Listen...

1 view

Mandy Wright

Sep 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/4/97

All I can hear is the dripping of the kitchen tap and my PC's fan.

There's no fighting, no arguing, no crying, no asking for snacks, no
extra people in the house, no worrying about neighbours coming to
grumble....

The children went back to school this morning!!! I feel like throwing a
party.. jelly and ice cream anyone?
--
Mandy http://www.the-symposium.demon.co.uk/

Jim

Sep 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/4/97

In article <oq$aZJBXj...@the-symposium.demon.co.uk>
Ma...@the-symposium.demon.co.uk "Mandy Wright" writes:

> All I can hear is the dripping of the kitchen tap and my PC's fan.
>
> There's no fighting, no arguing, no crying, no asking for snacks, no
> extra people in the house, no worrying about neighbours coming to
> grumble....
>
> The children went back to school this morning!!! I feel like throwing a
> party.. jelly and ice cream anyone?

Yeah! Tell me about it. The road networks are yet again totally screwed
with all the neurotic mothers dropping off their little luvs.

Roll on half term.

--
Jim.

Vivianne

Sep 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/4/97

In article <oq$aZJBXj...@the-symposium.demon.co.uk>, Mandy Wright
<Ma...@the-symposium.demon.co.uk> wibbled ........

>All I can hear is the dripping of the kitchen tap and my PC's fan.
>
>There's no fighting, no arguing, no crying, no asking for snacks, no
>extra people in the house, no worrying about neighbours coming to
>grumble....
>
>The children went back to school this morning!!! I feel like throwing a
>party.. jelly and ice cream anyone?

Can I have chocolate cornflake cakes please miss?

--
"I will stand in the tide of a crowded street and catch your echo"

Phil

Sep 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/4/97

In article <oq$aZJBXj...@the-symposium.demon.co.uk>, Mandy Wright
<Ma...@the-symposium.demon.co.uk> writes

>All I can hear is the dripping of the kitchen tap and my PC's fan.
>

>The children went back to school this morning!!! I feel like throwing a
>party.. jelly and ice cream anyone?

Yeah I'll have some. BTW, where are you sitting/standing in relation to
your kitchen and PC?, or is your PC in the kitchen? or have you got a
loud dripping tap, or have you got a loud PC fan. <King & I mode on>
etcetera, etcetera, etcetera. <King & I mode off>
--
Phil

Simon Hewison

Sep 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/5/97

In article <oq$aZJBXj...@the-symposium.demon.co.uk>, Mandy Wright wrote:
>All I can hear is the dripping of the kitchen tap and my PC's fan.

Most hardware stores will happily sell you a replacement washer, and it's
not unheard of to have solid state cooling systems (based around thermocouples)
to cool the CPU and power filters, which on a modern PC should be the only
things that need cooling.

It's an incredible experience to go into a room that is full of background
hum (for instance, a computer machine room), when everything has been
switched off. The silence would be unbearable were it for for a useful
walkman in the vinicinty.

Adam Lloyd

Sep 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/5/97

In article <3wG9PHAz...@the-symposium.demon.co.uk>,
Mandy Wright <Ma...@the-symposium.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> >> All I can hear is the dripping of the kitchen tap and my PC's fan.
> >

> >A word of advice: do ensure that the plug isn't in the sink, because you
> >don't want a flood.
> >
> The voice of experience?

The voice of caution. I _never_ make mistakes like that.

A.

John Hall

Sep 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/5/97

In article <vQJ73IAN...@the-symposium.demon.co.uk>,
Mandy Wright <Ma...@the-symposium.demon.co.uk> writes:
>In article <6N9aoXB1...@jhall.demon.co.uk>, John Hall
><ne...@jhall.demon.co.uk> writes
>>In article <oq$aZJBXj...@the-symposium.demon.co.uk>,

>> Mandy Wright <Ma...@the-symposium.demon.co.uk> writes:
>>>
>>>The children went back to school this morning!!! I feel like throwing a
>>>party.. jelly and ice cream anyone?
>>
>>Yes, please. But surely we aren't allowed jelly and ice-cream till we've
>>finished all the sandwiches?
>
>Noooo, that's the children's jelly and ice-cream parties, grown-up ones
>are different, there are no rules for one thing...

