Carolina Biological / Halobacterium spp. NRC-1 (from Tom Knight)

Mackenzie Cowell

Jul 18, 2008, 9:51:01 AM7/18/08
to diy...@googlegroups.com
TK writes:

Safe experiments with a good non-pathogenic organism.
A company devoted to high quality high school level experimentation.

Making Microbiology Manageable: The New Model Microbe, Halobacterium sp. NRC-1

From: nor...@googlegroups.com
Date: July 17, 2008 2:32:24 PM EDT
To: t...@csail.mit.edu
Subject: Posting error: DIYbio

group before being allowed to post, or this group may not be open to posting.

Visit http://groups.google.com/group/diybio/about?hl=en to join or learn more about who
is allowed to post to the group.

Help on using Google Groups is also available at:
http://groups.google.com/support?hl=en
From: Tom Knight <t...@csail.mit.edu>
Date: July 17, 2008 2:32:14 PM EDT
To: diy...@googlegroups.com
Cc: Tom Knight <t...@csail.mit.edu>
Subject: Carolina Biological / Halobacterium spp. NRC-1

Safe experiments with a good non-pathogenic organism.
A company devoted to high quality high school level experimentation.

http://www.carolina.com/category/teacher+resources/classroom+activities/making+microbiology+manageable-+the+new+model+microbe,+halobacterium+sp.+nrc-1.do?s_cid=em_ct_07152008

Mackenzie Cowell

Jul 18, 2008, 10:13:26 AM7/18/08
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Halobacterium NRC-1 sounds really cool as a DIY model organism.  It prefers/tolerates growing in environments with salt concentrations so high that most other organisms can't survive.  We should look into this a lot more.

Also, Carolina Biological Supply has no problem accepting credit card payments and shipping equipment / supplies to us at BetaHouse or the FabLab or wherever DIYbio headquarters gets dedicated space - so go check them out

Of course, I still think we have a lot to gain by focusing on the DIY ethic.  I am sure we could make successful diy alternatives to many of the things Carolina sells, such as their "Extremely Easy DNA Extraction Kit"  - only $73.30! (it's just ethanol and some plasticware) - or the "Carolina™ Electrophoresis Equipment Package I", which only costs $1995.00.

That said, there will probably be times when it is wiser to use cheap, reliable, pre-fabbed consumables like invitrogen's e-gels (pre-cast, pre-stained, ready to go out of the box) instead of trying to make everything from scratch.

Mac

Bryan Bishop

Jul 18, 2008, 2:15:32 PM7/18/08
to diy...@googlegroups.com
On Friday 18 July 2008, Mackenzie Cowell wrote:
> That said, there will probably be times when it is wiser to use
> cheap, reliable, pre-fabbed consumables like invitrogen's e-gels
> <http://www.carolina.com/product/e-gel+starter+kit+with+0.8-+gels+wit
>h+ethidium+bromide.do?keyword=egel&sortby=bestMatches>(pre-cast,

> pre-stained, ready to go out of the box) instead of trying to make
> everything from scratch.

Mac, have you sold out on us? :-) It's nice that they allow credit card
transactions, but really, buying products from companies is mostly
against the DIY concept. This is like trying to throw up an
instructable with the first step "Buy a kit". That's not do it
yourself. That's "do the credit card transaction yourself".

- Bryan
http://heybryan.org/
Engineers: http://heybryan.org/exp.html
irc.freenode.net #hplusroadmap

Jason Kelly

Jul 18, 2008, 2:21:13 PM7/18/08
to diy...@googlegroups.com
what's wrong with kits?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altair_8800

jason

Jason Morrison

Jul 18, 2008, 2:23:34 PM7/18/08
to diy...@googlegroups.com
I wouldn't be quite so harsh; I'm all for the knowledge and empowerment that comes from putting the R&D time into quality DIY protocols and schematics.  At the same time, at least 6 of us spent 3 hours a week or so back trying to run a gel - when looking at 18 man-hours to run two gels (that didn't work), $8.75/kit seems rather cheap for a higher degree of confidence in success.  At the very least, it's a good control against which to compare our own gel boxes.

I hope we can produce a wide array of options that allows amateurs to make their own time/cost tradeoff decision, and learn a bunch along the way.

