Disco on Amazon EC2

Chris Mueller

Mar 28, 2012, 6:01:50 PM3/28/12
to Disco-development

I put together a Disco AMI and a Disco StarCluster plug-in for a
tutorial at PyData this March. Used in conjunction with the AMI, the
plug-in will spin-up Disco on all the nodes in the cluster and setup
HDFS for use on the local ephemeral storage.

The StarCluster plug-in is available on github at:
https://github.com/cmuellerdev/disco-star

The README explains how to set everything up and start a Disco cluster
on EC2.

If you want to use the AMI directly and create your own cluster, the
public AMI with Disco and lighttpd installed is:
AMI ID: ami-84d10ced

There's also a video of the tutorial at:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuLBsdvCDo8

In addition to using Disco with StarCluster, I also show a simple hack
for using binary data stored on S3 as input to Disco.

Let me know if you find a fun use for the AMI and please let me know
if you run into any problems using it.

-Chris

Chris Mueller

Mar 28, 2012, 8:38:08 PM3/28/12
to Disco-development

That should be DDFS, not HDFS... sorry about that!

-Chris