Sounds good. I must try this "grown up" thing sometime.
--
John Hall

"Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing."
Wernher von Braun

mk_in_mk

Sep 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/5/97
>>>The children went back to school this morning!!! I feel like throwing a
>>>party.. jelly and ice cream anyone?
>>
>>Yes, please. But surely we aren't allowed jelly and ice-cream till we've
>>finished all the sandwiches?
>
>Noooo, that's the children's jelly and ice-cream parties, grown-up ones
>are different, there are no rules for one thing...

May I ask which thing there are no rules for? Certain answers could make
for a *very* interesting party, which I will attend of course.
--
mk_in_mk

Alec Cawley

Sep 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/5/97

It was said by Simon Hewison that

>In article <oq$aZJBXj...@the-symposium.demon.co.uk>, Mandy Wright wrote:
>>All I can hear is the dripping of the kitchen tap and my PC's fan.
>
>Most hardware stores will happily sell you a replacement washer, and it's
>not unheard of to have solid state cooling systems (based around thermocouples)
>to cool the CPU and power filters, which on a modern PC should be the only
>things that need cooling.

Modern high-end disks (perhaps not the ones in a desktop PC, but
certainly the ones in servers) definitely need cooling. The disk drive
manufacturers are compaining about the assemble-a-custom-PC mob, who
assum that because they didn't need to cool a disk drive two years ago
don't have to now. Fast 4Gb Scsi disks of most brands *need* forced air
cooling to attain their specified MTBF, and the installation
isntructions say so. Unfortunately, the effect of running over temp is
to reduce MTBF from 25 years (i.e. 1 in 5 dies in the 5 years warranted
life span) to one or two years. But by the time it actually dies, the
backstreet place who bolted it together for you will have moved/gon
broke/changed name etc.

And the solid state cooling is extremely expensive and not vey efficient
- only for use if you really need it. Much better to buy a big case for
your PC and keep the air moving.

>It's an incredible experience to go into a room that is full of background
>hum (for instance, a computer machine room), when everything has been
>switched off. The silence would be unbearable were it for for a useful
>walkman in the vinicinty.

This happens at work every thursday at 10 am, when the fire alarms are
tested. Sounding the alarms also cuts the air conditioning, and it all
goes very quiet after the allarm stops for about 15 secs, before the big
fans cut in again.

Alec

Craig Oldfield

Sep 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/5/97

In article: <vQJ73IAN...@the-symposium.demon.co.uk> Mandy Wright
<Ma...@the-symposium.demon.co.uk> writes:

> Noooo, that's the children's jelly and ice-cream parties, grown-up ones
> are different,

No need for dishes.
--
Craig Oldfield

John Hall

Sep 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/5/97

In article <B$D5qCAlJ...@cawley.demon.co.uk>,

Alec Cawley <al...@cawley.demon.co.uk> writes:
>Modern high-end disks (perhaps not the ones in a desktop PC, but
>certainly the ones in servers) definitely need cooling.

Our PCs at work have exchangeable hard disks, and when you remove one
after several hours' use it's surprising how hot it is.

Alec Cawley

Sep 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/5/97

It was said by Neil Tungate that

>In article <873377...@yemeads.demon.co.uk>, Jim wrote:
>
>>Yeah! Tell me about it. The road networks are yet again totally screwed
>>with all the neurotic mothers dropping off their little luvs.
>
>Why *do* mothers insist on driving the little luvvies to school? When
>I were a lad, we either walked or took the school bus.

In our case at least, there is a frightening A road to cross. Thirty
years ago the traffic would have been quarter the number at half the
speed. The same car that people are driving to school has made
residential streets too dangerous to play on (you could still play
footie in the middle of the quieter roads in my youth) and made it
possible for the big bad bogeyman to drive fifty miles, swoop on your
beloved child and be gone before teatime (ref that poor kid in Norfolk).