Mackenzie Cowell

Jul 18, 2008, 2:23:50 PM7/18/08
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Well, I think that there is always going to be a gray area for the DIY ethic.  The two extremes are building everything from scratch or ordering everything pre-built.  I think most makers compromise somewhere in between.  I don't have a problem buying $12.00 worth of screws and wire and plexiglass to build gel boxes from scratch... but I think it would be pretty ridiculous to synthesize those materials from scratch using a home-built forge and a plastic extrusion system and so on.  So in many cases, DIY work involves using prefabricated materials.

Likewise, DIYbio might benefit from *low-cost, reliable* protocol kits instead of trying to build everything from scratch in a kitchen.

Mac

p.s. look for a shoutout in the video of our visit to the Boston FabLab (props to Ben)

Bryan Bishop

Jul 18, 2008, 2:34:56 PM7/18/08
to diy...@googlegroups.com
On Friday 18 July 2008, Jason Kelly wrote:
> what's wrong with kits?

Hm. Not much. I suppose this is the way to go about doing kits:
http://arduino.cc/ You get everything: the product, microprocessor
schematics, the interface, community support (it's the internet), and
so on. Historically kit purchases in nonelectronic areas involve less
than optimal documentation as unfortunate as this is.

Another way to say this is that the idea is to continuously minimize the
dependence on proprietary means of working with life. How is this
supposed to be done with proprietary kits all the time? Maybe for
bootstrapping, but as a requirement for group progress ? That's
definitely a sell out.

- Bryan
http://heybryan.org/
Engineers: http://heybryan.org/exp.html
irc.freenode.net #hplusroadmap

"Genius is the ability to escape the human condition;
Humanity is the need to escape." -- Q. Uim

Bryan Bishop

Jul 18, 2008, 2:38:34 PM7/18/08
to diy...@googlegroups.com
On Friday 18 July 2008, Jason Morrison wrote:
> I wouldn't be quite so harsh; I'm all for the knowledge and
> empowerment that comes from putting the R&D time into quality DIY
> protocols and schematics. At the same time, at least 6 of us spent 3
> hours a week or so back trying to run a gel - when looking at 18
> man-hours to run two gels (that didn't work), $8.75/kit seems rather
> cheap for a higher degree of confidence in success. At the very
> least, it's a good control against which to compare our own gel
> boxes.

Yeah, I agree that what I sent is harsh. But since this is diybio and
not buybio, ;-) ... speaking of which, those protocols and schematics
that you mention. I saw the writeup that someone sent to the list re:
the fun time with the group making a gel all at once. Was this written
up or documented or was there no documentation protocol in place? It
would be a shame if that was all wasted, undocumented effort. Without
documentation there's no way to improve on it so bringing it up in
discussion might become unfair, no?

- Bryan
http://heybryan.org/
Engineers: http://heybryan.org/exp.html
irc.freenode.net #hplusroadmap

Mackenzie Cowell

Jul 18, 2008, 2:34:13 PM7/18/08
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Agreed.  Look for the first open-source DIYbio kits by September.  We're focusing on three modular kits for the launch: sterile culture maintenance, DNA isolation, and gel electrophoresis.  Maybe based on yeast, maybe on halobacterium NRC-1.  You should help us develop them.

Mac

Bryan Bishop

Jul 18, 2008, 2:42:02 PM7/18/08
to diy...@googlegroups.com
On Friday 18 July 2008, Mackenzie Cowell wrote:
> Well, I think that there is always going to be a gray area for the
> DIY ethic.  The two extremes are building everything from scratch or
> ordering everything pre-built.  I think most makers compromise
> somewhere in between. I don't have a problem buying $12.00 worth of
> screws and wire and plexiglass to build gel boxes from scratch... but
> I think it would be pretty ridiculous to synthesize those materials
> from scratch using a home-built forge and a plastic extrusion system
> and so on.  So in many cases, DIY work involves using prefabricated
> materials.

I wouldn't call anybody out for not always using home forging methods
and so on. This is mostly because I'll admit there are other things
where attention should be focused on (amateur infrastructure projects).
But. The difference is between having identified and carried out the
homebrew, do-it-yourself method, having it documented, available,
ready, and functional, versus just skipping the step entirely and being
completely dependent on proprietary preparation. That's not good.

> Likewise, DIYbio might benefit from *low-cost, reliable* protocol
> kits instead of trying to build everything from scratch in a kitchen.

I am sure there are many people with many different choices, so maybe we
should be here to synthesize a broader picture from the technical
options we know of instead of keeping it all wrapped up in proprietary
kits.

