny P, Sophia - Start a Boston TECHLAB (start by writing a short prospectus)

    * John Cumbers & Jamie Gagnon - Write a short prospectus about the Planet_Genome|Planet Genome Idea

    * John Cumbers & Jamie Gagnon - produce 1 instructional video aimed at garagistas (how to do pcr etc.)

    * John Cumbers - Create a Genetic Engineering 'Scouts Badge

    * Jamie Gagnon & Kim de Mora - Design a $10 pipet, review the $10 PCR thermocycler paper

    * Jamie Gagnon & Romie - Describe how to get used lab equipment for free

    * Jason Kelly - provide info on model organisms suitable for the DIYbio movement, possibly moss

    * Tom Knight & Pam Silver - Tell us a story about historical wetlab techniques (mouth pipetting, sterile technique, maintaining a stable temperature, etc.)

    * Benny P - Tell us about the HHMI safety videos

    * Peter S-N - describe how to use a pressure-cooker as an autoclave

    * Sophia - Provide your perspective and advice as a social scientist

    * Zeev W - Write short a prospectus about how DIYbio / techlab could generate revenue from royalties

Mike K

Jun 3, 2008, 9:52:07 AM6/3/08
to DIYbio
Unfortunately, I missed the first meeting. Will there be one in June,
or is diybio on a summer hiatus? There didn't seem to be any further
discussion on this point.

On May 28, 5:05 pm, "Mackenzie Cowell" <macow...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Howdy DIYbio,
> Signs of life at last - I've finally put together the list of topics people
> expressed interest in at the May 1
> meeting<http://openwetware.org/wiki/DIYbio:Meeting_-_May_2008>.
>  It's included below, and available online on OpenWetWare.org, a wiki grown
> largely by some synthetic biologists at MIT to promote scientific
> collaboration and (please excuse the cliche) "publishing 2.0".
>
> The DIYbio Meeting page on
> OWW<http://openwetware.org/wiki/DIYbio:Meeting_-_May_2008>links to
> empty pages for each topic discussed, so if you have time, drop by,
> click the link corresponding to one of your interests, and add a sentence or
> two.  (If you're not already a member of OWW, joining is
> easy<http://openwetware.org/wiki/OpenWetWare:How_to_join>
> .)
>
> Furthermore, Jason Bobe wrote an awesome summary of the night on the DIYbio
> blog <http://blog.diybio.org/> - check it out.
>
> I think it would be great to organize a very informal june meetup just to
> chat face to face again, and then a more structured event in mid/late July
> where everyone could share their work.  I'll suggest some dates and ask for
> feedback over the next few days.
>
> Please reply with feedback about dates, and add your thoughts to the DIYbio
> wiki pages <http://openwetware.org/wiki/DIYbio:Meeting_-_May_2008>.
>
> See you all on the list,
> Mac
>
> == Topics discussed at the May 2008
> Meetup<http://openwetware.org/wiki/DIYbio:Meeting_-_May_2008>==

Sean Hobin

Jun 3, 2008, 11:36:53 AM6/3/08
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Last I checked, there will be an unofficial meeting this June and the next official meeting will be in July.

Mike K

Jun 3, 2008, 1:34:37 PM6/3/08
to DIYbio
I knew that :> But when in June? There don't seem to be records of any
possibilities. May 1st seems to have started a pattern of "first
Thursday of the month". Is that the date? And what would be the
location? The Asgard again?

Mike.

On Jun 3, 11:36 am, "Sean Hobin" <sean.ho...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Last I checked, there will be an unofficial meeting this June and the next
> official meeting will be in July.

Jason Morrison

Jun 3, 2008, 4:24:23 PM6/3/08
to diy...@googlegroups.com
I vote +1 for this Thursday.  Jason, Mac, other DIYbio-eteers?

Btw, Jason, I love the writeup you posted!

Mike K

Jun 4, 2008, 6:23:06 PM6/4/08
to DIYbio
I'm in, just let me know the time and location!

Mike.

On Jun 3, 4:24 pm, "Jason Morrison" <jason.p.morri...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> jason.p.morri...@gmail.comhttp://jayunit.net
> (585) 216-5657

benjamin...@gmail.com

Jun 5, 2008, 1:13:46 PM6/5/08
to DIYbio
Is it happening tonight or no? Asgard's @ 7-7:30?

Mike K

Jun 5, 2008, 2:13:51 PM6/5/08
to DIYbio
I'll be there at 7pm, if someone else says they're going.

Mike.

On Jun 5, 1:13 pm, "b...@theflowingofthedao.com"

benjamin...@gmail.com

Jun 5, 2008, 3:28:25 PM6/5/08
to DIYbio
I'll go.

Holler at me if this is happening? 617 335 6457

Health,
Ben

Mackenzie Cowell

Jun 5, 2008, 4:10:33 PM6/5/08
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Hey all,

Sorry, but I won't be able to make it tonight.

How about next thursday, June 12?  It would just be a very informal gathering to chat - not even as directed as the May 1 meeting.  Tentatively at Asgards, but perhaps not in the back room (they often have it reserved or charge a fee for thurs/fri/sat/sun events).

If anyone does meet tonight, please update the list!

Cheers,
mac

Ben Peterson

Jun 5, 2008, 4:33:46 PM6/5/08
to diy...@googlegroups.com
No worries, Mac.

Next week sounds good.

Hope all is well.

Mike, you still planning on going to Asgard's? Call me if so.

wrldpc,
benny

Mike K

Jun 5, 2008, 5:50:33 PM6/5/08
to DIYbio
I think we'll postpone this to Thursday June 12th after all.

So, just to finalize: Thursday, June 12th, 7pm, at the Asgard.

Works?

Mike.