If Women Had Designed Facebook

j...@qworky.net

Oct 2, 2010, 11:49:11 AM10/2/10
to diaspora-discuss
CV Harquail's got a great essay exploring this. Strongly recommended
in general, and particularly relevant from Diaspora's perspective.

Here's an excerpt:

If women had designed Facebook, maybe it would be:

Warmer.
More welcoming.

Flexible.

Expressive.
Inclusive.
Emotional.

Aesthetically inviting.
Personalizable.
Collaborative.
Dynamic.

Intimate.
Engaging.
Flow-y.

Maybe there would even be some music.

More at http://authenticorganizations.com/harquail/2010/09/30/if-women-had-designed-facebook/

jon

Rick Waldron

Oct 2, 2010, 12:09:12 PM10/2/10
to diaspora...@googlegroups.com
So it would look like MySpace? My girlfriend is offended

Rick

-- Sent from my Palm Pre

Message has been deleted

Rick Waldron

Oct 3, 2010, 1:39:51 AM10/3/10
to diaspora...@googlegroups.com
"I think Facebook just tries to be minimalistic and stays out of the
way, so you can focus on the content."

Exactly.

On Sun, Oct 3, 2010 at 1:36 AM, eleusis <mst...@gmail.com> wrote:
I think Facebook just tries to be minimalistic and stays out of the
way, so you can focus on the content.  That's actually one of its
strengths.  I prefer that to the personalizable, expressive, and
creative themes on MySpace, which make profiles gaudy at best and
unreadable at worst.  Most of them are an eyesore.  It would be nice
if you could choose a few other colors besides the stock blue
(actually, you can already do that with a browser extension).
However, such changes should only apply to *you*, and everyone else
could view the site how they wanted.

As for Diaspora, why not leave the default theme as something simple
and minimalistic.  They will be able to modify however they want.

eleusis

Oct 3, 2010, 1:40:15 AM10/3/10
to diaspora-discuss

On Oct 3, 1:36 am, eleusis <mst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> As for Diaspora, why not leave the default theme as something simple
> and minimalistic.  They will be able to modify however they want.

Rather, leave the default theme simple, but provide an easy way to
install themes (like Wordpress does), so people can decorate their
instances however they want.

uiri

Oct 3, 2010, 8:00:51 PM10/3/10
to diaspora-discuss
I think that theming would involve changing the css on the server,
fine and dandy if you're running your own server, if you use someone
else's you have to use whatever they want. I guess css templates with
commenting could be created so that people can make their own
themes...

As for the original post, the link is so vague I'm wondering if the
perceptions are less about facebook's design and more about
Zuckerberg's morality (believing the movie that he has none) and
facebook's morality (which is none existent because it is a company
whose sole responsibility is to turn a profit). Women can design just
as well as men so why don't you get a woman to customize diaspora's
css and see what they come up with?

William Lahti

Oct 9, 2010, 1:01:55 PM10/9/10
to diaspora...@googlegroups.com
Almost nothing in that list is actually a tangible feature. It sounds like all of these points espouse on the nature of Facebook's *theme*, which is relevant when Facebook is the only person holding the key to changing the theme but Diaspora's not like that.

As for theming of Diaspora as a feature, I think it should be avoided like the plague. Do not include "easy theme" options unless they are only slight variations and cannot be easily customized. Why? Because my friends can't design readable websites worth crap, but the Diaspora guys have come up with a nice clean, readable layout. I'm not saying make it impossible, just leave the feature out so one would need to run a customized pod to do these things.

If I wanted to view a friend's page with pink text against a red background I would just use myspace.

That being said, if the community is heavily against this view and totally wants built in theme customization, at least do it in a more palatable way then embedding CSS in a sketchy way in your About Me box :-P

mike

Oct 9, 2010, 1:29:50 PM10/9/10
to diaspora-discuss
Perhaps just a pod only service?

Some pods may have different features integrated. It may be easier to
let the user have the choice in the preferences to disable this
feature as well. That way, those that want to put in a whole lot of
"mess" can do so and those who want just the diaspora theme can have
their way.

uiri

Oct 10, 2010, 10:41:25 PM10/10/10
to diaspora-discuss
This somewhat misunderstands how theming would work.

When you are using diaspora, all the pages are rendered using code on
your server - css, haml, html, erb, javascript, information from the
db, ruby, etc.
So, if you are theming, the themes will change css which you have
control over. Do you have control over all of your friend's servers?
No, just your own, and only if you are hosting your own. So don't
worry about your friend's eye-bleeding css to cause you any eye-
bloodshed. It will only be their eyes which will bleed.

mike

Oct 11, 2010, 12:07:07 PM10/11/10
to diaspora-discuss
I was thinking of just having an optional feature, kinda like a plugin
for firefox, in a diaspora pod that would enable such a feature.