> p.s. look for a shoutout in the video of our visit to the Boston
> FabLab (props to Ben)

There's a video? :-) I'll go look.

- Bryan
http://heybryan.org/
Engineers: http://heybryan.org/exp.html
irc.freenode.net #hplusroadmap

Bryan Bishop

Jul 18, 2008, 2:43:27 PM7/18/08
to diy...@googlegroups.com
On Friday 18 July 2008, Mackenzie Cowell wrote:
> Agreed.  Look for the first open-source DIYbio kits by September.
>  We're focusing on three modular kits for the launch: sterile culture
> maintenance, DNA isolation, and gel electrophoresis.  Maybe based on
> yeast, maybe on halobacterium NRC-1.  You should help us develop
> them.

You make it sound like "we" means some group of people not on the list.
Are you having a little secret group within diybio or something? :-)
We're all in this together ... why not talk about it on the mailing
list? There's a number of ideas that would be worth talking about and
implementing, like the structured markup languages or object
serialization for functional protocol specifications, and the cullation
scripts I've hacked up for the git files, but if it's all behind closed
doors then how is it open source? etc.

Thomas Knight

Jul 18, 2008, 2:41:25 PM7/18/08
to diy...@googlegroups.com, Thomas Knight
Right. Real Men don't use existing cells -- they build their own.
Mine their own salt, synthesize their own lipids, Make their own DNA
from sugar and phosphorus. We'll put that Pasteur fellow in his place.

Bryan Bishop

Jul 18, 2008, 2:48:55 PM7/18/08
to diy...@googlegroups.com
On Friday 18 July 2008, Thomas Knight wrote:
> Right.  Real Men don't use existing cells -- they build their own.
> Mine their own salt, synthesize their own lipids, Make their own DNA
>   from sugar and phosphorus.   We'll put that Pasteur fellow in his
> place.

Heh, that'd be awesome. I'd point out that these companies are made by
human beings and thus these products are somehow done by human created
processes, protocols, or machines of one sort or another, so it's not
magical or any sort of 'vitalism' that gives these companies something
that diybio amateurs can't have. It's proprietary lock out, and that's
about it.

BTW: I'm pretty sure I am made of cells and that my cells are making
DNA. Maybe I'm wrong. I haven't run a gel on it yet, so I haven't
checked.

ta...@museatech.net

Jul 18, 2008, 2:49:45 PM7/18/08
to diy...@googlegroups.com
I agree.

In that vein, Intel got under my skin for the last time last week, too. So I rolled my own fab, complete with pvd, cvd and lithography machines culled from old banana skinning machines and used a low power chip design Andy Grove whispered to me.

I'll have the specs up on the wiki soon.

No stopping humans now.

Talli

Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

On Friday 18 July 2008, Bryan Bishop wrote:
> On Friday 18 July 2008, Thomas Knight wrote:
> > Right.  Real Men don't use existing cells -- they build their own.
> >   Mine their own salt, synthesize their own lipids, Make their own
> > DNA from sugar and phosphorus.   We'll put that Pasteur fellow in
> > his place.
>
> Heh, that'd be awesome. I'd point out that these companies are made
> by human beings and thus these products are somehow done by human
> created processes, protocols, or machines of one sort or another, so
> it's not magical or any sort of 'vitalism' that gives these companies
> something that diybio amateurs can't have. It's proprietary lock out,
> and that's about it.

This might be unfair since I didn't reference the other email.

The other:

> Hm. Not much. I suppose this is the way to go about doing kits:
> http://arduino.cc/ You get everything: the product, microprocessor
> schematics, the interface, community support (it's the internet), and
> so on. Historically kit purchases in nonelectronic areas involve less
> than optimal documentation as unfortunate as this is.
>
> Another way to say this is that the idea is to continuously minimize
> the dependence on proprietary means of working with life. How is this
> supposed to be done with proprietary kits all the time? Maybe for
> bootstrapping, but as a requirement for group progress ? That's
> definitely a sell out.

