Removing old repositories from the decapod googlecode space

Justin Obara

May 18, 2012, 1:22:47 PM5/18/12
to dec...@googlegroups.com
I happened to be looking through the admin features of the decapod googlecode space today. Before, we were not able to delete a repository, there was only a facility to disabled old repos. Now, it appears, that you are able to actually delete a repo.

For Decapod we have two old repos that have been disabled: decapod-server and decapod-genpdf. This means that they are inaccessible, but still hanging around. Since we don't use these anymore at all, I'd like to fully remove them. It had been the intention in the first place to drop them, and it seems that it will only add confusion for future developers if we leave them here. Are there any objects to me performing this action?

Here are the dead links to the repos:
https://code.google.com/p/decapod.decapod-genpdf
https://code.google.com/p/decapod.decapod-server

Here are the current repos that replaced them:
https://code.google.com/p/decapod.genpdf/
https://code.google.com/p/decapod.server/

Additionally, we have some old repos that we will not be using from 0.5 and beyond: stitching and decapod-infusion. These are necessary for Decapod 0.4 though. I think we should keep these for the time being, but am open to discussion.

Thanks
Justin

Karl Fogel

May 18, 2012, 1:38:33 PM5/18/12
to dec...@googlegroups.com
Justin Obara <obara....@gmail.com> writes:
>For Decapod we have two old repos that have been disabled:
>decapod-server and decapod-genpdf. This means that they are
>inaccessible, but still hanging around. Since we don't use these
>anymore at all, I'd like to fully remove them. It had been the
>intention in the first place to drop them, and it seems that it will
>only add confusion for future developers if we leave them here. Are
>there any objects to me performing this action?

Don't delete -- just remove the files and leave a single README in each
one, containing a forwarding pointer to wherever you want people to go
for the latest stuff.

-K

Justin Obara

May 22, 2012, 10:26:02 AM5/22/12
to dec...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the feedback.

These repos have probably been inaccessible for over a year or two. Since they were disabled, they aren't viewable at all.
Would you suggest that I reopen them and replace the contents with the README pointing to the correct locations.

Also, for the other repos I mentioned, where the code is only valid up to a certain version, is it better to close off the repos with the README or leave them as is?

Thanks
Justin

Karl Fogel

May 25, 2012, 12:13:40 AM5/25/12
to dec...@googlegroups.com
Justin Obara <obara....@gmail.com> writes:
>Thanks for the feedback.
>
>These repos have probably been inaccessible for over a year or
>two. Since they were disabled, they aren't viewable at all.
>Would you suggest that I reopen them and replace the contents with the
>README pointing to the correct locations.

Oh -- if they've been down for that long and no one complained, then
nah, it's probably not worth putting forwarding pointers there now.

>Also, for the other repos I mentioned, where the code is only valid up
>to a certain version, is it better to close off the repos with the
>README or leave them as is?

IMHO better to have one last revision that deletes obsolete code
(leaving it in the history, of course) and replacing it with a README
explaining what's going on.

Best,
-K

Justin Obara

May 25, 2012, 8:49:47 AM5/25/12
to dec...@googlegroups.com
Hi Karl,

Thanks for the advice. I plan on following the steps you outlined. I've filed a ticket in our issue tracker for it.
http://issues.fluidproject.org/browse/DECA-266

Thanks
Justin

Karl Fogel

May 25, 2012, 11:14:43 AM5/25/12
to dec...@googlegroups.com
Justin Obara <obara....@gmail.com> writes:
>Thanks for the advice. I plan on following the steps you
>outlined. I've filed a ticket in our issue tracker for it.
>http://issues.fluidproject.org/browse/DECA-266

Cool! Best of luck with the project, as always!...

-K