Texas Haggis

Thurman

Jul 19, 2003, 10:36:13 PM7/19/03
From the Mexican.cooking newsgroup:

I finally got around to buying a couple of those "Machitos"
sold at a
few of the local HEB's for $2.77/lb. They come from the Cabrito
Market in Mission, TX.

They're intestines wrapped around thick caul fat (omental fat),
wrapped around chopped heart and liver. They're made
entirely of lamb
and/or goat according to the ingredients. They weigh about
1lb each
and could be mistaken for large, short penises of unknown
origin.

The intestines (1/4" wide) are wrapped in a spiral fassion,
probably
about 2 feet all together. They did indeed crisp up in the
oven at
350 for 1.5 hours (as they directions indicated), but not
all the fat
rendered out. The liver was way too strong and had a nasty,
pudding
texture. The taste of lamb was very faint - I would have
guessed I
was eating pork if I didn't already know the ingredients.

Bottom line - if there was no liver and they cost $1.50/lb
or less, I
might buy tham again. But the liver taste and texture was
just too
overpowering. Don't look for them anytime soon, and if you
do happen
to see them, run. They seem to be a local invention of some
sort;
Some kind of sick tex-mex joke.

[cross-posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking]

-sw

marc...@gmail.com

Jan 18, 2014, 11:24:01 AM1/18/14