And here:

> On Friday 18 July 2008, Mackenzie Cowell wrote:
> > Well, I think that there is always going to be a gray area for the
> > DIY ethic.  The two extremes are building everything from scratch
> > or ordering everything pre-built.  I think most makers compromise
> > somewhere in between. I don't have a problem buying $12.00 worth of
> > screws and wire and plexiglass to build gel boxes from scratch...
> > but I think it would be pretty ridiculous to synthesize those
> > materials from scratch using a home-built forge and a plastic
> > extrusion system and so on.  So in many cases, DIY work involves
> > using prefabricated materials.
>
> I wouldn't call anybody out for not always using home forging methods
> and so on. This is mostly because I'll admit there are other things
> where attention should be focused on (amateur infrastructure
> projects). But. The difference is between having identified and
> carried out the homebrew, do-it-yourself method, having it
> documented, available, ready, and functional, versus just skipping
> the step entirely and being completely dependent on proprietary
> preparation. That's not good.

- Bryan

Bryan Bishop

Jul 18, 2008, 3:08:59 PM7/18/08
to diy...@googlegroups.com
On Friday 18 July 2008, ta...@museatech.net wrote:
> In that vein, Intel got under my skin for the last time last week,
> too. So I rolled my own fab, complete with pvd, cvd and lithography
> machines culled from old banana skinning machines and used a low
> power chip design Andy Grove whispered to me.

Comparing DNA extraction and running gels to running a microprocessor
fabricator is retarded. But if you really want to be a jerk and argue
the microprocessor side of things, let's go talk about how the industry
started and how these guys were buying camera lenses down the street
and shinning down on giant boards of wax to etch out giant circuits
instead of beginning with the admittedly complex CVD chambers and Si
pulling. Even before this in the vacuum tube era -- it is people who
made these things [at first]. BTW, since cells are building DNA all the
time, and doing PCR and the like, diybio has more meaning in this
regard than semiconductor manufacturing as much as I'd like it to be
otherwise:

http://heybryan.org/semiconductor.html
http://heybryan.org/graphene.html
http://heybryan.org/instrumentation/instru.html
^ I'm definitely trying and looking. bio's been around a bit longer.

- Bryan
http://heybryan.org/
Engineers: http://heybryan.org/exp.html
irc.freenode.net #hplusroadmap

John Cumbers

Jul 18, 2008, 3:24:48 PM7/18/08
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Bryan,
I'd try not to be so blunt about other people's suggestions, Mac's suggestion for a social network would strengthens the DIYbio goals for an institution, and the Carolina Biologicals http://www.carolina.com is the cheapest place for high school labs to buy organisms and reagents without having the hassle to do everything yourself..
John

John Cumbers, Graduate Student, SETI Institute

NASA Ames Research Center
Mail Stop 239-20, Bldg N239 Rm 371 Moffett Field, CA 94035, USA.
cell +1 (401) 523 8190, fax +1 (650) 604-1088

Graduate Program in Molecular Biology, Cell Biology, and Biochemistry
Brown University, Box G-W Providence, RI, 02912, USA

Bryan Bishop

Jul 18, 2008, 3:46:00 PM7/18/08
to diy...@googlegroups.com
On Friday 18 July 2008, John Cumbers wrote:
> I'd try not to be so blunt about other people's suggestions, Mac's
> suggestion for a social network would strengthens the DIYbio goals
> for an institution, and the Carolina Biologicals
> http://www.carolina.com is the cheapest place for high school labs to
> buy organisms and reagents without having the hassle to do everything
> yourself..

John, I didn't say anything against social networking in of itself, just
that the website in particular didn't seem all that professional, up to
date, or with the professional web/social-networking standards of our
time. I wouldn't mind if there happens to be a group or tribe or
whatever other social structure they implement on that website -- it's
not in my interest to stop that, ever -- but the same would go for any
other existing social networking website, whether we talk about
facebook, linkedin, myspace, beebo, and the others that I am sure I am
neglecting. The institution for the amateur should leverage these
computational tools that we rely on and be honest with their use and
histories; for instance, FOAF is a way of users specifying their own
social network in relation to others, and some websites have begun to
implement it last time I checked (I participate in some mailing lists
that have social networking website programmers popping up all the
time, I think it's from the dataportability.org group), and it's just
one thing to look for to see if something is really up to professional
standards. In truth it's a way for us to leverage the ridiculous
popularity of facebook, myspace, twitter, youtube in a way that brings
it back to being about community for the diybio topics that we're
interested in, instead of proprietary lock-in on those servers, since
this is amateurs doing -our- thing instead of buybio -- which requires,
admittedly, 'new stuff' and new ways of formulating these stuffs to
make it all work out for us. And it's not like it's impossible to do
this .. all of the tools are available at our finger tips. So it'd be
nice if we were to use a specific social networking website that it
would be up to date with data portability standards so that we could be
more inclusive instead of limitting and so on, so that we can develop
the servers or architecture/system (the biotech toolkit project has
been mentioning this for a while) that makes all of this information
work for 'us' (well, anyone). Not just the limited buttons on a social
networking website :-) or whatever uptime they might boast :-).