Alec

Terrance Richard Boyes

Sep 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/5/97

Alec Cawley (al...@cawley.demon.co.uk) wrote:
> It was said by Simon Hewison that

> >Most hardware stores will happily sell you a replacement washer, and it's

> >not unheard of to have solid state cooling systems (based around thermocouples)
> >to cool the CPU and power filters, which on a modern PC should be the only
> >things that need cooling.
>

> Modern high-end disks (perhaps not the ones in a desktop PC, but

The ones in my desktop, soon to be replaced by a tower, certainly need
cooling. The tops off ATM and all drives are hot...

--
<URL:http://www.pierrot.co.uk/> Team AMIGA
After all, all he did was string together a lot of old, well-known quotations.

Chris Lawrence

Sep 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/6/97

Re:<2Ae9DBAQ...@the-symposium.demon.co.uk>
On Thu, 4 Sep 1997, Mandy Wright wrote:

>It's a very loud dripping tap, and not only has the washer
>split/disintegrated but the thread has been stripped so that you can
>[...]

Just start a new thread then.

>Oh and the PC's in the living room adjacent to the kitchen and I can't
>shut the kitchen door because the cat, Thomas, will complain even more
>noisily than the tap drips.

I read that as "... the cat, Thomas, will explode ..." - no idea why, it
looks nothing like it!

Maybe a bit of kip is in order.

------- To respond via email, please replace 'news' with 'cl'
--
Chris Lawrence, Liverpool, UK [http://www.spacetime.demon.co.uk/]
"Make out the Invent'ry; inspect, compare! Then die - if die you dare!"

Mike Fleming

Sep 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/7/97

In article <341656a4...@news.demon.co.uk>,
ne...@nospam.demon.co.uk (Neil Tungate) writes:

> In article <873377...@yemeads.demon.co.uk>, Jim wrote:
>
> >Yeah! Tell me about it. The road networks are yet again totally screwed
> >with all the neurotic mothers dropping off their little luvs.
>
> Why *do* mothers insist on driving the little luvvies to school? When
> I were a lad, we either walked or took the school bus.

Poor risk assessment. Apparently parents are most worried about
abduction, so they choose to use the car, run over other people's
children and into other peoples' cars...

I wonder what would happen to road casualty levels if parents were to
get their legless wonders to walk or get the bus to school? And
whether abductions would increase? And whether children might develop
better social skills because they were in the comnpany of their peers
more, and of their parents less?

Jim

Sep 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/7/97

In article <3417d9c5...@news.demon.co.uk>
ne...@skipper.demon.co.uk "Neil Tungate" writes:

> In article <4SSnxGAj...@cawley.demon.co.uk>, Alec Cawley wrote:
>
> >In our case at least, there is a frightening A road to cross. Thirty
> >years ago the traffic would have been quarter the number at half the
> >speed. The same car that people are driving to school has made
> >residential streets too dangerous to play on (you could still play
> >footie in the middle of the quieter roads in my youth) and made it
> >possible for the big bad bogeyman to drive fifty miles, swoop on your
> >beloved child and be gone before teatime (ref that poor kid in Norfolk).
>

> Having visited you Alec, I am aware that some people will have
> problems like yours. But around here I see the roads totally blocked
> at chucking out time, and I know that half of them only have to drive
> around the estate the school is on.

Ditto in Slough and Maidenhead.
I live on a country lane with pavement exactly 400 yds from the school
gates. The last 200 yds are residential with the pavement protected from
the road by trees. And the eight young children in our road are carried
this distance in two cars come rain or shine.

The lazy bitches, sorry Mothers of these little luvs would not dream of
walking this short distance. I mean, 'walking' round here is only for
the working classes.

Alongside the school is the local park type area. One of these ladies,
later in the day, loads the family labrador into the car and drives him
there for a walk.

I despair.

--
Jim.

Jim

Sep 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/7/97

In article <34187f9e...@news.demon.co.uk>
mi...@tauzero.demon.co.uk "Mike Fleming" writes:

Road casualty figures might go up near schools but I bet it would go
down elsewhere. When the little buggers eventually slip the mothers
apron strings they'd perhaps be a bit more street wise.

