Demon fubared

Roy Brown

Dec 25, 2007, 3:33:51 PM12/25/07
No incoming email, unable to finger status.

Ho hum.....
--
Roy Brown 'Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be
Kelmscott Ltd useful, or believe to be beautiful' William Morris

Kate Brown

Dec 25, 2007, 4:14:57 PM12/25/07
On Tue, 25 Dec 2007, you wrote

>No incoming email, unable to finger status.
>
>Ho hum.....

Last collection success was at 19.46. Poo. Have several far-flung
correspondents I was expecting to hear from or greet.

--
Kate B

London

L...@holywell.demon.co.uk

Dec 25, 2007, 4:19:24 PM12/25/07

Nothing incoming here, mail or news. I've just had to sign up to
Google
groups to find out what's going on. The 0800 number says all ok as
does
the status page.

Can't access my home site by browser or FTP.

Les

Soruk

Dec 25, 2007, 4:27:42 PM12/25/07
On Tue, 25 Dec 2007 20:33:51 +0000, Roy Brown <r...@kelmscott.co.uk> wrote:
>No incoming email, unable to finger status.

*.demon.co.uk isn't resolving on DNS. Other zones are OK.

John Hall

Dec 25, 2007, 4:38:34 PM12/25/07
In article <ZHwYdpAv...@Kelmscott.co.uk>,

Roy Brown <r...@kelmscott.co.uk> writes:
>No incoming email, unable to finger status.
>
>Ho hum.....

Yes, DNS look-up and connectivity seem to be the only things that are
working. Oh yes, and the time server. Everything else gives "Winsock
ERROR : Valid name, no data record for type". I imagine that late on
Christmas Day is not the best time for a problem to get swift attention.
--
John Hall
"Honest criticism is hard to take,

Les Desser

Dec 25, 2007, 4:49:38 PM12/25/07
In article <slrnfn2tef...@zeskia.int.eridani.co.uk>, Soruk
<so...@bitbucket.eridani.co.uk> Tue, 25 Dec 2007 21:27:42 writes

>On Tue, 25 Dec 2007 20:33:51 +0000, Roy Brown <r...@kelmscott.co.uk> wrote:
>>No incoming email, unable to finger status.
>
>*.demon.co.uk isn't resolving on DNS. Other zones are OK.

Some are and some are not.

My own domain has gone. Ditto with some of my clients but not all.

Two sites within a few hundred yards - one is OK and one is not.

Demon Status - 9:47 pm - DNS server problems.

Email collection here seems OK - at least not failing.
--
Les Desser
(The Reply-to address IS valid)

Jeff Gaines

Dec 25, 2007, 6:09:05 PM12/25/07
On 25/12/2007 in message <ZHwYdpAv...@Kelmscott.co.uk> Roy Brown wrote:

>No incoming email, unable to finger status.
>
>Ho hum.....

I'm getting Socket Error # 11004 on POP mail collection, and no mail.

--
Jeff Gaines Damerham Hampshire UK
Tell me what you need, and I'll tell you how to get along without it.

JR.St...@physics.org

Dec 25, 2007, 6:42:38 PM12/25/07
On Dec 25, 8:33 pm, Roy Brown <r...@kelmscott.co.uk> wrote:
> No incoming email, unable to finger status.

Cannot get past WebMail login; cannot finger mer...@post.demon.co.uk.

Cannot access Home Page, cannot see Manage Web space or Web space
stats pages.

Was OK at noon.

###

<http://www.demon.net/helpdesk/webutil/webmail.shtml> refers to
"Demon's new webmail". With no date on the page, that's like
referring to the New Forest. The login screen shown is also non-
current.

__
JRS

Darren Salt

Dec 25, 2007, 6:25:05 PM12/25/07
I demand that Roy Brown may or may not have written...

> No incoming email, unable to finger status.

pop3.mail.demon.net seems to be working, but with no DNS, MX lookups will
fail. So, as you say, no incoming mail.

