What will you do with Diaspora?

Jorah

Sep 15, 2010, 8:48:23 PM9/15/10
to diaspora-discuss
Share what you hope to do with Diaspora. Maybe this will help prompt
someone else's thinking!

Sneakyness

Sep 15, 2010, 8:57:56 PM9/15/10
to diaspora-discuss
I'm currently developing a medical marijuana social network for
caregivers and patients, I'm interested to see what Diaspora can do
for us.

hermyhilton

Sep 15, 2010, 9:02:52 PM9/15/10
to diaspora-discuss
Just working on add-ons. have an unofficial git hub for add-on related
materials.
Nothing there yet but very soon

codethief

Sep 15, 2010, 9:03:53 PM9/15/10
to diaspora-discuss
I'm looking for a personal identity tool which stores all my contacts,
calendar dates, docs, pics, videos, images and which (besides sharing
them with friends) synchronizes seamlessly with my mobile, my laptop
and with any other device I want it to.
Fantasy: Introduce a container (zip) format that stores all that
important social media information (file id, title, who's on a
picture, author / co-authors, license / copyright, PGP signatures)
with a file so that
1. I always have the important stuff with me, even when I'm offline
(e.g. on a simple portable HDD with no server running on it)
2. people finally become aware of other people's rights.

Let's see if I can get Diaspora to do that for me. I was already into
developping a software on my own when I noticed these guys'
kickstarter site.

Avery

Sep 15, 2010, 9:04:37 PM9/15/10
to diaspora-discuss
I want to use Diaspora as a private blog, to communicate with friends.
Obviously, for friends to use it without too much hassle I'll need the
standard array of Facebook, Twitter, OpenID login buttons.

hermyhilton

Sep 15, 2010, 9:06:49 PM9/15/10
to diaspora-discuss

Fajro

Sep 15, 2010, 9:11:06 PM9/15/10
to diaspora-discuss
On 15 sep, 21:48, Jorah <m.j.la...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Share what you hope to do with Diaspora. Maybe this will help prompt
> someone else's thinking!

I want to translate it into Esperanto.

Where are the .po files?

tharok

Sep 15, 2010, 9:13:44 PM9/15/10
to diaspora-discuss
Design design and design... I want to personalize Diaspora as much as
I can to make it a real personal network. Facebook have millions of
users, but their profiles looks all the same...

Liam Lahti

Sep 15, 2010, 9:15:43 PM9/15/10
to diaspora-discuss
Replace Facebook's walled garden of advertising with an open,
standard, Internet-like distributed social network. I want my freedom
box! :-D

Fajro

Sep 15, 2010, 9:27:31 PM9/15/10
to diaspora-discuss
I wouldn't mind ads, if they are from http://adbard.net/ ;)

Alex

Sep 15, 2010, 9:36:47 PM9/15/10
to diaspora-discuss
Ditto to this. I was getting sick of Facebook's archaic rules and
'look we're adding new features that you hate' mentality. I wanted a
social network that I had control over just like my website. Free to
do with what I please.

Downloading the developer release right now. I can't wait to get
started.

Jeffrey Rolland

Sep 15, 2010, 9:37:23 PM9/15/10
to diaspora-discuss
Everything I currently do with Facebook, but sharing only what I want
with my Diaspora-friends :)

cyborganize

Sep 15, 2010, 9:41:35 PM9/15/10
to diaspora-discuss
My dream is that Diaspora could be a viable new platform for online
fandom of the type that is largely still stuck on LiveJournal (almost
as evil as Facebook). The main alternative right now is a community
supported code fork, and while they're improving LJ's code it's still
a 10-year-old interface they're starting with (ugly and ponderous).

This dream would primarily require the ability to run Diaspora under a
pseudonym. Ideally with multiple pseudonyms tied to aspects, so you
could use your real name with some groups of friends and a pseud with
others. Although alternately one could maintain separate Diaspora
profiles, I suppose.

In addition to the standard:
- groups of some sort for community participation
- blog-like archive of posts (longer than status messages)
- notification feed of all your friends/groups' updates

PLEASE SAVE US, DIASPORA.

See further: http://transformativeworks.org/faq

KDW

Sep 15, 2010, 9:45:14 PM9/15/10
to diaspora-discuss
Never joined Facebook, mainly because of the privacy concerns and
horror stories from people truly stalking users (in the beginning more
so than now).

