Xiao Long Bao meet up at Shangrila

VTB

Jan 29, 2011, 4:56:44 PM1/29/11
to Detroit Chow
Just thought I'd get this exploratory discussion started. (re:
http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/753201 ). I already emailed Oppsie
yesterday. I haven't yet heard back, but I'd like to avoid having
parallel organizational efforts going on, so I'll hang on and see
whether Oppsie or the original instigator goatgolfer checks in.
Cheers, VTB

MarkCron

Jan 30, 2011, 10:47:58 AM1/30/11
to Detroit Chow
I want to do this. Bad evenings for me are Mondays and Tuesdays.
Thanks vtb and Janelle
mark

On Jan 29, 4:56 pm, VTB <xzn...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Just thought I'd get this exploratory discussion started. (re:http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/753201).  I already emailed Oppsie

rainsux

Jan 30, 2011, 12:53:07 PM1/30/11
to Detroit Chow
Count me "in." Since I work in DC (live in WB), my
ability to participate may be a tad limited.

-doug

On Jan 29, 4:56 pm, VTB <xzn...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Just thought I'd get this exploratory discussion started. (re:http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/753201).  I already emailed Oppsie

janelle

Jan 30, 2011, 1:03:07 PM1/30/11
to Detroit Chow
I'm in too. Mondays through Wednesday aren't good for me, either...
the later in the week, the better for me.

I recall someone had gone so far as to contact a restaurant to see if
they'd make soup dumplings for us. Anyone remember what restaurant it
was and who had made the contact? Should we follow up, or wait for
those folks to jump in?

On Jan 29, 4:56 pm, VTB <xzn...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Just thought I'd get this exploratory discussion started. (re:http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/753201).  I already emailed Oppsie

VTB

Jan 31, 2011, 8:48:00 PM1/31/11
to Detroit Chow
Yes, goatgolfer was in the conceptual stages with chef Raymond Wong at
Shangrila on Orchard Lake. I don't know goatgolfer, but I gather he
will be speaking up again about his follow up, on the CH board, and
then we can firm up details and RSVPs here at Google. May take a
couple days... Cheers

goatgolfer

Feb 1, 2011, 5:24:11 PM2/1/11
to Detroit Chow
Well, it's the GoatGolfer on CH (also known as Paul by my mother and
PCBubbler on gmail) and thanks to Janelle for opening a channel for
discussion about a get together that was somehow unfortunately deemed
subversive on the CH site. Normally everyone is quite cordial. Who
knew?

I spoke to Raymond Wong of Shangri-La (and seems to be the dim sum
guy) again today and he suggests a two-pronged approach. The soup
dumpling has many meanings, fillings, pastry and cooking styles
(steaming/chow) but the Xiao Long Bao ( baseball sized with soup
inside) is a specific subset and he agrees to include it in the test
menu. Please note that the tasting menu test will be at Shangri-La
Midtown as he is there to run the restaurant and wants to control the
test event. When the second (hopeful) larger event opens it will
likely expand to the other sites. He prefers this for quality control
and it was a reasonable suggestion.

He personally knows how to make Xiao Long Bao but doesn't know the
experience of the kitchen staff. He proposed a modestly sized tasting/
family menu (budget to be set by us) for 8-10 guests at Shangri-La
Midtown. He suggested Saturday early evening was best for the test
run. We would propose the number of guests (probably first come first
served and I will be the captain of the launch) and he would propose a
tasting menu with the soup dumplings featured but a few surprises as
well.

Then, to be inclusive with the CH supporters through this melange,
Shangri-La would propose a future "weekend special" of soup dumplings
that all could enjoy and coordinate get togethers including the test
panel family/friends.

After discussing this with non-CH friends I find a very positive
latent - I would give that a go - undertone.

So, I look forward to comments on the concept. Based on feedback I
will propose a Saturday 6pm date in the near future that works for
Shangril-La Midtown. The first 8 (including me plus a guest for 10)
will get the invite with two requirements. 1 - it's dutch treat and we
will have a 20% gratuity on food and alcohol is on your own tab 2- you
must write a review on CH and copy it to the Google group ( to see
group and moderator reactions). I will discuss budget matters with a
few of the most vocal members before publishing the deal. Hard to
coordinate 10 budgets but how expensive can dumplings be?

From that we will decide how to open the discussion to the larger
group for a future date.

I'm thinking to launch the discussion to finalize the details on on
this google group at the start of the new year (Chinese that is on 3
Feb)!
> > > Cheers,  VTB- Hide quoted text -

erin

Feb 1, 2011, 5:43:13 PM2/1/11
to Detroit Chow
I'm here, I'm here, I'm in, I'm in.

On Jan 29, 4:56 pm, VTB <xzn...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Just thought I'd get this exploratory discussion started. (re:http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/753201).  I already emailed Oppsie

mari...@netzero.net

Feb 1, 2011, 5:46:33 PM2/1/11
to detro...@googlegroups.com
Include me in.

