Grassbird ID, Joka, Kolkata

Sumit

Mar 21, 2010, 3:25:36 PM3/21/10
to Delhibirdpix, Bird Photography India
Hi Folks,
I think that the Joka grassbirds have more Bristled Grassbird traits than Rufous-rumped. See attached close-ups which show rictal bristles and also note the large size when compared to the Plain Prinia in the frame. This has to be a larger than 16cm bird and that is also what we think it is in the field.
Comments would be welcome.
Regards,
Sumit
grassbird_kolk_head.jpg
grassbird_closeup3b.jpg
grassbird_kolkata1c.jpg

Sushmita Jha

Mar 21, 2010, 3:39:21 PM3/21/10
to sumi...@gmail.com, Delhibirdpix, Bird Photography India
I saw the bird last week in Joka (along with, luckily, the lanceolated warbler). I finally had a chance to look at Inskipp this evening (have been travelling until now) to compare with the images posted, and had the same thought. The tail in some images posted is also very different from the illustration in Inskipp, though in the comparative image posted by Sumit, the tail looks more like that of Rufous-rumped.
Sushmita

Sumit

Apr 9, 2010, 3:46:09 AM4/9/10
to Delhibirdpix, Bird Photography India
Hi Folks,
I just got the following message from Paul Leader.
Paul has been working on Asian grassbirds, especially Rufous-rumped.

These are certainly not Rufous-rumped Grassbird.  This can easily be eliminated by the lack of obvious black and white markings on the nape and crown.  The attached photo shows this well – specimens are nominate bengalensis  (too large to be attached with this mail - Sumit).

 I would propose that your birds are indeed Bristled Grassbird as you suggest."

Based on this, I am relabeling the Joka birds as Bristled Grassbirds. This species had a historical range in the area where we found the birds - but they are being re-sighted after maybe 20-30 years.

Cheers!

Sumit

Rohan Kamath

Apr 9, 2010, 10:18:45 AM4/9/10
to delhibirdpix
@Sumit Sir

Thanks for the valuable update.

-Cheers,
Rohan
Follow birding activity in and around Pune at:- http://groups.google.com/group/punebirds
Conservation begins at HOME... We CAN make a difference...