Starting a School in South Florida

Kathyjoe

Jan 8, 2008, 10:05:57 PM1/8/08
to Discuss Sudbury Model
I am in the beginning stages of starting a school modeled after
Sudbury Valley School. I am located in Hollywood, Fl. We are half
way between Miami and Ft. Lauderdale.

Word of mouth has already started a buzz in the homeschooling
community and the natural parenting circles. I just wanted to see if
there was anyone else looking for a Sudbury school in south florida.
If so please let me know.

Thanks,
Kathy Williams

Phil Osborn

Jan 8, 2008, 10:39:20 PM1/8/08
to discuss-su...@googlegroups.com
Just a thought... The Life Extension Foundation is
also located in Hollywood, Florida. They are strongly
libertarian and are directly and solely responsible
for the fact that GNC and all the other vitamin stores
still exist, as it was LEF (www.lef.org) that took the
FDA to the Supreme Court and beat them completely and
totally when the FDA attempted to smash them as the
first attack in a war to end the entire supplement
industry. I'm not sure what synergy can come of this,
but there it is...

--- Kathyjoe <billie...@gmail.com> wrote:

Be a better friend, newshound, and

Kali...@aol.com

Jan 9, 2008, 8:01:29 AM1/9/08
to discuss-su...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kathy,
I forwarded your message on to a couple of people that live in South Florida.
You might also want to post on the LIFE of Florida list.  It is a statewide list that goes out to homeschoolers and schoolers who are interested in Education issues.  You might also want to post on the AERO list as I know that there are several people from that area that read the posts.  Here are some links:  http://learningis4everyone.org/

Do you have any of the Sudbury books and manuals.  I may have some to share with you from our failed attempt to start a Sudbury School in the Orlando area.  Let me know what you need.

Best Wishes,

Sue Dolamore

Kathyjoe

Jan 11, 2008, 6:36:57 PM1/11/08
to Discuss Sudbury Model
Thank you so much for this info!

I looked over the LEF.org site. Way cool! Who knew that was in my
backyard!

I'm not sure how we can use them for our school mission. Perhaps, a
donation of money or materials for science study, fundraising, student
tour of their facility.

I will keep them in mind.

Thank you!

Kathy

Kathyjoe

Jan 11, 2008, 6:58:33 PM1/11/08
to Discuss Sudbury Model

I have already received one email from a local mom interested in
learning more about our initiative. So thanks for passing the info
along.

I have checked out the links, Aero and LIFE. There is a lot of info to
take in. I am going to talk to my founders group about joining the
Starters group available at EduationRevolution.org so we can glean as
much info as we can from others in the midst of the same process.

As far as Sudbury books and manuals, we have only just begun. Just
this week I ordered a video, Introduction to SVS, a 7 cd set of intro
information and a pamphlet "Now for something completely different".
I already have a copy of "Starting a Sudbury School".

We are in the process of planning our first meeting to introduce our
initiative to the public. We figure we would show the video and then
a short talk on the philosophy of SVS.

I am open to suggestions on what more I need. I would also appreciate
any heads-up on pitfalls to avoid.

thanks!
Kathy

On Jan 9, 8:01 am, Kalid...@aol.com wrote:
> Hi Kathy,
> I forwarded your message on to a couple of people that live in South
> Florida.
> You might also want to post on the LIFE of Florida list. It is a statewide
> list that goes out to homeschoolers and schoolers who are interested in
> Education issues. You might also want to post on the AERO list as I know that
> there are several people from that area that read the posts. Here are some
> links: _http://learningis4everyone.org/_(http://learningis4everyone.org/)
> _http://educationrevolution.org/_(http://educationrevolution.org/)
>
> Do you have any of the Sudbury books and manuals. I may have some to share
> with you from our failed attempt to start a Sudbury School in the Orlando
> area. Let me know what you need.
>
> Best Wishes,
>
> Sue Dolamore
>
> **************Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape. http://body.aol.com/fitness/winter-exercise?NCID=aolcmp00300000002489