As for the Carolina stuff, because of the ways that businesses are run
it's not in their interest to provide us with information that would
keep us from vendor lock-in, and so it's more like indoctrinating all
of those high school kids into the stereotypical scenario and
perpetuating nonDIY knocking-down-barriers work. :-( It would be easy
for someone else to outcompete Carolina, so that's why they don't go
open and help us out. It has to be us that goes in and retrieves the
literature and documentation on how to make it happen. If we end up
with the RDF and specific documentation on how to do it, fine, I'd say
go ahead and recommend purchasing the kits. But as long as it's
perpetuating dependencies that can't be salvaged in the case that
Carolina (un)miraculously fails :-( then it's just square one and we've
got nothing. That's not good. I have nothing against people doing the
work with the kits, again I'm not going to go physically stop anyone
from doing work :-), but I'd really like to point out how it's not
quite the solution we're all hoping for with a 'diybio group'.

- Bryan

John: what does the arrogancemeter say this time?

ta...@museatech.net

Jul 18, 2008, 4:04:17 PM7/18/08
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Set up a page on ning.com

Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

Jul 18, 2008, 4:36:40 PM7/18/08
to diy...@googlegroups.com
On Friday 18 July 2008, ta...@museatech.net wrote:
> Set up a page on ning.com

That's one way to do it, or you can use any other number of options:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_social_networking_websites
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_social_networking_software

As long as we look for compatability, especially with respect to
frameworks to implement -- the asynchronous git journals and
repositories and such, instead of static lock in. OpenWetWare has some
journal support, and some blogs, and the (computational) power of
blogging is that everything is kept in separate files when the system
is flatfile, or separate table entries when it's database driven.

Working it into a social model is left for someone else -- I'm just
telling about the software architectures that could really do some good
work in relation to the overall web of bioinformatics and amateur
biology -- since the Boston group is really good at being Boston and
applying its own flavor. See:
http://heybryan.org/manufacturing_ecology.html (below)

This is just as easily doable with throwing up a FOAF RDF/XML file on
the diybio.org server (I'm assuming someone in this group actually has
ftp/ssh access), and maybe a service for aggregating these people and
their files together if that's what we want to go for (we (in this
group) haven't actually discussed this, just made vague allusions to
it). And then we can maybe do an update pushing service for protocols
or something if we want. But the other options, like throwing up a
drupal install, aren't hard either. I actually don't use drupal any
more, but I hear good things of it.

I used to have a list somewhere of a few hundred different social
networking websites and software packages. I'll keep on looking for it.

- Bryan

Here's the content of:
http://heybryan.org/manufacturing_ecology.html

It was an email I received from Eric Hunting a while back.

> [...]
> means of distributing pneumatic or hydraulic power or as conduits for
> wiring, allowing the framing to function as a system bus with the
> appropriate fittings. T-slot is made by many companies to common
> standards and a vast assortment of passive and active components have
> been developed to integrate with it, allowing for the increasingly
> easy on-demand construction of complex automated systems and lab
> equipment. It's very commonly used for robot prototypes, particularly
> when they have to be fairly tough, large, and real-world functional.
> The three biggest manufacturers of it in the world are MK and Bosch
> HQed in Germany and the 80:20 company in the US. (which, curiously,
> took its name from the Pareto Principle) T-slot appeared on the
> market sometime in the late 1970s or early 80s as a building system
> for custom machines and industrial structures and became a
> replacement for commonly used framing systems based on pre- drilled
> or spot-welded angle-iron and flats, extruded or roll-formed alloy
> channel, and 'trilap' joined wood in the Box Beam or Matrix systems.
> It's sometimes called the engineer's Tinker Toy or Lego. NASA was one
> of its early adopters, which helped give it prestige among engineers,
> aiding its rapid proliferation. Intended originally for industrial
> automation, today it's ubiquitous in that market and most every
> machine-manufactured product in existence today has probably passed
> through some piece of machinery with a T-slot structure. It has
> greatly reduced the cost of developing automated manufacturing
> systems and adapting them to rapidly changing product designs, making
> automation more economical than it has ever been. It's produced an
> automation integration and consulting industry very much the the
> computer consulting and Value Added Reseller industry. However, it's
> applications have steadily been spinning off in all directions and
> you can now find it used for everything from reconfigurable power
> tools for model-makers to office furniture and most recently as the
> basis of a plug-in architecture system for prefab housing -which is a
> use I'm personally very interested in.
>
> Currently, I have been slowly researching material for a T-slot
> Source Book akin to the legendary Suntools Box Beam Source Book of
> the 70s or Ken Isaac's How To Make Living Structures of the 60s and
> have been looking for novel 'recipes' for T-slot based structures as
> well as other similar contemporary building systems, like the rod and
> socket framing I mentioned and others like the N55 space frame
> developed by the N55 design group in the Netherlands.
> (http://www.n55.dk/) I'm currently hoping to build a recumbent bike,
> Dobsonian telescope, and fabber from T-slot and hope for my own
> future non-toxic home to be T- slot based. I've been hoping my
> relationship with the Jeriko House company -one of the few current
> developers of T-slot based housing- may lead to obtaining a workshop