This DNS outage also kills ssh where you either don't want a password prompt
or you don't remember or have a record of the password. I happen to have need
of ssh... :-\

OTOH, this means no spam ;-)

--
| Darren Salt | d @ youmustbejoking,demon,co,uk | nr. Ashington, | Toon
| RISC OS, Linux | s zap,tartarus,org | Northumberland | Army
| + Buy less and make it last longer. INDUSTRY CAUSES GLOBAL WARMING.

Exam is a four-letter word for torture...

Helen E Stephenson

Dec 25, 2007, 7:49:32 PM12/25/07
On Dec 25, 8:33 pm, Roy Brown <r...@kelmscott.co.uk> wrote:
> No incoming email, unable to finger status.

Nothing here either, and it's now not Christmas Day any longer.

I've got a birthday email to send out and by the time I get up
tomorrow, it will be too late.

I think I'm going to have to sign up to hotmail...

Helen

helen at baronmoss.demon.co.uk
http://www.wuronga.me.uk
http://blog.360.yahoo.com/helenedithuk

Jim Crowther

Dec 25, 2007, 8:45:03 PM12/25/07
In demon.service, on Tue, 25 Dec 2007 16:49:32, Helen E Stephenson
wrote:

>On Dec 25, 8:33 pm, Roy Brown <r...@kelmscott.co.uk> wrote:
>> No incoming email, unable to finger status.
>
>Nothing here either, and it's now not Christmas Day any longer.
>
>I've got a birthday email to send out and by the time I get up
>tomorrow, it will be too late.
>
>I think I'm going to have to sign up to hotmail...

Just for reference, *.demon.co.uk domains are not resolvable from
outside either. Nor does demon.co.uk itself.

So glad I side-slipped this one, seems rather fundamental.

--
Jim Crowther

Soruk

Dec 25, 2007, 9:05:09 PM12/25/07
On Tue, 25 Dec 2007 15:42:38 -0800 (PST), JR.St...@physics.org <JR.St...@physics.org> wrote:
>On Dec 25, 8:33 pm, Roy Brown <r...@kelmscott.co.uk> wrote:
>> No incoming email, unable to finger status.
>
>Cannot get past WebMail login; cannot finger mer...@post.demon.co.uk.

Try fingering @post.mail.demon.net - demon.co.uk appears to be borked,
while demon.net is working.

David Bolt

Dec 25, 2007, 11:21:49 PM12/25/07
On Wed, 26 Dec 2007, Soruk wrote:-

>On Tue, 25 Dec 2007 15:42:38 -0800 (PST), JR.St...@physics.org
><JR.St...@physics.org> wrote:
>>On Dec 25, 8:33 pm, Roy Brown <r...@kelmscott.co.uk> wrote:
>>> No incoming email, unable to finger status.
>>
>>Cannot get past WebMail login; cannot finger mer...@post.demon.co.uk.
>
>Try fingering @post.mail.demon.net - demon.co.uk appears to be borked,
>while demon.net is working.

ns0.demon.co.uk doesn't know about demon.co.uk[0], while the machine
ns1.demon.co.uk appears to be up and running, the DNS server there
isn't, and ns2.demon.net is still dead. AFAIK, the caches
cache-1.ns.demon.net and cache-2.ns.demon.net get the demon.co.uk and
demon.net addresses from the authoritative servers, namely ns0, ns1 and
ns2, and so they don't know the addresses either.

[0] when it isn't timing out, it returns no answer when asked for the
SOA for demon.co.uk . The caches return a response virtually instantly,
but also return no SOA for demon.co.uk .