Diane Ballou

Jan 11, 2008, 8:20:47 PM1/11/08
to discuss-su...@googlegroups.com
Kathy,
I wish you huge success with the school.  If you need anything...let me know.  We're in the Tampa Bay area.
All the best,
Diane Ballou

Spring Valley School
A Sudbury School for students 4-19

Jan 11, 2008, 9:33:46 PM1/11/08
to discuss-su...@googlegroups.com

Karen is right on. Soft pedaling the philosophy can seem oh so innocent at first, but it is such a nightmare in the long-run. Having people in the school that are under some impression that something other than the Sudbury Model "might be a possibility" can create multiple difficult to unravel problems. Educating yourself THOROUGHLY on the model is the most important thing you can do. The more educated you are, the more confident you will be when the questions and "concerns" start flying. We have found The Pursuit of Happiness to be a very helpful book in our conversations with parents and prospective parents, as the proof is always in the pudding.

Best Wishes!
~Kristin
www.katuahsudbury.org

Katherine Williams

Jan 12, 2008, 2:25:20 PM1/12/08
to discuss-su...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Diane!

Maybe in a few months, as our team comes together, we can make arrangements to come visit your school.  It would be great to see the kids in action.

Kathy

Katherine Williams

Jan 12, 2008, 2:33:14 PM1/12/08
to discuss-su...@googlegroups.com
Karen,

Thanks for the recommendation.  I have been eyeing that video online for some time now.  So, I ordered it last night.   I hope it arrives in time for us to make use of it for our first meeting.

As we are gearing up for our first meeting, I am concerned about my own understanding of the model.  I read a lot of stuff and loved it.   My concer is being able to convey the concept accurate.   I figure the video can present some of the info for us and I will gather information from all the various Sudbury Valley School websites.  I may even steal a flyer layout I saw on one of the sites to invite people to com.

Kathy

Michael Sappir

Jan 12, 2008, 4:13:04 PM1/12/08
to discuss-su...@googlegroups.com
I wouldn't worry too much about your ability to convey the Sudbury concept to newcomers. I've found people who have only recently been acquainted with Sudbury education are actually extremely effective at conveying these ideas to people who have never heard of them, because they are not yet as far removed from mainstream thought about education. In my own experience speaking for my school I've noticed the more time goes by, the harder I find it to connect the concerns of people who still expect schools to be about classes and grades. In contrast I just had the pleasure to witness how well a rising star in Jerusalem presents the school and its philosophy. She became a student just when I left the school, one and a half years ago, and she joined at the age of 15. It was amazing to see how well she related to the audience's questions. She's just deep enough in to know what it is she is in, but not so deep as to lose sight of what she was in before.

So I wouldn't worry about your presentation. Even if you do not yet totally understand how Sudbury schools work and why they're so effective, you're probably going to be able to convey whatever you do understand very well, since you're still in the process of understanding. I don't consider myself totally through with this process, but me and others who have been in this for several years often find ourselves more interested in things that interest other insiders than things that interest newcomers. The fact that we aren't really interested in the newcomers' concerns anymore shows when we speak with them, and I think this makes us less effective in convincing them.

Go there and give them a piece of your mind. If you're passionate about it, and if you can sympathize with their concerns, they will hear you, and some of them may join you. As crazy as your endeavor to start a Sudbury school may be, some of them will join you sooner or later.

Best of wishes,
Michael

Katherine Williams

Jan 12, 2008, 4:24:49 PM1/12/08
to discuss-su...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Michael!

I am so glad I found this list.  I have been very worried about the entire process.  Trying to read everything and understand every word of it and agree to every piece of it.  Your note helps me realize that this is a process.  And that my job is to have others follow right behind me on my path to learning.  Now, while I am 'young' in the process I can relate to others that are new.  And I can encourage their learning.  By the time I have 10 or 12 of these community intros under my belt, I will addressing the bigger questions on philosphy and the newbies will be in touch with the beginning questions.

Thanks!  Your words of wisdom have taken some pressure off!   When I am conducting my meeting, I will think of you cheering me on.  THANKS!

Kathy
Now, I am excited to introduce this to our community!

