Playing Favorites: Bethesda's Todd Howard

Kobra_Kai

Oct 22, 2009, 9:49:38 PM10/22/09
to Dino's Ultima Page
In a very old topic, perhaps in another forum, I mentioned many
aspects in which The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion was similar to Ultima
VII. Well, some years later, in the article I'm posting bellow, Todd
Howard confirms that Bethesda Softworks had, in fact, a good taste for
RPG games.

Here it goes:

http://www.industrygamers.com/galleries/playing-favorites-bethesdas-todd-howard/1/

Playing Favorites: Bethesda's Todd Howard
Posted September 24, 2009 by James Brightman

'Kneel Before Todd'

IndustryGamers is a big fan of Oblivion, Fallout 3 and Bethesda
Softworks in general, so we're very pleased today to bring you the
latest in our special "Playing Favorites" series.

Todd Howard is the Game Director and Executive Producer at Bethesda
Game Studios, whose parent company ZeniMax acquired id Software over
the summer. Howard joined Bethesda back in 1994 and has played a major
role in writing and designing several games, including Morrowind,
Daggerfall and more. He also executive produced Fallout 3.

His choices for his all-time favorites list reveal some very
interesting influences.

[Note: If you missed any previous entries, be sure to check out
Playing Favorites for BioWare's Greg Zeschuk, Ray Muzyka, and
Insomniac's Ted Price]

11. SunDog (Apple 2), War Room (Colecovision), and Pitfall! (Atari
2600)
10. Karateka (Apple 2)
9. NCAA Football 2006 (Xbox)
8. Gran Turismo 3 (PS2)
7. Call of Duty 4 (360)
6. Wing Commander/X-Wing (PC)
5. Pac-Man (Arcade)
4. Grand Theft Auto 3 (PS2)
3. Civilization (PC)
2. Doom (PC)

http://www.industrygamers.com/galleries/playing-favorites-bethesdas-todd-howard/12/

1. Ultima 7 (PC)

Depending on the year, I flip this choice around between 3 games:
Ultima 4, Ultima 6, or Ultima 7. No other gaming series has, over such
a long period of time, given me such joy. I get lost in the world of
an Ultima; it’s a real place to me. The people were real, their
problems real, and travelling a new world, ripe with its own history,
all real to me. Nothing else has inspired what I do as much as Richard
Garriott’s creation. If gaming is the ultimate escape, then Ultima is
its best game.