Abduction figures are available (somewhere) for 1950 onwards. I believe
if you remove the abductions/murders by relatives and friends you find
no significant difference.

Social Skills - Undoubtedly would improve.

--
Jim.

David Hadley

Sep 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/8/97

ne...@nospam.demon.co.uk (Neil Tungate) wrote:

>In article <873377...@yemeads.demon.co.uk>, Jim wrote:
>
>>Yeah! Tell me about it. The road networks are yet again totally screwed
>>with all the neurotic mothers dropping off their little luvs.
>
>Why *do* mothers insist on driving the little luvvies to school? When
>I were a lad, we either walked or took the school bus.

Because, these days, the mother usually has to drive to work anyway.

--
David Hadley

Mandy Wright

Sep 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/8/97

In article <B0360E39...@park78.demon.co.uk>, Adam Lloyd
<ad...@yclept.co.uk> writes
But we learn best by our mistakes, far better than from lessons taught
by others, particularly when taught by those with no experience. :)
--
Mandy http://www.the-symposium.demon.co.uk/

Adam Lloyd

Sep 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/8/97

In article <Z$mGMbAvG...@the-symposium.demon.co.uk>,
Mandy Wright <Ma...@the-symposium.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> But we learn best by our mistakes, far better than from lessons taught
> by others, particularly when taught by those with no experience. :)

I could get all insulted here, but I won't. It's too warm... although I
wouldn't call it hot any more. There's a certain hint of a chill in the
evening air, which bodes ill for the seasons to come. Pardon my English,
please: I've been writing again.

A.

Keith Stanbury

Sep 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/8/97

In article <B039F4E6...@park78.demon.co.uk>, Adam Lloyd
<ad...@yclept.co.uk> writes

" He stood, antagonised...his eyes,aglow with hot passion, piercingly
probing, his demeanour aggresive, demanding....

"Ma'am".. he rasped.."Ditheyknookinnneewoteeysaieee?" he demanded.

The Princess lowered her eyes, demurely, her robe falling apart to
reveal the 'White Snake' tattoo tastefully emblazoned across her left
mammary.. After a momemt's pondering she replied -

"Sir" she whispered "..as the victor.. nay the conqueror.. I am but your
flotsam in the tide of your revenge.. your anger.. your desires... a
mere morsel to be consumed on your route to total victory and
domination.."

"BWAAHAAHAAHAA" he shouted.

Throwing his battleaxe aside, wresting off his body armour and dropping
his strides he stood in front of her. She, recognising her total
humiliation and subjugation rended the flimsy gossamer that, futilely,
covered her femininity...

Their eyes met....an instantaneous spark of understanding...an unspoken
commitment...

"F**k this, it's frigging cold in here........."

--
Keith ke...@ilf0rd.demon.co.uk

Derek Tidman

Sep 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/8/97

In article <341cc92e.7197866@news>
da...@dhadley.demon.co.uk "David Hadley" writes:

:-ne...@nospam.demon.co.uk (Neil Tungate) wrote:
:-
:->Why *do* mothers insist on driving the little luvvies to school? When
:->I were a lad, we either walked or took the school bus.
:-
:-Because, these days, the mother usually has to drive to work anyway.
:-
I wish local authorities would just give up and accept that kids
will be driven to work and make sensible provision at schools for
a drive in drop off and piss off arrangement within the school
grounds.

--

"73.4 percent of all statistics are made up"

Donald R. Oddy

Sep 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/8/97

In article <341357b3...@news.demon.co.uk>
ne...@skipper.demon.co.uk "Neil Tungate" writes:

>I'm not suggesting the kids walk themselves to school, but rather that
>the mums walk with them - at least the younger ones. Perhaps it's yet
>another symptom of our increasingly lazy society.

Why the mothers? or don't most of the kids in your area have fathers?

--
Donald
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/

pete

Sep 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/9/97

In article <341a6fd4...@news.demon.co.uk>, Neil Tungate
<ne...@nospam.demon.co.uk> writes
>In article <RubFiTAW...@ilf0rd.demon.co.uk>, Keith Stanbury
>wrote:

>>"F**k this, it's frigging cold in here........."
>
>Amusing.