Diane Ballou

Jan 13, 2008, 9:49:32 AM1/13/08
to discuss-su...@googlegroups.com
Kathy,
Visits need to be approved by S.M.  Our last day for this school year is May 31st.  It would be great to meet your group from south Florida.

All the best,
Diane

Spring Valley School
A Sudbury School for students 4-19

Feb 16, 2008, 5:01:44 PM2/16/08
to Discuss Sudbury Model
Dear Kathy,

I'm a 2nd year Liberal Arts, Management double major at The University
of Texas at Austin. I plan to write my senior thesis on "How to Start
a Sudbury School." I feel that such a text will make the creation and
maintenance of a Sudbury School more accessible to the able and
disenchanted.

This is definitely a bold proposal, but what do you think of my
joining you this summer to help the orchestration of your Sudbury
School? I'm vaguely knowledgeable on business, I'm passionate, and I'm
a decent talker. So I think I can help you, and this would help me
with my immediate thesis goal as well as in the future when others and
I try to start Sudbury schools.

Please consider me seriously. We can work it out.

Sincerely,

Alex Au
ale...@bba07.mccombs.utexas.edu

p.s. Perhaps it's better to converse by private e-mail.

On Jan 13, 8:49 am, "Diane Ballou" <dbal...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> Kathy,
> Visits need to be approved by S.M. Our last day for this school year is May
> 31st. It would be great to meet your group from south Florida.
>
> All the best,
> Diane
>
> Spring Valley School
> A Sudbury School for students 4-19www.springvalleyschool.com

Frederick W Schueler

Feb 16, 2008, 10:58:55 PM2/16/08
Alex Au wrote:

> I'm a 2nd year Liberal Arts, Management double major at The University
> of Texas at Austin. I plan to write my senior thesis on "How to Start
> a Sudbury School." I feel that such a text will make the creation and
> maintenance of a Sudbury School more accessible to the able and
> disenchanted.

* or come to Ottawa, and visit around on the theme of "how an attempt to
start a SVS can fail." Or maybe we could all excavate e-mail files about
the attempt.

fred.

Karen Hyams

Feb 17, 2008, 12:08:32 AM2/17/08
to discuss-su...@googlegroups.com
Alex,

What made you choose your topic? I mean, besides an interest in the
model. Having never started a school myself, I'm wondering what you
are adding to what has already been written and published.

Karen

--
"If the situation does not improve, things can only get worse." -
Anonymous, channelling Yogi Berra

Darren Richmond

Feb 17, 2008, 12:23:09 AM2/17/08
to ale...@bba07.mccombs.utexas.edu, discuss-su...@googlegroups.com, clearviews...@yahoogroups.com
Hi Alex -

I am part of a group here in Austin setting up a Sudbury model school called Clearview. We would love to have you join us, since we are right in town. Our next meeting is Saturday, Feburary 23rd at 2:00pm CST at Central Market.

Doug

Feb 17, 2008, 9:31:41 PM2/17/08
to Discuss Sudbury Model
Hi Kathy,

Congratulations on moving forward on starting your own school.

It takes a person with passion, energy, and diligence to start a new
school.

I wrote an article called, "The Critical Elements With Starting Your
Own School." It has several suggestions on how to start your private
school, and more. Because the article is over 5 pages long, I didn't
want to put it here. Instead, I've put a copy on my web site so that
you can download it and read it at your convenience.

To get a copy of the article on starting a school, you will need to
is look in the section named "Special Reports" on my web site at:

http://www.halladayeducationgroup.com

Thanks,

Doug Halladay
Halladay Education Group
in...@halladayeducationgroup.com

Alex Au

Feb 17, 2008, 4:14:40 PM2/17/08
to Discuss Sudbury Model
Karen,

I see now that I am young and naive. My thesis is a long way aways,
and I don't know exactly what I can contribute to the current
literature. Please excuse my presumption.

Alex

Karen,

I'll try to help the Sudbury effort in Austin. Because of you, I was
able to find them.

Thank you,
Alex

Darren,

I will definitely attend the meeting.

Best,
Alex

Fred,

I may follow up on that. It could be a while though.

Thank you,
Alex