I wanted control over my privacy and who gets to see what. Hopefully
Diaspora does what I've been hearing...I'll be happy.

KDW

MMcCubbing

Sep 15, 2010, 9:47:34 PM9/15/10
to diaspora-discuss
On Sep 15, 8:48 pm, Jorah <m.j.la...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Share what you hope to do with Diaspora. Maybe this will help prompt
> someone else's thinking!

I hope to use Diaspora to pull all of my data, files, and activities
from across the web into a "garden" of my own control. I want to be
able to host (preferably, or at least link to) all of my images,
audio, video, documents, statuses and geo-data, contacts, calendars,
bookmarks/links, genealogical information, and other data of my
choosing and control who has access to it.

I want to be able to control if ads are shown on my pages and, if so,
I want to profit from them and have some control over them.

I want an easy way to extend or modify the site in both features and
design, so that I can make it fit me in form and function.

I want to be able to use it as a single source for my online identity,
both human and machine accessible.

seltzered

Sep 15, 2010, 9:48:04 PM9/15/10
to diaspora-discuss
I use social networks primarily for photo sharing. Unfortunately I've
had a terrible user experience using Facebook (photo uploading is
cumbersome, and I prefer letting people view my stuff in fullscreen
modes, at 1080p and up quality).

Hopefully this can be done with diaspora.

codethief

Sep 15, 2010, 10:21:44 PM9/15/10
to diaspora-discuss
On 16 Sep., 03:41, cyborganize <cyborgan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This dream would primarily require the ability to run Diaspora under a
> pseudonym. Ideally with multiple pseudonyms tied to aspects, so you
> could use your real name with some groups of friends and a pseud with
> others. Although alternately one could maintain separate Diaspora
> profiles, I suppose.

Diaspora absolutely needs this. Let's implement it! (I have to learn
Ruby first, though ;))

Nelson Blaha

Sep 15, 2010, 10:37:07 PM9/15/10
to diaspora-discuss
replace:
Facebook
Twitter
Gmail
Google Reader
Google Calendar
Google Talk
Remember The Milk
Foursquare

Dan Gooden

Sep 15, 2010, 10:43:39 PM9/15/10
to diaspora-discuss
i'm considering leveraging diaspora to setup an open source network of
online communities that facilitate the sharing and giving necessary to
support sustainable existence. Individuals within each community will
be able to share items, ask for and give services to others and share
spaces for living, creating or playing. if successful i
m hoping to build a grassroots tool that helps us co-ordinate our
individual needs and desires at the communal level without the need
for money.

i'll be leveraging the technology and framework of diaspora and
overlaying the necessary functions and code to build my vision of a
shared earth.

DeadSuperHero

Sep 15, 2010, 11:35:30 PM9/15/10
to diaspora-discuss
I'd love to look into building a gaming social network dedicated to
FOSS gaming. I'd love to start up some leaderboards, and help FOSS
game developers integrate the leaderboards and chat APIs into their
games.

andy baxter

Sep 15, 2010, 11:52:49 PM9/15/10
to diaspora...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I've been thinking for some time that something like this was needed but
never got as far as writing anything, so massive respect to the
developers for doing this. :)

One thing is I just want to try it out and see what it looks like, and
see if I can set up a seed which my friends can join, and test the
network a bit.

Things I might be able to help with:

* An installation and user guide - is there a wiki somewhere which we
can join and work on a manual together?
* Bug reporting and fixing. (Though I know no ruby yet, so maybe not for
a while)

Ideas for things I'd like to see:

* I was thinking about how groups might work. I read in relation to
another project someone's idea that in a network like this, groups
should be hosted by sites which are themselves seeds in the network,
which seems like a good one to me. So that seed is responsible for
maintaining the membership list, but people can join the group from
other seeds. E.g. you might have a home brewing site which carries a few
groups about making beer and wine, or an open hardware interest /
discussion group could be hosted by someone like arduino.cc

* I've had an idea in the back of my mind for a while about a browser
independent personal bookmark server and history search engine, which
would share bookmarks when appropriate with friends in a network like
this, and I'll be interested in looking at the code to see how diaspora
might work with that idea.

andy

codethief

Sep 15, 2010, 11:56:28 PM9/15/10
to diaspora-discuss

There's one over here: http://github.com/diaspora/diaspora/wiki

> Ideas for things I'd like to see:
>
> * I was thinking about how groups might work. I read in relation to
> another project someone's idea that in a network like this, groups
> should be hosted by sites which are themselves seeds in the network,
> which seems like a good one to me. So that seed is responsible for
> maintaining the membership list, but people can join the group from
> other seeds. E.g. you might have a home brewing site which carries a few
> groups about making beer and wine, or an open hardware interest /
> discussion group could be hosted by someone like arduino.cc
>
> * I've had an idea in the back of my mind for a while about a browser
> independent personal bookmark server and history search engine, which
> would share bookmarks when appropriate with friends in a network like
> this, and I'll be interested in looking at the code to see how diaspora
> might work with that idea.