Julie E Norville

Jul 18, 2008, 5:05:15 PM7/18/08
to diy...@googlegroups.com
http://www.carolina.com/product/213800.do

The SYBR gels from Carolina biological supply are nice because they
optimize for
safety in a lot of ways (even though SYBR stain is proprietary. . . )

-The SYBR gels so far seem to be safer than the ethidium bromide gels,
and thus
they may not need to be disposed of as hazardous waste. They can also
run in a
shorter time than standard gels. A disadvantage is that they are more
expensive. It is also nice that the power supply comes with the gels.

disposal as non-toxic waste
http://www.invitrogen.com/site/us/en/home/Products-and-Services/Applications/Nucleic-Acid-Purification-and-Analysis/Nucleic-Acid-Gel-Electrophoresis/nucleic_acid_gel_electrophoresis/Nucleic-Acid-Stains/SYBR-Safe-Institutional-Disposal-Case-Studies.reg.us.html

-It would be nice if we could hack the gels so that they could be used
more than
once.

-Something we may want to find a way to make (if we can) is a blue light
transilluminator for visualizing SYBR stained bands on a gel (currently the
ones available would be rather expensive for a high school student.) They are
made with leds and possibly a blue and an orange filter, but unlike a uv box
(that is used to visualize ethidium bromide gels) the blue light
transilluminator should be harmless for the user--good from a safety
standpoint
(and also less harmful for the dna itself.) (I don't know if a black
light will
let us visualize the bands with a SYBR stained gel?)
example transilluminator
http://www.invitrogen.com/site/us/en/home/Products-and-Services/Applications/Nucleic-Acid-Purification-and-Analysis/Nucleic-Acid-Gel-Electrophoresis/nucleic_acid_gel_electrophoresis/Transillumination.html

Mario Raya

Jul 18, 2008, 5:29:22 PM7/18/08
to diy...@googlegroups.com
SYBR Safe is an excellent dye, it is cheaper to buy it concentrated (10000x). Blue leds are close to the ideal wave length (470-480nm) so it should be possible and easy to build the transiluminator, i have been thinking about building something like that for a while. Invitrogen kits also come with an orange filter that (supposedly) makes the bands sharper.
The pre-made gels are not reusable, SYBR is more sensitive to (UV) light than ethidium thus it degrades faster.

David Wine

Jul 18, 2008, 6:40:31 PM7/18/08
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Anyone have a link to the emission and excitation spectra for the dye?

--David

--
David Wine
+1 617.548.8694

Mario Raya

Jul 18, 2008, 6:50:02 PM7/18/08
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Check Invitrogen - SYBR Safe

Invitrogen is really interested in proving how safe this dye is, if a local authority considers it unsafe/toxic/dangerous they offer to prove the opposite. Check the flyers they have, some mention the excitation spectra, they prefer to suggest you use UV or their transiluminator, it took me a while to find the right number. I have been using it for about 6 months now, is a great dye. I will dig through the papers to see more specific information

Mario Raya

Jul 18, 2008, 6:52:04 PM7/18/08
to diy...@googlegroups.com

Talli Somekh

Jul 18, 2008, 6:59:12 PM7/18/08
to diy...@googlegroups.com
thanks for the links Bryan, keep it up. the subtleties of satire and
sarcasm clearly cannot withstand the onslaught of hyperlinked facts.