Regards,
David Bolt

--
Team Acorn: http://www.distributed.net/ OGR-P2 @ ~100Mnodes RC5-72 @ ~15Mkeys
| SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit | openSUSE 10.3 32bit
SUSE 10.0 64bit | SUSE 10.1 64bit | openSUSE 10.2 64bit |
RISC OS 3.11 | RISC OS 3.6 | TOS 4.02 | openSUSE 10.3 PPC

Les Desser

Dec 26, 2007, 5:02:10 AM12/26/07
In article <5oqTzLHf...@nospam.at.my.choice.of.UID.invalid>, Jim
Crowther <Don't_bo...@blackhole.do-not-spam.me.uk> Wed, 26 Dec 2007
01:45:03 writes

>Just for reference, *.demon.co.uk domains are not resolvable from
>outside either. Nor does demon.co.uk itself.

What do you mean by outside.

I can't get to Demon domains from within the network either.

Les Desser

Dec 26, 2007, 5:01:30 AM12/26/07
In article <GZSDNEId...@dev.null.davjam.org>, David Bolt
<blackl...@davjam.org> Wed, 26 Dec 2007 04:21:49 writes

>ns0.demon.co.uk doesn't know about demon.co.uk[0], while the machine
>ns1.demon.co.uk appears to be up and running, the DNS server there
>isn't, and ns2.demon.net is still dead. AFAIK, the caches
>cache-1.ns.demon.net and cache-2.ns.demon.net get the demon.co.uk and
>demon.net addresses from the authoritative servers, namely ns0, ns1 and
>ns2, and so they don't know the addresses either.

I don't know much about these things, but isn't the idea of having two
or more name servers, preferably at different locations, just so that
what is now happening does not happen?

JR.St...@physics.org

Dec 26, 2007, 5:23:28 AM12/26/07
On Dec 26, 2:05 am, so...@bitbucket.eridani.co.uk (Soruk) wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Dec 2007 15:42:38 -0800 (PST), JR.Stock...@physics.org <JR.Stock...@physics.org> wrote:
> >On Dec 25, 8:33 pm, Roy Brown <r...@kelmscott.co.uk> wrote:
> >> No incoming email, unable to finger status.
>
> >Cannot get past WebMail login; cannot finger mer...@post.demon.co.uk.
>
> Try fingering @post.mail.demon.net - demon.co.uk appears to be borked,
> while demon.net is working.

That worked first time, a few minites ago. But only first time, not
subsequently.

Also cannot FTP or HTTP homepages, unsurprisingly in view of other
posts here.

--
JRS

Helen E Stephenson

Dec 26, 2007, 6:33:27 AM12/26/07
Now I can't even get http://www.demon.net/ - much less get to the
network status page. (I couldn't get to that last night, but could at
least get into www.demon.net - I wonder whether Demon's phone lines
are jammed with disgruntled users or whether everyone is waiting for
someone else to report this...

Helen

Jeff Gaines

Dec 26, 2007, 6:56:58 AM12/26/07
On 26/12/2007 in message <l6cmoMWi...@dessergr0up.invalid> Les Desser
wrote:

>What do you mean by outside.
>
>I can't get to Demon domains from within the network either.

I guess we can be re-assured by the thought that Demon's procedures are
such that they will be aware of the problem and have a team working on it,
or can we?

Anybody know the home number of the Chairman of Thus, perhaps he needs a
call.

--
Jeff Gaines Damerham Hampshire UK

All those who believe in psychokinesis raise my hand.

Message has been deleted

The Party Girl

Dec 26, 2007, 7:10:34 AM12/26/07
On 26 Dec, 11:56, "Jeff Gaines" <jgaines_new...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> On 26/12/2007 in message <l6cmoMWiaicHF...@dessergr0up.invalid> Les Desser
> wrote:

SNIP

> Anybody know the home number of the Chairman of Thus, perhaps he needs a
> call.

I thought about that too, but guess what? none of the links to Thus
worked!

Hate to speak too soon, but as of five minutes ago I could get to my
webpages AND download emails via POP3.

-- The PG --

Darren Salt

Dec 26, 2007, 7:05:32 AM12/26/07
I demand that JR.St...@physics.org may or may not have written...

[snip]

> Also cannot FTP or HTTP homepages, unsurprisingly in view of other
> posts here.

