Klingon Meta FAQ

QIb vestai yabHuj

Jan 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/28/00

Klingon Meta - FAQ

Imperial Date
ID 9910.20

by QIb vestai yabHuj
yab...@khemorex-klinzhai.de

This FAQ lists all FAQs I know of related to the Klingon fandom,
culture, language and ...whatever.

Please send corrections, adresses, contacts, information and whatever
you know to contribute to this FAQ to me.

This FAQ is posted about monthly to the USENET newsgroups
alt.startrek.klingon
de.rec.sf.startrek.fans
de.rec.sf.startrek.kulturen
rec.arts.startrek.fandom

The FAQ is available via WWW at

http://www.khemorex-klinzhai.de/faqs/meta.html (HTML)
http://www.khemorex-klinzhai.de/faqs/meta.txt (ASCII)

You can receive the newest FAQs about monthly via the mailing list. To
subscribe send a mail to
meta-faq...@sf-fantasy.de with "subscribe" in the subject line.

0. Structure of this FAQ (Table Of Contents)

1. Klingon Clubs and Groups FAQ
2. Klingon Equipment FAQ
3. Learning Klingon FAQ
4. Klingon Language FAQ (of the tlhIngan Hol maillist)
5. "Paramount Hol" FAQ
6. Klingonaase FAQ
7. Klingon Names
8. How to make a latex mask
9. Klingon Appearance FAQ
10. Klingon Ships FAQ
11. Important WWW addresses
12. Open Mailing Lists

1. Klingon Clubs and Groups FAQ
(by yab...@khemorex-klinzhai.de)

The complete listing and compilation of information about Klingon
clubs and groups worldwide. You can find the FAQ

about monthly in the USENET newsgroup
alt.startrek.klingon
rec.arts.startrek.fandom

about monthly in the Fido area
STARTREK.KLINGON.GER

and on WWW at
http://www.khemorex-klinzhai.de/faqs/kli-faq.html (HTML)
http://www.khemorex-klinzhai.de/faqs/kli-faq.txt (HTML)

2. Klingon Equipment FAQ
(by yab...@khemorex-klinzhai.de)

This FAQ tries to concentrate basic information and tips about Klingon
equipment: masks, uniforms, weapons, etc. You can find it

about monthly in the USENET newsgroup
alt.startrek.klingon

and on WWW at
http://www.khemorex-klinzhai.de/faqs/equipment.html (HTML)
http://www.khemorex-klinzhai.de/faqs/equipment.txt (ASCII)

3. Learning Language FAQ
(by dba...@primenet.com)

His FAQ provides basic information about the learning the Klingon
language (tlhIngan Hol). You can find it:

then and when in the USENET newsgroup
alt.startrek.klingon

by request to dba...@primenet.com

and on WWW (a maybe not AS up to date, but always available)
http://www.khemorex-klinzhai.de/faqs/hol.faq

on WWW at
http://labs.thomtech.com/~dspeers/klingon/faq.htm

5. "Paramount Hol" FAQ
(by rmc...@pop.flash.net)

If you are interested in Klingon words seen on the Star Trek TV shows,
surf your way over to...

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/6559/parhol.html

.and take a look at the collection of "Paramount Hol." The casual
fan will most likely find the list interesting from a trivia point of
view. Serious students of tlhIngan Hol, on the other hand,
will probably find it amusing the way Paramount butchers Marc Okrand's
language for the shows!

For instance, why does Martok alwats say "mahk-cha" when he should say
yIchu'? The simple reason: nobody at Paramount has ever
bothered to use the language they were given at their own request by a
professsional linguist. Even when the writers do manage to crack open
their dusty Klingon Dictionaries, they use bad grammar and syntax.
Even Klingon beginners know that Klingon sentences go
OBJECT-VERB-SUBJECT, but the writers will continually try to
translate word-for-word, and tlhIngan Hol just doesn't
work that way!

6. Klingonaase FAQ
(by mIqIraH)

In this FAQ you find all the information about the classic (old)
Klingon language (klingonaase) John M. Ford mentioned in his
famous classic StarTrek books. You can find the FAQ:

on WWW at
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/6559/klingonaase.html

As this page does not longer seem to exist, I put a copy on our website
http://www.khemorex-klinzhai.de/Hol/klingonaase.html

7. Klingon Names

Often people come around asking "How do I choose a name?" and
"How do I say this name in Klingon?"