But yes it would be a pod based service not a service like myspace
(eww). That would make for a horrible experience.

Russell Whitaker

Oct 12, 2010, 5:09:42 AM10/12/10
to diaspora...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Oct 3, 2010 at 1:36 AM, eleusis <mst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think Facebook just tries to be minimalistic and stays out of the
> way, so you can focus on the content.  That's actually one of its
> strengths.  I prefer that to the personalizable, expressive, and
> creative themes on MySpace, which make profiles gaudy at best and
> unreadable at worst.  Most of them are an eyesore.  It would be nice
> if you could choose a few other colors besides the stock blue
[SNIP]

I'm surprised that all of you missed the glaring, well-known public
fact of Mark Zuckerberg being red-green colorblind (an X-linked trait),
so the blue theme was the only one he could actually see rendered
the way unaffected viewers see it. Period.

The arrogant feminist crank "scholar" who wrote the original article
that spawned this thread, of course, couldn't be bothered to see
past her own delusional fantasies about the way the world works.

--
Russell Whitaker
http://twitter.com/OrthoNormalRuss

j...@qworky.net

Oct 15, 2010, 11:46:13 AM10/15/10
to diaspora-discuss
This is an interesting test for the Diaspora team. Is Russell's
behavior what you want to see in your community? If so, you'll have a
very hard time attracting women to your project -- or for that matter
guys who don't want to put up with garbage like this. If not, you
need to step in. More in "What a maroon" at http://kallistixf.dreamwidth.org/1048.html

On Zuckerberg's color-blindness, see Anil Dash's take in "The Facebook
Reckoning" http://dashes.com/anil/2010/09/the-facebook-reckoning-1.html
and my perspectives in the first comment.

For theming in general, a lot of people like personalizability and
creativity. And a lot of people just like to have some flexibility
with colors, layout, etc. So I pretty much agree with uiri.

jon

On Oct 12, 2:09 am, Russell Whitaker <russell.whita...@gmail.com>

j...@qworky.net

Oct 15, 2010, 11:59:15 AM10/15/10
to diaspora-discuss
Also cv's got a followup: "Facebook for Women vs. Facebook Designed by
Feminists: Different vs. Revolutionary"

http://authenticorganizations.com/harquail/2010/10/05/facebook-for-women-vs-facebook-designed-by-feminists-different-vs-revolutionary/

jon

Raphael Sofaer

Oct 15, 2010, 6:30:16 PM10/15/10
to diaspora...@googlegroups.com
I've spoken to Russell out of band, and I think he'll be more civil in the future.  It was probably the flashbacks to the Dark Days of Auto-Playing Midi Files that drove him into a rage.

Poking fun is fine, but vitriol is unacceptable.

Cheers,
Raphael

Russell Whitaker

Oct 16, 2010, 2:06:20 PM10/16/10
to diaspora...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 6:30 PM, Raphael Sofaer
<rap...@joindiaspora.com> wrote:
> I've spoken to Russell out of band, and I think he'll be more civil in the
> future.

Raphael sent me private email declaring the fact of his sensitivities having
been piqued by a sense of humor he doesn't share. I agreed to shut up because
he's one of the four kids running the project. But then now...

> It was probably the flashbacks to the Dark Days of Auto-Playing
> Midi Files that drove him into a rage.

Rage? Wow. You've never heard - or apparently heard of - George Carlin.

> Poking fun is fine, but vitriol is unacceptable.

"Vitriol"? See above. You call it that because you disagree.

Anyway, I lost interest in this project (after having spent some of the summer
boosting it) when I discovered you kids aren't willing to listen to
the old security
farts about how to do this stuff right. You're in for some rough
handling from the
professionals in the near future.

Good luck with all that.

Cheers,
Russell

Russell Whitaker

Oct 16, 2010, 2:20:34 PM10/16/10
On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 11:46 AM, j...@qworky.net <j...@qworky.net> wrote:
> This is an interesting test for the Diaspora team.

Why? The "Diaspora team" are 4 guys. I'm not on that team. I'm not even
an embarrassing drunkard uncle they have to put up with at family reunions:
they can kick me out of their frat party anytime they like.

> Is Russell's
> behavior what you want to see in your community?

Who appointed you Arbiter of Taste?