*.demonweb.co.uk is resolvable; you can use this for both FTP and HTTP. (Note
no "www." prefix.)

--
| Darren Salt | d @ youmustbejoking,demon,co,uk | nr. Ashington, | Toon
| RISC OS, Linux | s zap,tartarus,org | Northumberland | Army

| + Buy local produce. Try to walk or cycle. TRANSPORT CAUSES GLOBAL WARMING.

"Mate, this parrot wouldn't VOOM if you put four million volts through it!"

Clifford Frisby

Dec 26, 2007, 7:34:15 AM12/26/07
Jim Crowther wrote:

<snip>

> Just for reference, *.demon.co.uk domains are not resolvable from
> outside either. Nor does demon.co.uk itself.

<snip>

I think that's useful to know. Presumably it explains why, even though
things now appear to be working again (after 16 hours), there is not a
single email queued for collection.

Alan Woodford

Dec 26, 2007, 7:24:48 AM12/26/07

And the first news I managed to dowload from Demon was the MI(4+1)
nutter.

Looks like normal service is starting to resume!

Alan Woodford
The Greying Lensman

Peter Ceresole

Dec 26, 2007, 7:37:35 AM12/26/07
Alan Woodford <al...@bortas.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> And the first news I managed to dowload from Demon was the MI(4+1)
> nutter.

Yup. The MC follies seem to have restarted.

> Looks like normal service is starting to resume!

Indeedy. And I'm so glad; I got an urgent message from Natwest Banking
about action I must absolutely take to ensure the security of my online
banking. What might have happened if I hadn't received that, I hate to
think.
--
Peter

Andrew W Young

Dec 26, 2007, 7:25:28 AM12/26/07

If anyone can't find it the number without access to www.demon.net the
status line number is 0800 027 0384 and currently says:

"There is a problem with the Demon name servers. This means
that DNS is not being served and will affect customers' ability
to send and receive e-mail, browse the Internet and possibly
access some other external sites and services. Last updated
Weds Dec 26, 11:47am."

--
Andrew W. Young new...@andrew-young.com
http://www.andrew-young.com/

Message has been deleted

Ian Dalgleish

Dec 26, 2007, 8:06:02 AM12/26/07

> I think that's useful to know. Presumably it explains why, even though
> things now appear to be working again (after 16 hours), there is not a
> single email queued for collection.

I can now access this newsgroup (obviously!), FTP and email. I cannot
download my websites.

Ian.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Edward Cowling London UK

Dec 26, 2007, 9:24:47 AM12/26/07
In message <fktjk6$47t$4...@anubis.demon.co.uk>, Huge
<Hu...@nowhere.much.invalid> writes
>On 2007-12-26, Steve Wolstenholme <st...@tropheus.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>> On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 12:24:48 +0000, Alan Woodford
>><al...@bortas.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>>And the first news I managed to dowload from Demon was the MI(4+1)
>>>nutter.
>>
>> I had to add another filter to get rid his minor changes to MI5. It's
>> interesting to see his efforts to post but I've never actually read
>> any.
>
>Don't bother. Unless you have a particular interest in clinical psychiatry.
>Mike's a classical paranoid schizophrenic.

Yes but he manages to operate so well in the Internet. That means a job
of some kind, money to pay all the umpteen news feeds, decent and well
maintained hardware. For a nutter he seems very well set up.

My own personal theory is that in a few years he'll write a best selling
book "My days as the MI5 nutter", become miraculously cured, appear on
all the chat shows, marry a blonde nympho from Big Brother, and retire
to an Island in the Caribbean to live happily ever after :-)

--
Edward Cowling "Must go - To Meet Moriarty At The Falls !!"

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Edward Cowling London UK

Dec 26, 2007, 10:21:15 AM12/26/07
In message <fktpfm$5pt$3...@anubis.demon.co.uk>, Huge
<Hu...@nowhere.much.invalid> writes
>into his paranoid fantasies) I'd be quite sympathetic. As it is, I'm trying to
>encourage him to kill himself.

