RE:Critical Mass in Delhi

Simon Bishop

Jul 31, 2008, 12:43:21 AM7/31/08
to cml...@indiaip.info, delhicycling, ishan_pu...@yahoo.co.in
Hi Chander,

Sounds really encouraging what you say. Do you think that other cyclists
would join in?

Speaking to an expert here he was telling me that they tried to get
cyclists involved but that the poorer cyclists are too 'up against it' to
find time to participate. Was wondering if we could get them involved
somehow. Could we offer something for them perhaps on the ride? Could we
negotiate some kind of cycling insurance deal and distribute flyers to
these guys - one of the first things I saw in Delhi was a guy carrying
diwali fireworks on his bike being hit by a car. The police came and
blamed him, not the car driver who was saying prayers on his head (no money
though). I worried that his, and his family's whole livelihood was ended
in one foul swoop by this careless driver. Insurance would really help,
but I don't pretend to know what could work here. Perhaps t-shirts saying
"One less car" could be distributed? Its also time these guys got some
respect from car drivers for reducing congestion and being environmentally
friendly.

Maybe we should not get carried away and see who turns up first?! There'll
be enough of us to get things started. But can everyone put their oar in.
It goes without saying that Delhi is different from New York or London.

Was thinking that the last Friday of the month might be easy to remember if
it is to become a regular thing, plus it links us with the critical masses
happening elsewhere. Do you think so Chander?

All the best,

Simon

"Chander M. Lall"
<cmlall@indiaip.i
nfo> To
"'Simon Bishop'"
07/30/2008 05:22 <sim...@teri.res.in>,
PM "'delhicycling'"
<delhic...@googlegroups.com>
cc
Please respond to <ishan_pu...@yahoo.co.in>
<cmlall@indiaip.i Subject
nfo> RE: [DELHI CYCLING CLUB] Re: Ride
Of Silence in Delhi?????

If I might jump in....a critical mass bike ride would certainly not be
illegal and is a great idea. My suggestion would be to fix one day of the
month...as in other countries...and test the concept and the participation
it generates. Even if we can get 20 people for start ..it would be a good
start.

Friday evening perhaps is critical because that is the time that everybody
gets free from work and the next day is a holiday. The idea is to be
viewed by office commuters who travel by motorized transport. The base
idea
is to disrupt the office commuters.

Also, Friday evening we will get a lot of cyclists who generally commute to
work and back. By the hundreds I would think. If we can get their
participation that could add to the critical mass.

For a start I would suggest the biking path between Defence Colony and Khan
Pur. The first ride can be on the cycling path to demonstrate how
important
such paths are. Once we get a "critical mass" we can look for other
routes.
We may get a lot of coverage if we first actively promote the biking path.
I think this path needs attention...already there are fallen trees,
motocyclists and pedestrians who don’t understand this as a cycling path.
The authorities need to understand that whilst the BRT may not have bene
successful the cycling paths are great and need to maintained and expanded.

Lets get this going guys. I would suggest 2nd Friday of every month. That
would be Friday the 8th.

Regards

Chander M. Lall
cml...@IndiaIP.info

Jul 31, 2008, 2:53:47 AM7/31/08
to delhic...@googlegroups.com
I live in punjabi bagh (north west delhi).I certainly cant come to khan market (or mehrauli or any other place in south delhi ) on my bicycle all the way from punjabi bagh on a bicycle.
it would be better if kept it like this--
people start from ,say, location A reach upto B and then people (living near B) from B go till C and so on.this way we can cover the whole of delhi and not increase our carbon footprint by going to the said far-off location in our cars.

Ashish Gupta

Aug 1, 2008, 12:40:47 PM8/1/08
to jaspreet singh, delhic...@googlegroups.com
That too is a great idea... as a physicist would put it...

critical mass leads to a chain reaction ...

Jaspreet's idea is that - a chain reaction. Now if only we could get to the number of Ayes!

- Ashish

kanwal rajiv anand

Aug 1, 2008, 11:08:43 AM8/1/08
to jaspreet singh, delhicyc...@gmail.com, delhicycling
hi folks
firstly the critical mass idea is fantastic - we must do it in ncr
two - how to do it
 1. distances / separation make all getting together a problem which will remian
2. So solution - can we have comments - lets have the main route in a radial in luyens delhi; we can have other radials in north west south east delhi as also gurgaon faridabad etc - each will have a circular route - thereafter we have a connecting spoke to the lutyens delhi circuit
3. so how this works is that the regional circuits go on from lets say 0600 - 0700 the n the spokes move towards lutyens central ciruclar route by 0800 and from 0800 to 0900 we have the central route operative
thirdly - like a relay race we have a parchment / paper with signatures of all participants
fourthly - suggest good pix of each - maybe nominate a leader for each  circuit
fifthly - lets do it on each sat/ sun to start and consolidate
after consolidation once a month last sat is fine!!!
comments from all in the gorup welcome
col kanwal rajiv anand

Chander M. Lall

Aug 4, 2008, 5:55:05 AM8/4/08
to kanwal rajiv anand, jaspreet singh, delhicyc...@gmail.com, delhicycling, Admin

Kanwal,

Good suggestions indeed.  I just feel it would be better if everybody is at one location.  Much more impactful.  We can then change venues every month sot at different times it is convenient / inconvenient to different people.

I am willing to travel to East, West, North of South…..Why don’t we start for Connaught place or thereabouts for a start.  We can then pick other locations going forward.   The start should perhaps be from a central location.

