Temperature sensor

M. Gusmão

Oct 11, 2010, 8:57:04 PM10/11/10
to DealExtreme NAS
Hi!

I'm a very new user of NS-K330 and I'm surprised about how much heat
it spends when it works and I'm interested in measure this variation
and maybe develop a system to control a little fan to help the device
keep cool.

For that, I'm about to make a temperature sensor for the NAS' SoC
using a DS18S20 and I wonder if it will work for sure. There are 2
issues: if this circuit [ http://martybugs.net/electronics/tempsensor/
] will work with the NAS' serial port and if the mentioned program,
called "digitemp" can be compiled to the ARM architecture.

Please let me know your opinions before starting the project. In a few
days I'll be receiving some samples of Maxim's DS18S20 so would be
great if we build this together.

Cheers!

Ricardo Gomes da Silva

Oct 12, 2010, 12:16:21 PM10/12/10
to dealextr...@googlegroups.com
I'm not sure if you can use the serial port for this. As far as I know, you can't control serial output now because it's a console. Also, it's not a good idea disable this console, since it's the only way you can see what's happening when NAS is not available on network.

Another point is to use an USB-RS232 adapter, but I couldn't find a way to make it work.

Ricardo

timop

Oct 15, 2010, 3:55:10 AM10/15/10
to DealExtreme NAS
I asked about same thing there is DS9490 usb adapter but it doesn't
found in chrooted debian when I plug it in...

On Oct 12, 7:16 pm, Ricardo Gomes da Silva <cado...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm not sure if you can use the serial port for this. As far as I know, you
> can't control serial output now because it's a console. Also, it's not a
> good idea disable this console, since it's the only way you can see what's
> happening when NAS is not available on network.
>
> Another point is to use an USB-RS232 adapter, but I couldn't find a way to
> make it work.
>
> Ricardo
>
> 2010/10/11 M. Gusmão <mendelsongus...@gmail.com>
>
> > Hi!
>
> > I'm a very new user of NS-K330 and I'm surprised about how much heat
> > it spends when it works and I'm interested in measure this variation
> > and maybe develop a system to control a little fan to help the device
> > keep cool.
>
> > For that, I'm about to make a temperature sensor for the NAS' SoC
> > using a DS18S20 and I wonder if it will work for sure. There are 2
> > issues: if this circuit [http://martybugs.net/electronics/tempsensor/
> > ] will work with the NAS' serial port and if the mentioned program,
> > called "digitemp" can be compiled to the ARM architecture.
>
> > Please let me know your opinions before starting the project. In a few
> > days I'll be receiving some samples of Maxim's DS18S20 so would be
> > great if we build this together.
>
> > Cheers!

Fernando Galindo

Oct 15, 2010, 4:05:40 AM10/15/10
to dealextr...@googlegroups.com
hi,
you can use an arduino with usb-serial driver...
regards,

--
1166914855
-------

Ricardo Gomes da Silva

Oct 15, 2010, 6:53:01 AM10/15/10
to dealextr...@googlegroups.com
Fernando, please, elaborate that answer.

Arduino has a built-in usb-serial driver (which I guess it works on TTL levels, not RS232), so even you connect it to the USB port on NAS, the problem is that SnakeOS can't detect it, both because it doesn't have support, and because it doesn't have the drivers.

I already tried building the usb-serial modules to try to load them on kernel (I did this with the /dev/tun once lol). The problem is that I couldn't make the driver find the device :)

Fernando Galindo

Oct 15, 2010, 7:14:40 AM10/15/10
to dealextr...@googlegroups.com
hi,
Sorry about my answer :P
Some time ago i recompiled snake os kernel in order to add USB_SERIAL
support. This is the .config file i used:
http://www.babuino.org/wp-content/uploads/str8132_defconfig_jffs2.txt
It worked ok. I wrote a c program to read arduino serial line and send
the data to Pachube.
Sorry about my low english skills.. :P
regards.

Ricardo Gomes da Silva

Oct 15, 2010, 8:18:13 AM10/15/10
to dealextr...@googlegroups.com
Wow, that's nice. So it worked, hm? Hm.. I guess I can find a lot of nice things to do with this.....

And thanks a lot for sharing the kernel setup! :) I'll try it when I find some free time.

Regards,
Ricardo

M. Gusmão

Oct 19, 2010, 10:27:00 PM10/19/10
to DealExtreme NAS
Man, that's a lot of work, isn't?

My samples order were rejected so I'm not interested anymore in doing
this...

By the way, I'm trying to setup a watchdog in the NAS. Sometimes my
router disconnects from PPPoE and the only way to get the connection
back is doing a power cycle. I'm running a simple watchdog to reset
the router via an URL but it seems to be not working, the router
really requires a power cycle.

In this link [ http://stupidhax.blogspot.com/2010/02/fonera-automated-reset-technology-take.html
], the guy shows how to power cycle a modem using a Fonera router, but
it uses the router' GPIO. So, I ask: is there any free GPIO in our NAS
model? Is it simple to control?

Other idea is to use a simple microcontroller connected to NAS serial
and waiting for a specific string, like a magic word. When it receives
the string, it activates a relay (NC, of course) for some seconds,
doing the power cycle.

What do you guys think about these ideas?

Cheers!

On 11 out, 22:57, M. Gusmão <mendelsongus...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm a very new user of NS-K330 and I'm surprised about how much heat
> it spends when it works and I'm interested in measure this variation
> and maybe develop a system to control a little fan to help the device
> keep cool.
>
> For that, I'm about to make atemperaturesensor for the NAS' SoC

Lez

Oct 20, 2010, 5:37:59 AM10/20/10
to dealextr...@googlegroups.com
Once had similar issue with a modem the would lockup and need a power
cycle, so we routed its power via a relay connected to the floppy
motor....

when connection failed, a simple dos dir a: did the trick..

Nick

Nov 6, 2010, 9:00:13 PM11/6/10
to DealExtreme NAS
Hi,

I was just wondering about a temp sensor as well. I have the box
together with some other "critical" equipment in a closet which is not
too well ventilated, and wanted to keep track of the temp.

As anyone checked out if there is any temperature sensor on the device
or in any of the ICs ? I suppose this is just a cheap/simple board ...
but knowing that there are temp sensors everywhere in most devices ..
thought if there was one which could just be accessed through i2c or
whatever else is used to access them on mother boards.

I.e. -- having access to the value from /proc/ would be nice.

Anyone know how to check this out ?

Thanks.

Nick