Hmm, I must introduce you to my ex wife ;-)

Nicholas D. Richards

Dec 26, 2007, 11:22:58 AM12/26/07
In article <1i9qaty.6p5e9vxxcoqbN%pe...@cara.demon.co.uk>, Peter
Ceresole <pe...@cara.demon.co.uk> writes

I received an urgent message from a Latin babe who takes fat cock.
Unfortunately we ate ours yesterday, with all the trimmings; so she will
be going hungry.

--
Nicholas David Richards -

"Oů sont les neiges d'antan?"

Nicholas D. Richards

Dec 26, 2007, 3:58:43 PM12/26/07
In article <261220071306024070%i...@methyl.demon.co.uk>, Ian Dalgleish
<i...@methyl.demon.co.uk> writes

It would appear that everything is back to normal. The telephone
service status reports that the DNS server problem is resolved.

There has been(is) no reference to the problem in the Web or finger
status report.

Andy Taylor

Dec 26, 2007, 4:57:54 PM12/26/07
"Roy Brown" <r...@kelmscott.co.uk> wrote in message

> No incoming email, unable to finger status.
>
> Ho hum.....
> --
> Roy Brown 'Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be
> Kelmscott Ltd useful, or believe to be beautiful' William Morris

Ive had enough of the downtime recently, so im going to call Demon tomorrow
and ask for my MAC number...

Message has been deleted

Soruk

Dec 27, 2007, 4:19:11 AM12/27/07

This is the first bit of downtime that's affected me in about a year or
so. I'm not too worried.

Gandalf Garnett

Dec 27, 2007, 4:36:23 AM12/27/07
On Dec 26, 10:01 am, Les Desser <NewsDu...@dessergroup.com> wrote:
> In article <GZSDNEIdbdcHF...@dev.null.davjam.org>, David Bolt
> <blacklist...@davjam.org> Wed, 26 Dec 2007 04:21:49 writes

I have been using OpenDNS DNS servers for a year now and can report no
loss in service this Xmas. rom their website:-
Free yourself of DNS-related Internet outages with our zero-downtime
global network. Eliminate DNS as a problem source on your network.

<http://www.opendns.com/>

JJ

Gandalf Garnett

Dec 27, 2007, 4:37:13 AM12/27/07
On Dec 26, 10:01 am, Les Desser <NewsDu...@dessergroup.com> wrote:
> In article <GZSDNEIdbdcHF...@dev.null.davjam.org>, David Bolt
> <blacklist...@davjam.org> Wed, 26 Dec 2007 04:21:49 writes

I have been using OpenDNS DNS servers for a year now and can report no

Brian Howie

Dec 27, 2007, 5:17:50 AM12/27/07
In message <ZHwYdpAv...@Kelmscott.co.uk>, Roy Brown
<r...@kelmscott.co.uk> writes

>No incoming email, unable to finger status.
>
>Ho hum.....

Was it down again this morning at about 7am ? I was getting DNS errors
and gradually everything ground to a halt. However I had to re-boot my
router before it all started working again.

Brian
--
Brian Howie

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

David Bolt

Dec 27, 2007, 9:28:32 AM12/27/07
On Wed, 26 Dec 2007, Les Desser wrote:-

<snip>

>I don't know much about these things, but isn't the idea of having two
>or more name servers, preferably at different locations, just so that
>what is now happening does not happen?

To the best of my (very) limited knowledge, it's not so much to prevent
what just happened, but more to prevent there being a single point of
failure especially in the case where the network isn't multi-homed[0].

Using Demon as the example, if there was a routeing problem that took
158.152.0.0/16 out of the routeing tables for some inexplicable reason,
ns2.demon.net (209.246.126.109) should take up the slack until the
routeing was fixed. As it is, because ns2 is unavailable, if this
happens there would be no response from ns2. In effect, all requests for
Demon domains would receive a SERVFAIL error and demon.co.uk addresses
would appear not to exist.

