Transfer rate very poor - SankeOS

Wagner Felix

Oct 7, 2010, 5:01:30 PM10/7/10
to DealExtreme NAS
Hi,

Anyone know how to improve transfer rate?
Using SnakeOS, shared folders transfer at 550 KB/s MAX! It's a very poor transfer rate in a cable network (is not Wi-Fi)

Thanks

Wagner

Robert Marcoux

Oct 7, 2010, 5:16:37 PM10/7/10
to dealextr...@googlegroups.com
What format are you using?

Ext3? Fat?, Fat 32? ...

That could certainly explain the low speed...

I hardly ever go under 4 mb/sec on a wired network... and sometimes
2-3 times faster than that...

> --

Robert Marcoux
rmarc...@gmail.com

Wagner Felix

Oct 7, 2010, 5:25:08 PM10/7/10
to dealextr...@googlegroups.com
NTFS

Changing to Ext3, transfer rate will improve?
Also, some backup files are very large (>4GiB, I don't know if they can be >16 GiB), that's why I don't use FAT 32 or FAT.

thanks

Wagner Felix

Robert Marcoux

Oct 7, 2010, 5:48:41 PM10/7/10
to dealextr...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Yes it will definitely improve.

I also would rather use NTFS because the Hard Disks could be moved
around instead of being dependent on a NAS... or a Linux partition...

Unfortunately, as you have been experiencing, speed slows down quite a
bit under Windows... :-(

Give it a shot and see how much your speed improves...

(I have been using Acronis True image to format the disk to Ext3...
pretending I was out to install a new disk...)

Let use know...

Wagner Felix

Oct 7, 2010, 6:17:40 PM10/7/10
to dealextr...@googlegroups.com
Ok,

My problem now is how to format NTFS to Ext3  without lose existing data :D

Or some pain to move again more tham 300 GiB of data

And, yes, other problem to use Ext3 is not able to put the same hd into a usb on windows system...

The funny thing is (Is a NS-K330) with original firmware I get higher speeds even in NTFS. (But the original firmware not recognize our printer, so its useless)

Thanks, I will think what to do :P

Wagner

Ricardo Gomes da Silva

Oct 7, 2010, 8:42:26 PM10/7/10
to dealextr...@googlegroups.com
Actually you can use ext3 on windows, but you'll need an IFS driver for that. Google "ext2 on windows" (or ext3) and you'll find some drivers and applications to get it working. Here I'm using one which is supported by x64 environments and it works great. Well, it eventually gets daaaaaaaaamn slow, but whatever... :)

About speeds, that's a good point... how the hell it's faster? Weird.

Robert Marcoux

Oct 7, 2010, 9:18:20 PM10/7/10
to dealextr...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the info Ricardo.

I'll certainly give that a tr.

Even if it might get slow at times, I can put up with that! :-)

Ricardo Gomes da Silva

Oct 7, 2010, 9:44:48 PM10/7/10
to dealextr...@googlegroups.com
Ah, and don't try using eSATA. Actually, using SATA. I tried and it crashed my entire system heheheh :) USB works fine, but with the driver I'm using (I can't remember the name :S but it has an "ext2 volume manager" which you must start to get access to ext2/3 FS (then you can closed it)) you can't get some info. If I recall correctly I wasn't able to get a folder size.

Anyway, I'm trying to teak samba inside a chroot environment.Well, the entire NAS now is working inside a chrooted environment here: rtorrent (I'm testing, then I'll post my results, but until now I'm very happy using it with screen lol), samba, svn server (I need it) and even SSH.

An updated samba installation inside the chroot environment with 2 SSH daemons (snake's and debian's), 1 rtorrent (3 torrents, all stopped) and 1 svnserve gave about 4.23mb/s stable speed (reading). I can't remember the old speed, but wasn't so high.. it was something around 3mb/s for me.

robert

Oct 8, 2010, 5:53:33 AM10/8/10
to DealExtreme NAS
Hi Ricardo,

You mention new Samba is running in chroot.

Can you give some guide how to?
What package should be install? and what configuration should be made?

Regads,
Robert

> An updated samba installation inside the chroot environment with 2 SSH
> daemons (snake's and debian's), 1 rtorrent (3 torrents, all stopped) and 1
> svnserve gave about 4.23mb/s *stable* speed (reading). I can't remember the

Ricardo Gomes da Silva

Oct 8, 2010, 6:58:41 AM10/8/10
to dealextr...@googlegroups.com
Robert,

sure. First of all, disable Samba inside snake's admin page (remember to save the config). Go inside the chroot and install samba:

apt-get install samba

and now configure it (/etc/samba/smb.conf or something like that). I guess you'll need to restart the service every time you change the configuration (/etc/init.d/./samba restart)...

