temporarily removing websocket

Maxwell Salzberg

Jan 3, 2012, 9:52:30 PM1/3/12
to diaspo...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

Just to let all the pod-runners out there know, I have removed the web socket on the master tip of Diaspora.  As many of you know, it has been pretty buggy and source of a few performance problems as of late.  Since we are also moving joindiaspora.com to Heroku, which requires us to have a different websocket strategy anyways, we decided to take it out for the time being.  This means you no longer need to have your websocket process running, as it will no longer do anything :)

Moving forward, once the backbone-stream branch(https://github.com/diaspora/diaspora/tree/backbone-stream) gets merged however, a couple of things will happen.

1) it will be easy to implement a polling strategy for updates, which means that live updating will not depend on the websocket, which should help users in constrained hosting situations

2) as we are trying to keep most of our interaction between client and server json, it would be easier to include a more generic solution (such as Socket.io) when we do want to pull websockets back in.

The websocketing logic has been stubbed out for now, so we know where we might want to socket things when we do get around to putting it back in.

Happy new year!

maxwell