how to customize pods without breaking interoperability?

elf Pavlik

Dec 2, 2011, 4:19:55 PM12/2/11
to diaspora-dev
Hello =)

Do we have any documentation on which parts of the code interoperability between pods depends? I would like to put up a pod and make various modifications to it, at the same time of course I don't want to break anything related to communication with other pods.

Can we maybe have a distinction in tests between those related to interpod functionality and the specific for local pod? This way everyone could customize their pods without breaking communication...

Any suggestions very appreciated!
~ elf Pavlik ~

Pistos

Dec 2, 2011, 4:35:45 PM12/2/11
to diaspora-dev

My response is probably not going to fully answer your questions, but
I'll say my peace anyway:

Here is the script I use to build diasp0ra.ca by merging all my
desired features onto the master tip (or any tip).
https://gist.github.com/e4c9721f262005d71c0b

With this tool and strategy, I make separate topic branches for every
feature (or fix) I would like that isn't in the master branch (whether
because of delay, or by intention). That lets me come along for the
ride as the main line of development progresses, but still have my pod-
specific features.

Now, having said that, I would also like to mention that there are a
number of joindiaspora.com-specific things in the codebase. I have an
outstanding topic branch[1] which aims to whitewash some of these
things out of the codebase, so that the main code trunk is as pod-
neutral as possible. Personally, I believe that even JD.com should
have to deploy pod-specific things the same way as the rest of the
pods, and that it shouldn't enjoy any privileged status by having the
main codebase be "JD.com's codebase", while the rest of us have to
undo JD.com things when we deploy.

I don't think there are clear distinctions in the tests or even the
code as to which bits have to do with inter-pod communications,
federation, etc. But what sort of pod-local modifications did you
have in mind?

Pistos

[1]: https://github.com/diaspora/diaspora/pull/2463

elf Pavlik

Dec 2, 2011, 4:51:49 PM12/2/11
to diaspora-dev
Excerpts from Pistos's message of 2011-12-02 21:35:45 +0000:

> On Dec 2, 4:19 pm, elf Pavlik <perpetual-trip...@wwelves.org> wrote:
> > Do we have any documentation on which parts of the code interoperability between pods depends? I would like to put up a pod and make various modifications to it, at the same time of course I don't want to break anything related to communication with other pods.
> >
> > Can we maybe have a distinction in tests between those related to interpod functionality and the specific for local pod? This way everyone could customize their pods without breaking communication...
> >
> > Any suggestions very appreciated!
>
> My response is probably not going to fully answer your questions, but
> I'll say my peace anyway:
>
> Here is the script I use to build diasp0ra.ca by merging all my
> desired features onto the master tip (or any tip).
> https://gist.github.com/e4c9721f262005d71c0b
>
> With this tool and strategy, I make separate topic branches for every
> feature (or fix) I would like that isn't in the master branch (whether
> because of delay, or by intention). That lets me come along for the
> ride as the main line of development progresses, but still have my pod-
> specific features.
thanks! looks useful...

> Now, having said that, I would also like to mention that there are a
> number of joindiaspora.com-specific things in the codebase. I have an
> outstanding topic branch[1] which aims to whitewash some of these
> things out of the codebase, so that the main code trunk is as pod-
> neutral as possible. Personally, I believe that even JD.com should
> have to deploy pod-specific things the same way as the rest of the
> pods, and that it shouldn't enjoy any privileged status by having the
> main codebase be "JD.com's codebase", while the rest of us have to
> undo JD.com things when we deploy.

any comments from joindiaspora.com maintainters?

> I don't think there are clear distinctions in the tests or even the
> code as to which bits have to do with inter-pod communications,
> federation, etc. But what sort of pod-local modifications did you
> have in mind?

not sure yet, but before deciding to use diaspora i would like to know how much flexibility i will have with customizing pod i run for my preferences...

> Pistos
>
> [1]: https://github.com/diaspora/diaspora/pull/2463

Thanks a bunch for replying Pistos!

~ elf Pavlik ~

elf Pavlik

Dec 2, 2011, 4:55:32 PM12/2/11
to diaspora-dev
Excerpts from elf Pavlik's message of 2011-12-02 21:19:55 +0000:

i've started a wiki page for this topic, please feel invited to share your knowledge there, or just post it to this thread and I will add it to wiki...
https://github.com/diaspora/diaspora/wiki/Customizing-a-pod