Maria Hornburg

JanPrimus

Feb 1, 2011, 5:51:39 PM2/1/11
to Detroit Chow
I'm in.....

goatgolfer

Feb 1, 2011, 5:58:40 PM2/1/11
to Detroit Chow
JP: How many would be in your group? Paul

On Feb 1, 5:51 pm, JanPrimus <janpri...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm in.....

goatgolfer

Feb 1, 2011, 6:00:33 PM2/1/11
to Detroit Chow
Maria: Hello- What would be your CH name and how many would be in your
party? Paul

On Feb 1, 5:46 pm, "marisk...@netzero.net" <marisk...@netzero.net>

janelle

Feb 1, 2011, 6:22:23 PM2/1/11
to Detroit Chow
Thanks, goatgolfer, for getting the ball rolling! I am so in, unless
it's Feb 26, when I'll be out of town. But otherwise, my early
Saturday evenings are generally free.

I think the two-pronged approach is very logical. It seems the chef
understands that we're an adventurous bunch who want to try the "real
deal", or the things that aren't necessarily on the regular menu.

Price-wise, your approach is perfectly understandable. I think we all
expect to pay for our own, and I'd expect to pay more than the average
Shangri-La meal runs, since they're doing something special for us,
y'know. So long as they take plastic! ;-)

-jjspw

Erin Walker

Feb 1, 2011, 6:33:24 PM2/1/11
to detro...@googlegroups.com
Agree.

Btw, it'll just be me, I'll leave the DH at home so there's room for more chowhounders. He can wait.

Also...baseball sized??? Wow. Never seem them the size of a baseball. My mind can't even comprehend this. I mean, you'd need a humongous spoon. Just sayin.

VTB

Feb 1, 2011, 7:27:17 PM2/1/11
to Detroit Chow
I'm down with any day (except Valentine's Saturday the 12th, as I am a
romantic), and any rules or price ranges are perfectly fine with me.
Count me as an ALTERNATE for the Test Day (which seems to be
overflowing, already), in the event someone flakes out.
Then, please count me in for the subsequent event. Plan for me to
come solo, and then if you need to fill extra seats, I'll procure
additional bodies.
Thanks Paul.
Regards,
Vince (VTB)

goatgolfer

Feb 1, 2011, 8:04:43 PM2/1/11
to Detroit Chow
Normally done with a straw of all things.

Anyway: very gracious of all. Results will appear. Paul
> >     Unsubscribe:  detroitchow...@googlegroups.com<detroitchow%2Bunsubscribe@googlegr­oups.com>
> > For more options, visit the group at:
> >http://groups.google.com/group/detroitchow?hl=en

goatgolfer

Feb 1, 2011, 8:09:46 PM2/1/11
to Detroit Chow
12th as V-day for Romantics fans noted. All other music fans will be
advised. (are they still a band >)))

Thanks to CH friends for not pointing that out.,

JanPrimus

Feb 1, 2011, 8:56:21 PM2/1/11
to Detroit Chow
I am just myself.....unless VTB or Janelle wants to be my date.

boagman

Feb 1, 2011, 9:33:17 PM2/1/11
to Detroit Chow
Whoa! Looks like I'm a little late to the party...if I can be
included, that's fine, but if there isn't room (and I might have a +1
to consider, too...), I totally understand.

Give me a head's up!

Aron

On Jan 29, 4:56 pm, VTB <xzn...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Just thought I'd get this exploratory discussion started. (re:http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/753201).  I already emailed Oppsie

goatgolfer

Feb 1, 2011, 10:15:36 PM2/1/11
to Detroit Chow
With a great ( and surprisingly) early response I will announce at
17h00 on Wednesday so keep replying. Formula for response will be
based on the Archimedes principal. Best regards, Paul

VTB

Feb 1, 2011, 11:48:50 PM2/1/11
to Detroit Chow
Back off MY man(!), jjspw...

mari...@netzero.net

Feb 2, 2011, 8:26:06 AM2/2/11
to detro...@googlegroups.com

My CH name is Mariskany and I will be alone.

Maria Hornburg

MarkCron

Feb 2, 2011, 10:30:00 AM2/2/11
to Detroit Chow
My name is Mark. MarkCron on CH.
I would like to participate in the Saturday test run - it will just be
me.
Thanks goat/Paul!!

Erin Walker

Feb 2, 2011, 10:38:37 AM2/2/11
to detro...@googlegroups.com
Oh yes -- oppsie on ch.

> --

Sent from my mobile device

goatgolfer

Feb 2, 2011, 4:00:45 PM2/2/11
to Detroit Chow
Please keep your agenda open. I will inquire if 13 is a bad number in
Chinese ( for me it's fine). We can decide upon RSVPs and your
flexibility is appreciated. Paul