As for the last fsckup, it wouldn't have made the slightest difference
if ns2 had been up and running, unless it retained its own a copy of the
demon.co.uk zone file.

[0] Multi-homed meaning there's more than one peering partner and so a
failure of one link won't completely isolate a network.

Regards,
David Bolt

--
Team Acorn: http://www.distributed.net/ OGR-P2 @ ~100Mnodes RC5-72 @ ~15Mkeys
| SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit | openSUSE 10.3 32bit
SUSE 10.0 64bit | SUSE 10.1 64bit | openSUSE 10.2 64bit |
RISC OS 3.11 | RISC OS 3.6 | TOS 4.02 | openSUSE 10.3 PPC

Peter Ceresole

Dec 27, 2007, 11:13:36 AM12/27/07
Malcolm <Mal...@indaal.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> >Was it down again this morning at about 7am ? I was getting DNS errors
> >and gradually everything ground to a halt. However I had to re-boot my
> >router before it all started working again.
> >

> Not here. It was working fine from about 6.30 am onwards and still is.

Yup. Same here.
--
Peter

Message has been deleted

Chris H

Dec 28, 2007, 12:06:46 PM12/28/07
In message <MPG.21dcec318...@127.0.0.1>, Neil Barker
<ne...@nemesis.nu> writes
>In article <cY6RkCSH...@indaal.demon.co.uk>,
>Mal...@indaal.demon.co.uk says...
>
>> There are approximately 250 schizophrenics/100,000 of the population.
>> They are not all "nutters", as you so disparagingly call them,
>> especially with the considerable progress in developing anti-psychotic
>> drugs in the last few years. A great many are fully capable of holding
>> down jobs and earning good money or are supported by relatives or by the
>> state.
>
>Maybe, but Mike Corley's still a grade A nutter....

Maybe.... I know some one else with similar problems. Also a very
competent programmer. In his case it is paranoia
/\/\/ ch...@phaedsys.org www.phaedsys.org \/\/\

Les Desser

Dec 29, 2007, 2:17:19 PM12/29/07
In article
<908d7847-1886-4845...@f53g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>,
Gandalf Garnett <jason.ha...@googlemail.com> Thu, 27 Dec 2007
01:36:23 writes

>I have been using OpenDNS DNS servers for a year now and can report no
>loss in service this Xmas. rom their website:- Free yourself of
>DNS-related Internet outages with our zero-downtime global network.
>Eliminate DNS as a problem source on your network.
>
><http://www.opendns.com/>

Are you saying that the Demon DNS outage did not stop you accessing the
Demon address space?

Do not other DNS servers eventually need the Demon name servers to be
able to work?

Les Desser

Dec 29, 2007, 2:15:48 PM12/29/07
In article <plhIy8iQ...@dev.null.davjam.org>, David Bolt
<blackl...@davjam.org> Thu, 27 Dec 2007 14:28:32 writes

>To the best of my (very) limited knowledge, it's not so much to prevent
>what just happened,

What actually **did** happen?

I just assumed that "DNS not working" would not have been a problem had
there been some redundancy.

Soruk

Dec 29, 2007, 3:03:51 PM12/29/07

For me, the Demon DNS servers continued to resolve names that weren't part
of the demon.co.uk namespace (and my folks' Metronet connection wasn't
able to resolve demon.co.uk names either), so OpenDNS wouldn't have been
any help to me on this outage.

Soruk

Dec 29, 2007, 3:05:08 PM12/29/07
On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 19:15:48 +0000, Les Desser <News...@dessergroup.com> wrote:
>In article <plhIy8iQ...@dev.null.davjam.org>, David Bolt
><blackl...@davjam.org> Thu, 27 Dec 2007 14:28:32 writes
>
>>To the best of my (very) limited knowledge, it's not so much to prevent
>>what just happened,
>
>What actually **did** happen?
>
>I just assumed that "DNS not working" would not have been a problem had
>there been some redundancy.