I was thinking about exactly the same things! :)

andy baxter

Sep 16, 2010, 12:21:32 AM9/16/10
to diaspora...@googlegroups.com

Cool! Maybe we can work together at some point. For the moment I'm going
to be focusing on learning ruby and the diaspora codebase.

Th_Mole

Sep 16, 2010, 1:10:24 AM9/16/10
to diaspora-discuss
Ultimately I would like to securely narrowcast an entire website -- as
opposed to the broadcast approach the web uses -- and connect the two
versions (open web & secure network) so they can stymie hackers by
"checking" with each other.

For now, just to make a secure website available only to those who
care about the content will work for my goals.

Max Bell

Sep 16, 2010, 2:27:37 AM9/16/10
to diaspora-discuss
Woo-hoo, it's live!

I want to work on the part of the wish list that involves getting
Diaspora running on people's computers. My web background is with
Drupal (way back in the day; anybody remember DeanSpace?) and I did a
little support and documentation. I know it's kind of cheesy taking
the easy stuff, but this suits my skill set and I have a lot of
background in setting up sandbox servers and the like.

Anybody wants to help, by all means, I'm on my email pretty much
always (or twitter @max_bell) and anybody who can do it faster or
sooner, I'll do what I can to help you and stay out of the way,
otherwise.

I do think that simplifying adoption is key to the project's success
-- facebook you just give it an email address and a password and it
does all the work of stealing your soul for you. Diaspora's going to
be a little more complicated. At first.

My plan is to produce documentation at two levels; a technical level
(that covers platform specifics, potential gotchas, optional settings
and that sort of thing) and a (hopefully very short) bullet point set
of installation instructions. Windows and Mac I can do; my Linux chops
are minimal. When there's a good "feel" for how the installation
should go, then I want to work on a (cross-platform) installer so that
anyone with a mouse can set it up on their Vaio or thumbdrive or
whatever by hitting the clicky and maybe typing something.

My wish list? A plugin manager that keeps track of plugin releases (so
people with a working seed can proceed directly to the "app store" and
start snarfing goodies to get a feel for their new software and
personalize it).

And my "if I was gonna REALLY wish" list? A return to the kind of
online communities that existed when it was still all BBS'. Websites
don't cut it and facebook is a freaking obstacle to that sort of
thing...

shadowfirebird

Sep 16, 2010, 4:10:32 AM9/16/10
to diaspora-discuss
I'm chiefly looking for an easy-to-install, working package that
allows people to securely swap messages and pictures. The flashy
stuff can wait.

I won't use Facebook because of privacy concerns; but beyond that, the
whole internet is public, and that has its own basic privacy issues.
I don't like the idea of my employer in ten years time learning what I
thought about his company ten years ago!

It would be very nice to share stuff over the internet with my friends
without worrying about all that. Of course, persuading my friends to
join me is a problem, but one step at a time. We need the software
first.

demopoly

Sep 16, 2010, 5:11:32 AM9/16/10
to diaspora-discuss
No secret here, I want to promote science. I'm hoping to get an online
certification program going in a very nontraditional nonlinear
education system, so that third world and second world citizens can
gain a science background without attending MIT or Cal Poly, etc.

I'm very eager to get past the early bugs and get Diaspora running so
I can examine the possibilities. I've attended many online
universities, even UofP, and they're all terrible. I'd rather put ten
grand a year into this than throw it away on more Eclasses. 30K a year
to attend a real university now...

Mike626

Sep 18, 2010, 10:35:46 PM9/18/10
to diaspora-discuss
Now that I have it up and running... one day I would like to connect
with another seed. :-)

Cayu

Sep 19, 2010, 7:55:07 PM9/19/10
to diaspora-discuss
I Want to have and alternative tool to facebook
and I want to make a social network for indigenous people in Argentina