Regards

Chander M. Lall

cml...@IndiaIP.com

LALL & SETHI Advocates
M-19A, South Extension - II
New Delhi - 110 049
Ph(Direct) : 91-11-4289 9911
Ph : 91-11-4289 9999 (Ext. 200)

Mobile : 91-98110 30777
Fax : 91-11-4289 9900

Websites :
www.IndiaIP.com : www.FilmPiracy.com
BC:  BOT:  AT:  BT:

Marcus

Aug 4, 2008, 4:59:55 PM8/4/08
to delhicycling

Hi guys,

Just throwing in my vote. Totally agree with the whole one location
thing. We would almost certainly have to start small but at least it
would be a start. Monthy would be perfect, then it would build up
momentum each time. Even if our first time works out to be a major
letdown with poor turnout, it'll still be a start of something huge!

I'd suggest it should be on the weekends, it seems almost no one rides
during the week.

I'm really excited about this! :D

On Aug 4, 2:55 pm, "Chander M. Lall" <cml...@indiaip.com> wrote:
> Kanwal,
>
> Good suggestions indeed.  I just feel it would be better if everybody is at
> one location.  Much more impactful.  We can then change venues every month
> sot at different times it is convenient / inconvenient to different people.
>
> I am willing to travel to East, West, North of South...Why don't we start
> for Connaught place or thereabouts for a start.  We can then pick other
> locations going forward.   The start should perhaps be from a central
> location.
>
> Regards
>
> Chander M. Lall
>  <mailto:cml...@IndiaIP.com> cml...@IndiaIP.com
>
> LALL & SETHI Advocates
> M-19A, South Extension - II
> New Delhi - 110 049
> Ph(Direct) : 91-11-4289 9911
> Ph : 91-11-4289 9999 (Ext. 200)
>
> Mobile : 91-98110 30777
> Fax : 91-11-4289 9900
>
> Websites :www.IndiaIP.com<http://www.indiaip.com/>  :
> <http://www.filmpiracy.com/>www.FilmPiracy.com
> BC:  BOT:  AT:  BT:
>
>   _____

vi

Aug 6, 2008, 12:45:38 AM8/6/08
to delhicycling
Hello everyone,
Great to see the spirits building up. There's an elusive weekend just
a couple of days from now, how about planning for something?
I'm sure there are people from all sides of Delhi waiting to be a part
of this; so lets form small groups that start early and have them
converge at some central point. This way the entire group gets to be
together. Questions of increasing participation and alternate forms
like relay cycling can be discussed there, and experimented with
later.
I'll be coming from Delhi University/Mallroad. The smaller roads are
deteriorating/congested and it gets worse in another km towards
Kashmere Gate. The only wide/safe/maintained road to cycle on is the
ring road (or the roads leading to the same). Can't think of anything
closer than Connaught Place (Rajeev Chowk) to join up with the others.
India Gate, probably, only another couple of kilometres.

Anoop Rajan

Aug 7, 2008, 9:04:49 AM8/7/08
to delhicycling
Hello Cyclist...

Greetings to every one.

my name is Anoop, i m from mumbai

I daily ride around 27 to 28 km to and fro to work.
and so far the longest ride is around 160 to 170 km.. to raigad

I have seen that most of the pro cyclist or may be any athlete will
not coordinate or even speak

and same goes with the poor section of people who cycle to work. as
they have no other option.

its fun for us and work for them.

the reason i wrote this is because we need to be united and show every
one that we need cycling lanes.. fhew.. forgot it.. there are no place
for people to walk then who is gone make cycling lanes.
(i know delhi has got cycling lanes)

If we dn't request then we dnt get it..

Even if not cycling lanes. Every one should know we are in huge
numbers and some things has to be done.
so that people ride safe on roads and things like that.

so if we convince 1 person to quit his car. we actually make space for
4 more cyclist on the road.

So when are u all starting the first CM ride.

We are holding a rally in mumbai on 15 aug. from borivali to
churchgate.
will be educating people and distrusting pamphlet.

And also will be planing to start critical mass soon once in a month.
will be discussing on 15 aug.
One thing i am planing is bikers share in may be 50 or 100 rupess or
what ever any one want to give out once a month. and some one prints
details about why we are riding and also post some ones contact number
or mail id who will look after new people who wants to join the ride.

and get things working.

Regards,
Anoop

Sameer

Aug 7, 2008, 7:48:00 PM8/7/08
to delhicycling
heres my 2 bits.....the way i see it we seem to have 3 purposes

have fun
creat awareness
get more people to join

giving the propensity of the indian public at large and press in
particular we would be able to do the last 2 obj by getting a few big
names involved.

having said this , we need to get more engaged with the govt in terms
of policy , infrastructure etc to push this issue and enable the whole
idea of "cycling"

frankly while im saying this my office is 24 kms frm my home so its a
far away dream for me to cycle there.....unless , like in other
countries , the metro lets me carry my cycle on board. Should we take
it up with them?

Cheers

Arindam Sarkar

Aug 8, 2008, 11:16:41 AM8/8/08
to Sameer, delhicycling
Well ...

This does look like a pretty good initiative. However looking at the rush in metro these days, seems unlikely that it will be allowed. Also even I personally feel it will cause discomfort to a lot pf people.

However there can still be a way.Say trying to negotiate during off peak huors. Say if its allowed to carry cycles in on only a designated compartment from say.... 6am to 7am .. well something of that sort (maybe they can charge for it too). If it works, it will greatly greatly increase the number of cycle users and encourage more and more people into it.

We may try to push this forward.

cheers!!
Arindam