DNS itself was still working. What appears to have happened is that the
Demon nameservers managed to forget about demon.co.uk and be sometimes
flaky with demon.net (as seen in www.demon.net taking a while to resolve
before loading, and sometimes failing to resolve at all).

Wm...

Dec 29, 2007, 4:50:16 PM12/29/07
Sat, 29 Dec 2007 19:15:48 <8UMAjMBk...@dessergr0up.invalid>
demon.service Les Desser <News...@dessergroup.com>

>In article <plhIy8iQ...@dev.null.davjam.org>, David Bolt
><blackl...@davjam.org> Thu, 27 Dec 2007 14:28:32 writes
>
>>To the best of my (very) limited knowledge, it's not so much to
>>prevent what just happened,
>
>What actually **did** happen?
>
>I just assumed that "DNS not working" would not have been a problem had
>there been some redundancy.

Think of it as demon no longer waving its hands and saying "I am here"
to the rest of the world for a while because something unexpected
happened.

--
Wm...

Nicholas D. Richards

Dec 29, 2007, 7:50:52 PM12/29/07
In article <slrnfnda3k...@zeskia.int.eridani.co.uk>, Soruk
<so...@bitbucket.eridani.co.uk> writes

>On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 19:15:48 +0000, Les Desser <News...@dessergroup.com>
>wrote:
>>In article <plhIy8iQ...@dev.null.davjam.org>, David Bolt
>><blackl...@davjam.org> Thu, 27 Dec 2007 14:28:32 writes
>>
>>>To the best of my (very) limited knowledge, it's not so much to prevent
>>>what just happened,
>>
>>What actually **did** happen?
>>
>>I just assumed that "DNS not working" would not have been a problem had
>>there been some redundancy.
>
>DNS itself was still working. What appears to have happened is that the
>Demon nameservers managed to forget about demon.co.uk and be sometimes
>flaky with demon.net (as seen in www.demon.net taking a while to resolve
>before loading, and sometimes failing to resolve at all).

I also stopped receiving e-mail on my non-NAT Demon broadband account.
This is received by SMTP only. The address is of the form 'at
company_name dot co dot uk'.

This part of the loss of service was not much missed, now normal service
is resumed I have received 5,100 e-mails in the last 11 hours and 49
minutes, all except 27 of them were addressed to non-existent
recipients.

Soruk

Dec 30, 2007, 4:16:19 AM12/30/07
On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 00:50:52 +0000, Nicholas D. Richards <nich...@salmiron.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>In article <slrnfnda3k...@zeskia.int.eridani.co.uk>, Soruk
><so...@bitbucket.eridani.co.uk> writes
>>On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 19:15:48 +0000, Les Desser <News...@dessergroup.com>
>>wrote:
>>>In article <plhIy8iQ...@dev.null.davjam.org>, David Bolt
>>><blackl...@davjam.org> Thu, 27 Dec 2007 14:28:32 writes

>>>What actually **did** happen?
>>>
>>>I just assumed that "DNS not working" would not have been a problem had
>>>there been some redundancy.
>>
>>DNS itself was still working. What appears to have happened is that the
>>Demon nameservers managed to forget about demon.co.uk and be sometimes
>>flaky with demon.net (as seen in www.demon.net taking a while to resolve
>>before loading, and sometimes failing to resolve at all).
>>

>I also stopped receiving e-mail on my non-NAT Demon broadband account.
>This is received by SMTP only. The address is of the form 'at
>company_name dot co dot uk'.

Is your MX record pointing to a .demon.co.uk hostname? If so that would
explain it.

>This part of the loss of service was not much missed, now normal service
>is resumed I have received 5,100 e-mails in the last 11 hours and 49
>minutes, all except 27 of them were addressed to non-existent
>recipients.

Nothing unusual there...

