painted snipes, pittas, and photographs

Abhijit Menon-Sen

May 4, 2011, 7:46:25 PM5/4/11
to delhib...@googlegroups.com
Hi.

Last year, Bikram posted a couple of plates with illustrations of
"Indian birds around Fort St. George" from John Ray's 1713 book,
"Synopsis Methodica Avium et Piscium":

http://groups.google.com/group/delhibirdpix/browse_thread/thread/b352bc768e1110bb/40cb7e90978a506a

One of the species described and illustrated in that account is the
Greater Painted-snipe. After seeing all the photographs of this bird
posted to the group recently, I wrote this:

http://toroid.org/ams/etc/partridge-snipe

(Apologies to those who have already seen the link above.)

Now, I'd like to translate some of the other descriptions there,
starting with that of the Indian Pitta (Madrass Jay).

Does anyone have a nice photograph or two of the Pitta which they
wouldn't mind letting me use to go with the translation, i.e. which
they would allow me to post on my web page? (Bonus points if it was
taken in Tamil Nadu or Andhra Pradesh. ;-)

Thanks in advance.

-- ams

Abhijit Menon-Sen

May 6, 2011, 5:10:27 AM5/6/11
to delhib...@googlegroups.com
At 2011-05-05 05:16:25 +0530, a...@toroid.org wrote:

> Does anyone have a nice photograph or two of the Pitta which they
> wouldn't mind letting me use to go with the translation, i.e. which
> they would allow me to post on my web page?

Once again, Sharad sent me some nice photographs, one of which I used
for my article:

http://toroid.org/ams/etc/madrass-jay

The Painted Snipe, Indian Pitta, and any other translations I get around
to doing will be posted at http://toroid.org/ams/etc/synopsis-avium (but
I will not bother this list with individual announcements any more; if
you are interested, you can subscribe to the feed at that URL, or send
me private mail to poke you when I publish something else).

-- ams