'Damning with faint praise' comes to mind...

--
Pete

Derek Tidman

Sep 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/10/97

In article <3422d424...@news.demon.co.uk>
ne...@skipper.demon.co.uk "Neil Tungate" writes:

:-In article <873751...@adams.demon.co.uk>, Derek Tidman wrote:
:-

:->I wish local authorities would just give up and accept that kids

:->will be driven to work and make sensible provision at schools for
:->a drive in drop off and piss off arrangement within the school
:->grounds.
:-
:-WE used to allow that at the school of which I am a governor. We
:-stopped them coming in after some crazy bat decided to drive straight
:-into a wall, narrowly missing several children along the way!.

Done properly it would work well, a bit of supervision
from some marshals and away you go. The jewish school
I pass every day manages to provide for three security
marshals complete with radios every day.

--

"WHERE'S MY COFFEE !!"

Ian Dempsey

Sep 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/10/97

In article <873668...@yemeads.demon.co.uk>
J...@yemeads.demon.co.uk "Jim" writes:

> Alongside the school is the local park type area. One of these ladies,
> later in the day, loads the family labrador into the car and drives him
> there for a walk.

Would the car be one of those wannabe 4WD thingies?

--
Ian Dempsey
(use ian@ to get correct reply address)

Mandy Wright

Sep 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/11/97

In article <B039F4E6...@park78.demon.co.uk>, Adam Lloyd
<ad...@yclept.co.uk> writes
>In article <Z$mGMbAvG...@the-symposium.demon.co.uk>,
>Mandy Wright <Ma...@the-symposium.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> But we learn best by our mistakes, far better than from lessons taught
>> by others, particularly when taught by those with no experience. :)
>
>I could get all insulted here, but I won't.

Thank goodness, I don't think I've ever intentionally insulted anyone.

>It's too warm... although I
>wouldn't call it hot any more. There's a certain hint of a chill in the
>evening air, which bodes ill for the seasons to come. Pardon my English,
>please: I've been writing again.

I'd hate to have to work out a reply to that, so you're pardoned.
--
Mandy http://www.the-symposium.demon.co.uk/

Jim

Sep 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/13/97

aleroad.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 97 23:09:38 GMT

In article <873859...@daleroad.demon.co.uk>
fuckwi...@daleroad.demon.co.uk "Ian Dempsey" writes:

> In article <873668...@yemeads.demon.co.uk>
> J...@yemeads.demon.co.uk "Jim" writes:
>
> > Alongside the school is the local park type area. One of these ladies,
> > later in the day, loads the family labrador into the car and drives him
> > there for a walk.
>
> Would the car be one of those wannabe 4WD thingies?

Nah. They've all got very functional estate cars. Although one of these
ladies has "a women who does" and she drives a 4WD wannabee.

--
Jim.

Robert Bird

Sep 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/14/97

In article <874105...@yemeads.demon.co.uk>, Jim
<J...@yemeads.demon.co.uk> writes
About half the mums round this way use (not drive!) Chelsea Tractors on
the brat run. The only time that they ever get to go off road is when
they park on the grass verges to *avoid* the double yellow lines or zig-
zags ...........
--
Rob

Donald R. Oddy

Sep 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/14/97

In article <34231e46...@news.demon.co.uk>
ne...@skipper.demon.co.uk "Neil Tungate" writes:

>In article <873756...@grove.demon.co.uk>, "Donald R. Oddy" wrote:
>
>>Why the mothers? or don't most of the kids in your area have fathers?
>

>It's mainly women driving the cars, so I suspect the fathers are
>either working or too damned lazy to lend a hand.

So the women don't work, or have jobs where they start at 10 and
finish at 3:30.

>When we held the
>vote to make the school GM, we had to send voting papers to all
>parents - some children actually had four sets of papers sent out!

Given the divorce rate it would be an exceptional school which
had no children with two step-parents. It gets worrying when that
is true of the majority of children at a school.

--
Donald
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/