Digg API Down

Milen

Dec 8, 2008, 6:32:54 PM12/8/08
to Digg API
Hi,

We've been trying to use the Digg API for the last 4 days and it's
down (it just doesn't respond to requests). We've been getting reports
from users and we do not really know what's going on. Can anyone shed
any light on the current situation?

Smarty:~ milend$ wget "http://services.digg.com/stories/topic/apple?
count=3&appkey=http%3A%2F%2Fexample.com%2fapplication"
--23:31:11-- http://services.digg.com/stories/topic/apple?count=3&appkey=http%3A%2F%2Fexample.com%2fapplication
=> `apple?count=3&appkey=http:%2F%2Fexample.com
%2Fapplication'
Resolving services.digg.com... 64.191.203.26
Connecting to services.digg.com|64.191.203.26|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response...

It gets stuck like this and it time outs eventually.

Kind regards,
Milen

Joe Stump

Dec 8, 2008, 6:47:49 PM12/8/08
to dig...@googlegroups.com
You can't use example.com as an appkey.

--Joe

Steve French

Dec 8, 2008, 6:51:43 PM12/8/08
to dig...@googlegroups.com
My first suggestion would be to check out the guidelines on http://apidoc.digg.com/ApplicationKeys

But as Joe said, you can't use example.com, as an appkey.

-steve

Milen

Dec 8, 2008, 7:16:38 PM12/8/08
to Digg API

On Dec 8, 11:47 pm, Joe Stump <jst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> You can't use example.com as an appkey.

I just used that an example. Here's the a real request URL from the
app: http://services.digg.com/containers?appkey=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thecosmicmachine.com%2Feventbox

I can successfully retrieve this using wget but it times out in the
app with the following error: Error Domain=NSURLErrorDomain Code=-1001
UserInfo=0x17244350 "timed out"

This used to work for 4 weeks and it suddenly broke with no changes to
our code at all.

> --Joe
>
> On Dec 8, 2008, at 3:32 PM, Milen wrote:
>
> [snip]

Joe Stump

Dec 8, 2008, 9:00:50 PM12/8/08
to dig...@googlegroups.com
On Dec 8, 2008, at 3:51 PM, Steve French wrote:

My first suggestion would be to check out the guidelines on http://apidoc.digg.com/ApplicationKeys

But as Joe said, you can't use example.com, as an appkey.

Also, are you sending a User-Agent? I've verified that your appkey isn't being blocked.

--Joe

Milen

Dec 8, 2008, 9:08:44 PM12/8/08
to Digg API

On Dec 9, 2:00 am, Joe Stump <jst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 8, 2008, at 3:51 PM, Steve French wrote:
>
> > My first suggestion would be to check out the guidelines onhttp://apidoc.digg.com/ApplicationKeys
>
> > But as Joe said, you can't use example.com, as an appkey.
>
> Also, are you sending a User-Agent?

I think it sends the default User-Agent, which is CFNetwork. Does it
have to be anything particular?

Milen

Dec 9, 2008, 3:03:45 AM12/9/08
to Digg API

On Dec 9, 2:00 am, Joe Stump <jst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 8, 2008, at 3:51 PM, Steve French wrote:
>
> > My first suggestion would be to check out the guidelines onhttp://apidoc.digg.com/ApplicationKeys
>
> > But as Joe said, you can't use example.com, as an appkey.
>
> Also, are you sending a User-Agent? I've verified that your appkey
> isn't being blocked.

Here's a raw HTTP request:

GET /containers?appkey=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thecosmicmachine.com
%2Feventbox HTTP/1.1
Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate
Connection: keep-alive
Host: services.digg.com

> --Joe

Milen

Dec 9, 2008, 3:17:38 AM12/9/08
to Digg API

On Dec 9, 2:00 am, Joe Stump <jst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 8, 2008, at 3:51 PM, Steve French wrote:
>
> > My first suggestion would be to check out the guidelines onhttp://apidoc.digg.com/ApplicationKeys
>
> > But as Joe said, you can't use example.com, as an appkey.
>
> Also, are you sending a User-Agent? I've verified that your appkey
> isn't being blocked.

I think I found the issue. I just spoofed the User-Agent with the
Safari one and it now works okay. Is there a reason for the block of
the custom User-Agent?

> --Joe

Daniel Orte

Dec 9, 2008, 10:42:08 AM12/9/08
to dig...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
I'm sorry. I can to solve my problem and I forgot to respond.

Joe Stump

Dec 9, 2008, 11:35:48 AM12/9/08
to dig...@googlegroups.com

On Dec 9, 2008, at 12:17 AM, Milen wrote:

> I think I found the issue. I just spoofed the User-Agent with the
> Safari one and it now works okay. Is there a reason for the block of
> the custom User-Agent?

We don't that I'm aware of. Services_Digg sends a User-Agent of
'Services_Digg x.y.z' where x.y.z is the version number without any
issues.

--Joe

Milen

Dec 9, 2008, 4:26:47 PM12/9/08
to Digg API
Our app definitely gets blocked by the user agent. You can verify this
by running the following two commands:
curl -A "EventB0x" "http://services.digg.com/containers?appkey=http%3A
%2F%2Fwww.thecosmicmachine.com%2Feventbox" (this one succeeds, note
the user agent uses an 0 instead of an o)
curl -A "EventBox" "http://services.digg.com/containers?appkey=http%3A
%2F%2Fwww.thecosmicmachine.com%2Feventbox" (this one gets blocked)

We didn't get any emails / explanation of why we / our users have been
blocked. We will be reducing the refresh limit for our next build
which is due within a week. Can you please shed any light on the
issue?

> --Joe

Kind regards,
Milen