New restaraunt to try!

1 view

Harlan Whitley

Jun 23, 1994, 9:27:31 AM6/23/94
I just went to Star Canyon in Dallas last night, it is strictly
Southwestern. The food, service, and atmosphere is excellent.

I give it ***** (5 stars).

The chef, Stephen, is the chef from Baby Routh's.

CHECK IT OUT.

Tom Jacob

Jun 23, 1994, 11:48:51 AM6/23/94
In article <Cruqp...@skopen.dseg.ti.com> whi...@skass1.asl1 (Harlan
Whitley) writes:
> I just went to Star Canyon in Dallas last night, it is strictly
> Southwestern. The food, service, and atmosphere is excellent.
>
> I give it ***** (5 stars).

Star Canyon is indeed an excellent restaurant that I recommend highly.
Once they get the opening kinks worked out, it may very well be the
best restaurant in Dallas.

> The chef, Stephen, is the chef from Baby Routh's.

This is wrong. The chef/owner is Stephen Pyles, the former chef/part-owner
of the Routh Street Cafe. Pyles may have (or have had) a financial
interest in Baby Routh, but he has never been the chef there.

Kevin Rathbun has been the chef at Baby Routh for some time, and
continues to be the chef there.

Tom Jacob
Department of Computer Science
University of North Texas

phil b. aylward

Jun 23, 1994, 11:08:17 AM6/23/94
Harlan Whitley (whi...@skass1.asl1) wrote:
: I just went to Star Canyon in Dallas last night, it is strictly

: Southwestern. The food, service, and atmosphere is excellent.

: I give it ***** (5 stars).

: The chef, Stephen, is the chef from Baby Routh's.

^^^^^^^^^^^^
Actually, he was the chef at Routh Street Cafe.

: CHECK IT OUT.

--
#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#
# Phil B. Aylward || ayl...@dseg.ti.com #

Damon Bowman

Jun 27, 1994, 2:43:00 PM6/27/94

HW> I just went to Star Canyon in Dallas last night, it is strictly
HW> Southwestern. The food, service, and atmosphere is excellent.

Where is it? How expensive is it? Do you have to wear a tie?

----

Harlan Whitley

Jun 28, 1994, 9:15:33 AM6/28/94
In article uu...@lunatic3.uucp.netcom.com, damon....@lunatic3.uucp.netcom.com (Damon Bowman) writes:

>HW> I just went to Star Canyon in Dallas last night, it is strictly
>HW> Southwestern. The food, service, and atmosphere is excellent.
>
>Where is it? How expensive is it? Do you have to wear a tie?

It's on the corner of Oak Lawn and Cedar Springs in an office building,
brown in color, I believe.

The prices range from $7-8 for a mexican style dinner to $13-21 for the
better meals. For example, duck, pheasant, tenderloin, fish, poultry.
I had the beef tenderloin, and it was awesome.

No, you don't have to wear a tie, it is rather casual. But, the uppity (sp?)
crowds are there and they tend to dress nice but casual.

Another thing, I have heard that there is a 2-week wait for reservations.

Hope you can go!

_harlan_

Kenyon Jon Michael

Jun 28, 1994, 11:44:37 PM6/28/94
Tom Jacob (ja...@c3po.csci.unt.edu) wrote:
> In article <Cruqp...@skopen.dseg.ti.com> whi...@skass1.asl1 (Harlan
> Whitley) writes:
> > I just went to Star Canyon in Dallas last night, it is strictly
> > Southwestern. The food, service, and atmosphere is excellent.

> > The chef, Stephen, is the chef from Baby Routh's.

> This is wrong. The chef/owner is Stephen Pyles, the former chef/part-owner
> of the Routh Street Cafe. Pyles may have (or have had) a financial
> interest in Baby Routh, but he has never been the chef there.

Stephen Pyles' latest cookbook, *The New Texas Cuisine* lists him as the
"award winning chef/owner of Routh Street Cafe and Baby Routh."

Michael Kenyon
ip...@jove.acs.unt.edu
.sigless but not bitter

Tom Jacob

Jun 29, 1994, 7:35:02 PM6/29/94
In article <2uqqn5$f...@hermes.unt.edu> ip...@jove.acs.unt.edu (Kenyon Jon

<The above has been edited a bit.>

OK, maybe I shouldn't have said that the posting was *wrong*, but it
still strikes me as a bit off.

Stephen Pyles and John Dayton (and some silent partners?) were owners
of Routh Street Cafe, Baby Routh and two restaurants in Minneapolis/
St. Paul. I think that Pyles was listed in some way as "chef" at all
of them. Maybe his title was executive chef; I can't remember.

However, he was "chef" as we usually understand that word only at the
Routh Street Cafe. Kevin Rathbun has been chef at Baby Routh for
several years, in the sense that he creates new dishes, makes up the
menus, and runs the kitchen. How much he consulted with Pyles I don't
know, but I do know that for the last 2-3 years, it has been pretty much
his operation.

The point of my original posting was basically that describing
Stephen Pyles as the former chef at Baby Routh is a little like
describing Tony Dorsett as the former running back of the Denver
Broncos (or whoever he played for after leaving the Cowboys). It may
be true, but it's not what he's famous for. Similarly, Stephen Pyles
would never be described by any hardcore food fanatic as the former
chef at Baby Routh.

Jim Kerr

Jul 5, 1994, 1:30:14 PM7/5/94

I must join in with a strong recommendation for Star Canyon. I went Saturday
night for the second time (the first was for a pre-opening benefit). The food
is excellent "new Texas" - game and local ingredients are featured with
Southwestern / Mexican seasonings. I had a tamale tart (tamale dough crust,
garlic custard, topped with gulf crabmeat) for starters, followed with
coriander-cured venison servied with maple-pecan buttered roasted yam and
zucchini chilaquiles (tortilla strips and vegetables bound with eggs).
Dessert was the ultra-formidable "Heaven and Hell" cake - a massive slice of
layers of angel food and chocolate cakes with chocolate and peanut butter
buttercreams, topped with chocolate icing and served with white/dark marbled
chocolate "brickle" on the side.

The decor is very well done. The theme is clearly Texas, with buckskin,
barbed wire, and livestock in abundance, but all done by contemporary
artisans. It's obvious that quite a bit of money was invested. It's impressive
but not intimidating in the Mansion sense. I was a big fan of Routh Street,
but my friends found it too cold; they liked Star Canyon much more. It's
a warmer, more casual place. Dress ranges from casual (men without ties or
jackets) through evening wear. It is also not nearly as expensive as Routh
Street. We had a group of 7 and had drinks, wine (3 bottles), dinner, and
20% tip and got out for $60/person. The Heaven & Hell cake was only $4.75.
It's not cheap, but for what will certainly be a 4-5 star restaurant, it's
reasonable. On scale with Baby Routh.

Star Canyon is in the Centrum office building at the corner of Oak Lawn
and Cedar Springs. You will want to make reservations; when I was there
Saturday the walkup wait was 2 hours. If you have a party of 8 (which we
had before one cancelled) you can reserve the wine room, which is a somewhat
sequestered alcove - a little quieter than the main dining area but you can
still see everything. Very nice.

To use the local vernacular - Joe Bob says five stars - check it out!

Jim Kerr Convex Computer Corp.
ke...@convex.com Richardson, TX USA