Ah, I'm using my external hdd as /usb/sda1 on Snake and my chroot as /usb/sda1/debian. You may change this whenneeded. :)

To make it start on boot, you can hack the telnet's script file. This is an example:

CHROOTDIR="/usb/sda1/debian"

start() {
        # Chroot first...
        echo "Preparing chroot..."
        mount -o bind /proc /usb/sda1/debian/proc
        mount -o bind /dev /usb/sda1/debian/dev
        mount -o bind /usb/sda1 $CHROOTDIR/mnt/sda1
        # Now run it.
        echo "Starting chrooted services..."
        chroot $CHROOTDIR /etc/init.d/./samba start
}

stop() {
        echo "You can't disable the chroot environment. Reboot the NAS."
        exit 1
}

Note: this script might be wrong. This is not exactly the script I'm using to start chrooted services. In my case, I changed telnet's script to start another script (called chroot) and then it mounts everything and executes "/nas/./init" inside the chroot environment, so it can start more serves and it's easier to configure. Anyway, this is just to give you an idea of how to start it.

Remember that after changing any init file on snake (outsite the chroot jail) you need to save the config.

Now you're probably asking "ok, and about smb.conf, what should I do?". Well... the first part of its settings is pretty easy to use. Actually, I remember almost everything from that file that is related to printers (I'm not using printer sharing at all). This is what I did:

Settings:
  • Browsing/identification: defaults.. I didn't change anything at all here.
  • Networking: also defaults
  • Debugging/Accounting: disabled all options (log files may use some CPU and I don't care about logs on a internal network ;)
  • Authentication: defaults.
  • Misc: I tried to hack the "socket options", but nah... didn't work so great, so I kept the default setting
  • Something related to domains: default.
  • Everything related to print: just remove it lol
  • Shares: remove the defaults (or comment them).
Shares:

[sda1]
  # Info
   path = /mnt/sda1
   comment = sda1
   browseable = yes
  # Masks
   create mask = 0700
   directory mask = 0700
  # Auth
   valid users = debug
   guest ok = no
  # Hacks
   #oplocks = false
   #level2 oplocks = false

Ah, also I had to create an user/group. You can use adduser/useradd and addgroup/usergroup to add them. Leave the default home path and bla bla bla. You may remove user's shell if you don't want it to login. Now reset it's samba password (as root):

smbpasswd -a your_username_here

I guess this is it. Everytime you restart samba it takes a few minutes to get online again on Windows, so wait about 3 minutes.

Hope this helps. I'll post this as a page as soon as I have time. Now I need to go to work (it's 7:55 and I'm writing emails :D).

Regards,
Ricardo

Wagner Felix

Oct 8, 2010, 5:24:47 PM10/8/10
to dealextr...@googlegroups.com
Well,
Today I get a WLX-652... I copy all config from K330for testing purpose, and for my surprise, the transfer became 3 times faster! about 1000 ~ 1600 KB/s. So I think NTFS may slow the transfer, but my k330 certainly have some hardware issue...

Thanks

Wagner

robert

Oct 11, 2010, 4:22:09 AM10/11/10
to DealExtreme NAS
Hi Ricardo,

Thank you very much for very quick response.
I'm half way on doing it. (Ubuntu 10.10 is out and makes some delay
in it :)
I would benchmark speed, and will refer the results....

I'm confused with the new settings, because original smb.conf looks
like this:

#======================= Global Settings
=====================================
[global]
server string = SNAKE
smb passwd file = /etc/smbpasswd
security = SHARE
workgroup = WORKGROUP
encrypt passwords = true
short preserve case = yes
preserve case = yes
guest account = ftp
guest ok = yes
force user = root
force group = root
socket options = SO_KEEPALIVE TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=16384
SO_SNDBUF=16384
character set = ISO8859-1
client code page = 850
==============================
[nas1]
comment = nas1
path = /usb/sda1
writeable = yes
#======================= Global Settings End
=====================================

I need to understand why:
guest ok = no , and why
valid users = debug and
Do I need new users if I'm alone in my network?

Regards,
Robert.

Ricardo Gomes da Silva

Oct 11, 2010, 11:22:36 AM10/11/10
to dealextr...@googlegroups.com
Ah, I understand you. Arch Linux sometimes has some updates and I need to sit down and wait. :)

Anyway, about your question, you need new users only if you don't wanna allow guest access (my case). If you're alone, just enable guest access and remove valid users, then just ignore the rest of the tutorial about samba users. So you'll be able (I hope so) to access all file as guest. At least reading files. Writing files I'm not sure what will happen.

About speed, it's not that great. The max I could get here is ~4.0MB/s. Well, it works. The reason why I'm using Samba inside chroot is because it's more updated and you have a better control over it.

Err.. if you get guest access working, can you send me an example setup (smb.conf)? I'll post it there, so other users can do the same :)

Regards,
Ricardo