>  If so, you'll have a
> very hard time attracting women to your project -- or for that matter
> guys who don't want to put up with garbage like this.

What sort of crack are you smoking to not understand that open
source projects *in general* are "overrepresented" by males. This
isn't even controversial, except maybe among those who don't
code for a living and haven't seen a real workplace. Keep
fantasizing, kid.

> If not, you
> need to step in.  More in "What a maroon" at http://kallistixf.dreamwidth.org/1048.html

Hilarious! Thanks for the coverage!

> On Zuckerberg's color-blindness, see Anil Dash's take in "The Facebook
> Reckoning" http://dashes.com/anil/2010/09/the-facebook-reckoning-1.html
> and my perspectives in the first comment.
>
> For theming in general, a lot of people like personalizability and
> creativity.  And a lot of people just like to have some flexibility
> with colors, layout, etc.  So I pretty much agree with uiri.

There's a time when I would have cared what you people think, but your
obsession with "creativity... colors, layout, etc" is laughable in light of your
agressive disinterest in the mundanities of security.

Because UI skins are *so much more* interesting than baking
security into the first developer release. You're not fooling anyone
guys.

Russell

> jon
>

> On Oct 12, 2:09 am, Russell Whitaker <russell.whita...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> On Sun, Oct 3, 2010 at 1:36 AM, eleusis <mst...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > I think Facebook just tries to be minimalistic and stays out of the
>> > way, so you can focus on the content.  That's actually one of its
>> > strengths.  I prefer that to the personalizable, expressive, and
>> > creative themes on MySpace, which make profiles gaudy at best and
>> > unreadable at worst.  Most of them are an eyesore.  It would be nice
>> > if you could choose a few other colors besides the stock blue
>>
>> [SNIP]
>>
>> I'm surprised that all of you missed the glaring, well-known public
>> fact of Mark Zuckerberg being red-green colorblind (an X-linked trait),
>> so the blue theme was the only one he could actually see rendered
>> the way unaffected viewers see it. Period.
>>
>> The arrogant feminist crank "scholar" who wrote the original article
>> that spawned this thread, of course, couldn't be bothered to see
>> past her own delusional fantasies about the way the world works.

Max Salzberg

Oct 16, 2010, 9:40:07 PM10/16/10
to diaspora-discuss

> What sort of crack are you smoking to not understand that open
> source projects *in general* are "overrepresented" by males. This
> isn't even controversial, except maybe among those who don't
> code for a living and haven't seen a real workplace. Keep
> fantasizing, kid.

I WILL KEEP FANTASIZING, because that's what got me where I am today.

But really, I agree with the facts that the Free Software, and tech
world in general women are underrepresented, and that really bums me
out.

I don't agree with your stance that this isn't something that can
change. If we had that kind of attitude, I am not even sure we would
have started the project. While I am not about to give Diaspora a
default soundtrack, when the four of us started, we realized that a
fundamental part of making Diaspora a success is about designing for
people who are not "just like us". I think too many free software
projects design for their own "recursive publics", and they make great
software to serve their own needs. To date, no open source project
has really cracked the nut on creating a breakout social platform. I
wouldn't be surprised that if this wasn't somewhat correlated to the
tunnel vision of dudes making stuff for dudes. We are pretty self
conscious that we happen to be "four guys from the same school," and
we are doing our best to try and separate our users from our meatspace
selves.

When I sit down the keyboard, even if I am trying write something dumb
and nerdy like an asynchronous web finger client, all I am trying to
do is make something that my younger sister thinks is the coolest
thing in the whole world. I know if we can convince her, we win.
That's really all that matters: making something so awesome my sister
want to use it, because it is the best way to share stuff with your
friends, free software or not free software.

In order to do this, we need some help. We need a diversity of design
thinking. That includes the "delusional fantasies" of myself, Russ,
the author of the original article, an expanded community. Not
agreeing with a perspective is perfectly constructive feedback, but
dismissing it altogether is a fundamental mistake. Just because woman
are currently underrepresented does not mean that we should not
include them in our design target. In fact, that probably means that
attracting woman to help us with diaspora is more important.

> Because UI skins are *so much more* interesting than baking
> security into the first developer release. You're not fooling anyone
> guys.

Russell, if you want to have a conversation about a specific piece of
code re: security, we would love to have a talk with you. You can
fork the repo at http://github.com/diaspora/diaspora, and submit a
pull request.

Please continue to have a constructive conversation, I just wanted to
clear the air a bit.

And if someone posts again explaining why Facebook is blue, I might go
crazy. Maybe Zuck just likes blue.

peace, love, and understanding,

maxwell