There is a section in the Klingon Language FAQ, but
there are additional resources for people who are interested in
receiving assistance with their Klingon names. You can see what names
other Klingons have chosen, register your own name, and get ideas
about how people choose a Klingon name. The resources are:

Klingon Name Registry
(by HoS'etlh qultIq Kasara (Ben Warren) of the KIDC)
It used to be here, but vanished...
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Cavern/9502/index.htm

KIDC Klingon Directory
http://www.klingon.org/KIDC/pages/KlingonDirectory.html

Jarno Peschier's list of Klingon names
It used to be here, but vanished...
http://jarno.home.ml.org/tlhingan.htm

8. How to make a latex mask
(by chuQun / Heidi Wessman Kneale, dam...@iinet.net.au)

The complete guide how to make a latex mask (the FAQ chuQun (Heidi
Wessmann) wrote some time ago - 11/1995?) is available on our
Webserver (18kB ASCII):

http://www.khemorex-klinzhai.de/faqs/mask.faq

9. Klingon Appearance FAQ
(by rmc...@pop.flash.net)

Two complete compilations of theories about the change in appearance
the klingons made from TOS to TMP/TNG and later:

McReynolds states his latest, most sound description at
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/6559/klingon.html

His old (nonetheless interesting) compilation of theories is preserved at
http://www.khemorex-klinzhai.de/faqs/races.faq

10. Klingon Ships FAQ
(by yab...@khemorex-klinzhai.de)

This FAQ lists all ship types of the Klingon Fleet I know of. But it is
(still) heavily under reconstruction. It is posted then and when to various
newsgroups and is available on WWW at

http://www.khemorex-klinzhai.de/faqs/ships.html (HTML)
http://www.khemorex-klinzhai.de/faqs/ships.txt (ASCII)

11. Important WWW addresses

Below I have listed a few but important WWW addresses.

KMel's Klingon Konnection
THE Klingon WWW pages compilation. The most complete I know of.
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/1908/

KIDC - Klingon Imperial Diplomatic Corps
Very much information about klingons.
http://www.klingon.org

KLI - Klingon Language Institute
THE resource for klingon language. Paramount approved.
http://www.kli.org
ftp.kli.org (FTP Server)

Khemorex Klinzhai!
Home of variuos FAQs, much information, many pictures, online
Klingon dictionary and analyzer, in German and English language.
http://www.khemorex-klinzhai.de/
(Hey! A little self-adverstising should be allowed, eh?)

"subscribe tlhingan-gol" (without quotes) in the message
body.

Klingon Language - by KIDC
A new, moderated Klingon language mailing list.
To subscribe send an email to
klingon_langu...@egroups.com
The list archiv is available at
http://www.egroups.com/lists/klingon_language/

qepHom list (German) - by Khemorex Klinzhai
A "little brother" to the KLI mailing list. Concentrated on beginners
level. Languages used are tlhIngan Hol and German - no English.
Subscribe via the Webinterface
http://www.onelist.com/ - maybe a mail to
qepHom-...@onelist.com with "subscribe"
in the subject line does the job, too...

Klingon Imperial Weapons Guild
A mailing list for the bladesmiths of the Klingon Empire -
supervised by K'Daq (kd...@kingwoodcable.com)
To subscribe send an email to
kiwg-su...@egroups.com
The list archiv is available at
http://www.egroups.com/lists/kiwg/,
the webpage at
"http://www.klingon.org/KIWG/

Klingon Subspace Transmission - by KIDC
A moderated list for news around the klingon fandom - especially KIDC.
To subscribe send an email to
KST-su...@egroups.com
The list archiv is available at
http://www.egroups.com/lists/kst/

Klingon Community - by KIDC
A general, moderated list for the klingon fandom.
To subscribe send an email to
klingon_commu...@egroups.com
The list archiv is available at
http://www.egroups.com/lists/klingon_community/

Klingon Honor Guard - by KIDC
A moderated list about the computer game.
To subscribe send an email to
klingon_honor_...@egroups.com
The list archiv is available at
http://www.egroups.com/lists/klingon_honor_guard/

13. Spinoff

Thanks to all the Klingons making the fandom such a great place. These
are especially the ones supporting me constantly with their
information.

DISCLAIMER! I know that everything even REMOTELY concerning
STAR TREK is the sole, exclusive and stingily held property of
Paramount. No infringement of those rights is even thought about.

But... this list is mine, not Paramount {{;-)
Distribute and contribute!

QIb vestai yabHuj SCO & Chief Ambassador
Volker Tanger Khemorex Klinzhai
yab...@khemorex-klinzhai.de PGP Key available
Unsolicited advertising mail is not wanted!
http://www.khemorex-klinzhai.de/faqs/meta.html
Klingon Meta - FAQ (ID 9910.20)