at this rate, you might have a chance to overthrow the Cambridge cabal
of synthetic biologists who are so intent on locking out the universe
from their machinations by having coming up with ideas via pre-
historic analog conversation rather than the more advanced, almost
telepathic medium of digital wikis.

i don't really mean to be harsh, but i haven't really participated in
a silly mailing list flame war in at least 5 years and this one is
just making it so easy to satisfy that craving...

talli

Bryan Bishop

Jul 18, 2008, 8:28:44 PM7/18/08
to diy...@googlegroups.com
On Friday 18 July 2008, Julie E Norville wrote:
> The SYBR gels from Carolina biological supply are nice because they
> optimize for safety in a lot of ways (even though SYBR stain is
> proprietary. . . )

I have had positive experiences with SYBR Gold stains before, so I'd
recommend it if especially over EtBr.

> -It would be nice if we could hack the gels so that they could be
> used more than once.

Awesome idea, yes, definitely. Have you seen the suggestions to use
artificial gels? The latest I remember hearing of was the silicon gel.

"Entropic trapping and sieving of DNA in nanofluidic channels"
http://www.hgc.cornell.edu/biofab/entropic.htm
http://www.hgc.cornell.edu/biofab/gel.htm

http://news.bio-medicine.org/biology-news-2/Artificial-Gels-Could-Speed-DNA-Sequencing-13341-1/
> Stephen Turner, a graduate student working under Harold Craighead,
> Cornell professor of applied and engineering physics, described his
> biochip research in a talk, "DNA Motion in Nanofabricated artificial
> Gels," today (March 25) at the centennial meeting of the American
> Physical Society in the Georgia World Congress Center.
<snip>
> replacing the organic gel with a tiny solid-state device, called an
> artificial gel. electrophoresis gels consist of a maze of
> interlocking polymer molecules that leave many tiny openings through
> which moving DNA molecules must navigate. Using the same techniques
> used to make electronic circuits, tiny passageways can be carved on a
> silicon chip.
>
> Turner's artificial gels are forests of vertical pillars with sizes
> down to 100 nanometers (nm) thick and 100 nm apart. (A nanometer is
> one billionth of a meter.) They are smaller, Craighead believes, than
> earlier versions of artificial sieves, an achievement made possible
> by using the Cornell Nanofabrication Facility's electron-beam
> lithography tools, which can lay out features much smaller than those
> used so far in commercial integrated circuits. Ordinarily such
> devices are made by etching a cavity in the silicon, then gluing on a
> cover to create a channel through which the DNA sample can flow.
> Turner used a new technique in which the channel is filled with a
> "sacrificial layer" that can be etched out after a covering layer is
> deposited. This allows much more precise control of the height of the
> channel, he explained.
>
> The researchers are still at an early stage, running DNA samples
> through the biochip to see how fragments of different lengths can be
> identified. They mount the chips between two microscope slides, glue
> small reservoirs to each end to hold a few drops of a water-DNA
> mixture, place the slides on a microscope stage and apply an electric
> field, then watch and measure what happens, tagging DNA molecules
> with fluorescent dyes to make them visible.

So that's one option. The fabrication of these artificial gels is rather
intense, with the nanolithography and nanofabricational setup required
for it. It's just one alternative. I am sure there might be others.

DNA electrophoresis in microfabricated arrays:
http://www.nano.umn.edu/research_projects/2007/DNA_Electrophoresis.pdf

Was that it? Hm. This one might be the one I'm thinking of:
http://web.archive.org/web/20020909121552/http://polymer.matscieng.sunysb.edu/dina01/

> Performing electrophoresis on a flat silicon chip, introduced in this
> research paper, promises to alleviate these drawbacks, allowing for
> fast, efficient, automated results of high resolution quality.
> Electrophoresis was performed using 1 kb Ladder DNA with a high
> resolution of 300 bp at a relatively low electric field of 4.5 V/cm
> (This is comparable to capillary electrophoretic performance at much
> higher fields >100 V/cm). A double-logarithmic plot of mobility of
> the DNA chains (μ) vs. number of base pairs (N) shows that there is
> indeed a length-dependent mobility when performing electrophoresis on
> a chip.

Anyway, there was a group that had a silicon surface that you could
electrically drag DNA molecules through and get some serious results.
The staining was typical, but it wasn't a gel.

Any others?