Nicholas D. Richards

Dec 30, 2007, 7:08:43 AM12/30/07
In article <slrnfneof2...@zeskia.int.eridani.co.uk>, Soruk
<so...@bitbucket.eridani.co.uk> writes

>On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 00:50:52 +0000, Nicholas D. Richards <nich...@salmiron.demo
>n.co.uk> wrote:
>>In article <slrnfnda3k...@zeskia.int.eridani.co.uk>, Soruk
>><so...@bitbucket.eridani.co.uk> writes

>>>DNS itself was still working. What appears to have happened is that the
>>>Demon nameservers managed to forget about demon.co.uk and be sometimes
>>>flaky with demon.net (as seen in www.demon.net taking a while to resolve
>>>before loading, and sometimes failing to resolve at all).
>>>

>>I also stopped receiving e-mail on my non-NAT Demon broadband account.
>>This is received by SMTP only. The address is of the form 'at
>>company_name dot co dot uk'.
>
>Is your MX record pointing to a .demon.co.uk hostname? If so that would
>explain it.

According to the Demon query tool the MX record shows

company_name.co.uk mail is handled by 50 mailgate.company_name.co.uk.

company_name.co.uk mail is handled by 100 relay-1.mail.demon.net.

company_name.co.uk mail is handled by 100 relay-2.mail.demon.net.

I do not fully understand (far from it) these aspects of the internet,
however as I understand it, the relay is only used if my own SMTP (I use
Turnpike for this function) server is down.

Querying mailgate.company_name.co.uk returns

mailgate.company_name.co.uk has address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

/opt/THUSbind9/bin/host -v -t any mailgate.company_name.co.uk.
Similar to the previous command but the "-v" makes the result Verbose.

Trying "mailgate.company_name.co.uk"

;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL:
0

;; QUESTION SECTION:

;mailgate.company_name.co.uk. IN ANY

;; ANSWER SECTION:

mailgate.company_name.co.uk. 6674 IN A xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

Received 57 bytes from 158.152.1.43#53 in 1 ms

>>This part of the loss of service was not much missed, now normal service
>>is resumed I have received 5,100 e-mails in the last 11 hours and 49
>>minutes, all except 27 of them were addressed to non-existent
>>recipients.
>
>Nothing unusual there...

I did not think there was! It is such a pain in the arse.

If the rate of arrival becomes too great, first of all the incoming mail
does not seem to close properly, and eventually Turnpike Connect stops
receiving mail.

I assume that the rate of arrival is the problem, it could of course be
malformed e-mail or problems with the sending server.

Then I have to close the Turnpike Connectoid and restart it.

These means that if I am away I stop receiving e-mail on the Broadband
account. I tell all my correspondents to use my TAM account e-mail
address, which has the advantage of Demon's anti-spam processing.

c...@nospam.netunix.com

Dec 30, 2007, 7:30:01 AM12/30/07
Nicholas D. Richards <nich...@salmiron.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> According to the Demon query tool the MX record shows
> company_name.co.uk mail is handled by 50 mailgate.company_name.co.uk.
> company_name.co.uk mail is handled by 100 relay-1.mail.demon.net.
> company_name.co.uk mail is handled by 100 relay-2.mail.demon.net.

Hmmmm - spamming software deliberately uses the least preferred relay
because fallback relays are less likely to be despammed, for example
they cannot tell if an address is valid.

So you would have been deprived of spam during the outage but mail from
properly configured hosts would have been delivered correctly to your
mailgate if it was up and accepting connections. This is what happened
for me.

OTOH something daft may be involved, have you set up a firewall or rule
to only accept mail from Demon's relays ?.

Nicholas D. Richards

Dec 30, 2007, 7:52:45 AM12/30/07
In article <fl8309$hdq$1$8302...@news.demon.co.uk>,
c...@NOSPAM.netunix.com writes

The only rule I have set up is to reject mail not addressed to valid
recipients (easily done within Turnpike). These show up as rejects in
the Turnpike Connectoid.