dim sum/ ramen

Matthew Abbott

Apr 25, 1992, 6:25:00 AM4/25/92
LH>From: hun...@work.nlm.nih.gov (Larry Hunter)
LH>Newsgroups: dc.dining

LH>University Blvd, in Wheaton. Also good, and near that, is Tung Bor,
LH>which is inside the Wheaton Mall (don't let that deter you, though).

Can you tell me more about this Tung Bor? Like how much I can
expect to pay? Do they do Dim Sum during special hours, or is it a Dim
Sum restaurant? (I'm Sumwhat Dim when it comes to Dim Sum, if you'll
excuse both me and the pun).
___
X OLX 2.1 TD X "I'm from the Lollipop. It's a good ship." - Riker

Joanna Gail Mon

Apr 29, 1992, 8:11:05 AM4/29/92
In article <70449848...@blkcat.UUCP> Matthew...@f438.n109.z1.fidonet.org (Matthew Abbott) writes:
>LH>From: hun...@work.nlm.nih.gov (Larry Hunter)
> Can you tell me more about this Tung Bor? Like how much I can
>expect to pay? Do they do Dim Sum during special hours, or is it a Dim
>Sum restaurant? (I'm Sumwhat Dim when it comes to Dim Sum, if you'll
>excuse both me and the pun).

Well, seeing as how my parents used to own Tung Bor, I can probably
tell you quite a bit about it. Dim Sum is served daily for lunch only.
Saturday and Sunday are perhaps the best days to go because weekends seem
to generate a few extra specials from the kitchen. The price range is the
last time I checked, $2.00 - $3.75 per dish. It all depends on how much you
plan to eat and what items you like.

If you don't mind a bit of soliciting....my parents left my aunt and
uncle at Tung Bor and went to open Good Fortune Restaurant (just up the
street on University Blvd.) The head chef for main entrees was once our
head chef at Tung Bor then he left to go to Fortune Restaurant in Virginia.
Now, he's back with my parents.

If I had my choice, depending on food quality and decor/atmosphere,
I'd pick Good Fortune. I've been to so many different restaurants, and still
always come back because I get so disappointed everywhere else. Of course,
this is all just my own opinion.

Happy eating,
Joanna.

Dagwood splits the Atom

Apr 29, 1992, 11:46:18 AM4/29/92
In article <1992Apr29.1...@wam.umd.edu> joa...@wam.umd.edu (Joanna Gail Mon) writes:
> If you don't mind a bit of soliciting....my parents left my aunt and
>uncle at Tung Bor and went to open Good Fortune Restaurant (just up the
>street on University Blvd.) The head chef for main entrees was once our
>head chef at Tung Bor then he left to go to Fortune Restaurant in Virginia.
>Now, he's back with my parents.

I finally got around to trying Good Fortune two weekends ago, and I'd
rate it a very close second to China Chef, as the Wheaton joints go.
Took me a while to realize that that was where we were headed, since my
folks gave me the wrong directions and told me to look for the
"New World". The food is bolder at Good Fortune, but at the same time,
less consistent. The chrysanthemum tea (served with rock sugar) is the
beverage of choice. The pork-filled steamed buns were among the best
I've had. Several of their tofu items can't be had at other local
dim sum places, and very well prepared. The fried foods were very
disappointing that day, however.

Good Fortune is a much cozier restaurant than either Fortune or
China Chef, and the service is very good compared to the other two.
Well worth a trip if you're looking for something a tad different,
but Fortune is still my favorite.

-dave

--
David Hsu h...@eng.umd.edu "There you stand like a duck in a
U of Md Systems Research Ctr thunderstorm again - aren't you ever

Doug Mohney

Apr 29, 1992, 3:37:59 PM4/29/92
In article <1992Apr29.1...@wam.umd.edu>, joa...@wam.umd.edu (Joanna Gail Mon) writes:
> If you don't mind a bit of soliciting....my parents left my aunt and
>uncle at Tung Bor and went to open Good Fortune Restaurant (just up the
>street on University Blvd.)

> If I had my choice, depending on food quality and decor/atmosphere,

>I'd pick Good Fortune. I've been to so many different restaurants, and still
>always come back because I get so disappointed everywhere else. Of course,
>this is all just my own opinion.

Home cooking is always the best :)

Previous signature chastized by Canadian Grad Student who flayed the United
States as a bully from his bastion of free speech in Pittsburgh, PA.
Yes, fact IS stranger that fiction.
-- > SYS...@CADLAB.ENG.UMD.EDU < --