- Bryan

David Wine

Jul 18, 2008, 9:31:10 PM7/18/08
to diy...@googlegroups.com
From invitrogen:

Updated: April 5, 2005

Figure 8.79 Normalized fluorescence excitation and emission spectra of the SYBR Safe DNA gel stain (S33100, S33101, S33110), determined in the presence of double-stranded DNA.

Image

Jason Morrison

Jul 19, 2008, 2:59:14 PM7/19/08
to diy...@googlegroups.com
These are great resources; even if the methods described (nano litho, fab) are a bit out of DIY reach, perhaps this will lead to cheap and reusable NA measurement instruments that /will/ be useful for DIY.

David Thompson

Jul 19, 2008, 10:17:22 PM7/19/08
to DIYbio

> -Something we may want to find a way to make (if we can) is a blue light
> transilluminator for visualizing SYBR stained bands on a gel (currently the
> ones available would be rather expensive for a high school student.)  They are
> made with leds and possibly a blue and an orange filter, but unlike a uv box
> (that is used to visualize ethidium bromide gels) the blue light
> transilluminator should be harmless for the user--good from a safety
> standpoint
> (and also less harmful for the dna itself.)  (I don't know if a black
> light will
> let us visualize the bands with a SYBR stained gel?)
> example transilluminatorhttp://www.invitrogen.com/site/us/en/home/Products-and-Services/Appli...

I have this info second-hand, but a friend of mine says his PI found a
blue light box for ~$25 on ebay and it works with their SYBR gels. I
don't know what use this box was originally intended for, but I do
know that colored light boxes are sold for 'light therapy'. I imagine
they can be found for much less than whatever invitrogen is asking.
I'll ask for more specific info.

Also, first post here. Mac, John Cumbers, and Jason Morrison know me
(hey). For those that don't, I'm a grad student at Harvard just
finishing up my first year. I'll be doing something related to
synbio, though I don't know what. I may start attending some DIYbio
events.

Andrew Perry

Jul 20, 2008, 7:44:20 PM7/20/08
to DIYbio
Whether Invitrogen claims it's "Safe" or not, the most authoritative
source of safety should be the MSDS.

I don't really want to 'muddy the waters' on the issue of DNA dye
safety, but check out Rosie Redfields analysis of EthBr vs. SYBR
stains: http://rrresearch.blogspot.com/2006/10/heresy-about-ethidium-bromide.html

Conclusion: It would be misleading to call SYBR "non-toxic". SYBR may
be less _mutagenic_ relative to EtBr, but it is still _toxic_.

Despite Rosie's analysis which suggests that counter to popular lab
superstition, both stains probably aren't that dangerous unless you
are exposed to high doses, in DIYBio experiments I'd still be wearing
gloves, and obviously would avoid ingesting any stain. Within reason,
it's better to be safe than sorry ....

Other DNA staining options are Methylene blue (as DIYbio'ers have
already tried), Crystal Violet, and Gel Red (from Biotium):
http://bitesizebio.com/2008/03/03/ethidium-bromide-the-alternatives/

There is also a company on eBay providing free/cheap "GR Safe DNA Gel
Stain" to for scientists in non-profit organizations (USA only) ... if
DIYbio can classify itself as a non-profit which contains some
scientists, someone could probably buy some, maybe even get a free
sample ...
: http://tinyurl.com/6ejgul

I haven't been able to find the MSDS for "GR Safe DNA Gel Stain", but
there is a patent out there somewhere ...

Andrew

On Jul 19, 8:52 am, "Mario Raya" <marior...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Link to the manual ---http://probes.invitrogen.com/media/pis/mp33100.pdf

Norman

Jul 21, 2008, 7:43:31 AM7/21/08
to DIYbio
http://www.invitrogen.com/site/us/en/home/support/Research-Tools/Fluorescence-SpectraViewer.reg.us.html?fileId1=1169dna

You'll need an emission Wratten 47/47B? pre-filter (I'm currently
testing to filter out green background) + amber/orange post filter.
Don't buy the SYBR safe filter from Invitrogen, which is a ripoff. It
filters the wrong wavelength and DOES NOT WORK, possibly it was a
yellow filter meant to be for UV (defeats the whole purpose of using
SYBR safe to avoid DNA damage) Their product information is very
incomplete. Tech support is no help because they don't really provide
any detail info on what it is.

CodonAUG

Jun 25, 2012, 8:30:32 PM6/25/12
to diy...@googlegroups.com