Good Mexican food?

Sheree L. Storm

Jun 5, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/5/95
Has anyone got a recommendation for GOOD Mexican food on the cheap and
cheerful side? I'm California have have found nothing to compare. Something
in VA/DC would be great.

Scott Day

Jun 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/6/95

Try Lalomita's on Capitol Hill. There are two actually. Lalomita's Dos
is on the 300 Block of Pennsylvania Ave, SE. The original Lalomita's is
around 11th and Penn, SE. Both have good food, good service, and
reasonable prices.

Ashok Shenolikar

Jun 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/6/95
In article <1196645...@csgi.com> Sheree_...@csgi.com (Sheree L. Storm) writes:
>Has anyone got a recommendation for GOOD Mexican food on the cheap and
>cheerful side? I'm California have have found nothing to compare. Something
>in VA/DC would be great.

There are a few good ones in Northern Virginia. Try:

Tres Amigos, 10900 Lee Highway near the intersection with Rt 50
El Torito in McClean in the Tysons Corner Shopping Center
El Grande in the Reston Town Center

All are crowded on weekends, and are reasonably priced.

Jan Visintainer

Jun 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/6/95
In article <1196645...@csgi.com>,

Sheree L. Storm <Sheree_...@csgi.com> wrote:
>Has anyone got a recommendation for GOOD Mexican food on the cheap and
>cheerful side? I'm California have have found nothing to compare. Something
>in VA/DC would be great.

My wife and I like El Cachito in Falls Church (on Washington Blvd.). This
restaurant is a small "hole in the wall" which serves up pretty good food,
most of it fairly authentic (we don't get tacos, burritos, etc. Instead
we tend to order such things as grilled goat, chicken mole, etc.). It's
pretty cheap, too, and they have a coupon in the Entertainment '95 book.

Dave

Lynne Ragazzini

Jun 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/6/95
In article <1196645...@csgi.com> Sheree_...@csgi.com (Sheree L. Storm) writes:
>Has anyone got a recommendation for GOOD Mexican food on the cheap and
>cheerful side? I'm California have have found nothing to compare. Something
>in VA/DC would be great.

I have to put in a good word for the Santa Fe Cafe in Rosslyn, VA.
The owner, Kip Laramie, also has a new place up the road a bit
called Sagebrush. More or less the same menu.

At lunch, it's a carry out place where you order at the counter and
then find a table. At dinner, they have a regular wait staff and
a more extensive menu. The portions are more moderate than what
you get at places like Rio Grande, and are much less expensive.
The other night, I had a Vidalia onion and green chile quesadilla
that was outstanding, priced at around $5. They have all the
regular tex-mex stuff, but their specials sometimes have more
exotic ingredients, such as the goat cheese and applewood smoked
bacon quesadilla.

Best of all, in addition to the cheap, good food, they have three
good beers on tap (currently Victory Amber, Potomac Ale, and
Tupper's Hop Pocket) and a cooler full of other good beer, such
as Sierra Nevada, various Dominion products, Rappahannock Red,
Negro Modelo, etc.

This is a cheap-eats place, and while the atmosphere is in no
way unpleasant, it's nothing special, either.

Located on Wilson Blvd., right next to the big metal sculpture.

Lynne

Greg Diamond

Jun 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/7/95
In article <1196645...@csgi.com>,
Sheree L. Storm <Sheree_...@csgi.com> wrote:
>Has anyone got a recommendation for GOOD Mexican food on the cheap and
>cheerful side? I'm California have have found nothing to compare. Something
>in VA/DC would be great.

Sorry. As an expatriate Angeleno, my experience is that even the Mexican
food here that people most enjoy would shame the chain restaurants in LA
if they served it. The Southwestern food (i.e. Red Sage) and the
nouvelle Spanish food (e.g. Jaleo) ranges up to great, though. If you
want the sort of food you can get at a taqueria, you can find that at
places like El Tazumel in Clarendon, but it won't compare to the really
good places in LA. Also, no one hear seems to realize that there should
be enough tequila in a margarita to give it almost a faint medicinal
quality. (Trust me, it's pleasant, once you learn how to drink it.)

--
<><><> "If fifty million people "The weak have one weapon --
Greg<> say a foolish thing, it the errors of those who

MGV7

Jun 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/7/95
if you are looking for "THE BEST" in Mexican food, I have the best answer
for you.
I know of a Mexican restaurant where not only the food is "GREAT", but
everything on the menu is prepared FRESH every day (no frozen or
left-overs).
People from California and even Mexico have said that this is the best
Mexican Restaurant they have ever seen. I know this because I was talking
with the owner one day about it. His name is CARLOS, and if you go there
ask for him at the door, and tell him that GIOVANNI from M.E.V. COMPUTERS
sent you there
and I'm sure he will take care of you. The prices arewonderful too.
On saturday nights he has some MARIACHIS play and sing Mexican music.
The name of the restaurant is "SIERRAS GRILL", don't mistaken this with
restaurants like Chichis or EL Torito or even Taco bell. They are not even
close.
This is real Mexican Food.
DIRECTIONS TO ESTAURANT:
1- take Beltway 495 to 95N.
2- exit on first exit towards Calverton
3- go about half mile, you will see a MCdonalds-EXXON-GIANT
4- turn right at the EXXON
5- go about 200 yards and you will see it on the right
it is actually located behind the GIANT shopping center.

ps. Tell him you saw my reccomendation on the INTERNET.

GOOD EATING!!!.............................GIOVANNI.

Alan Cibils

Jun 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/7/95
In article <1196645...@csgi.com>, Sheree_...@csgi.com says...

>Has anyone got a recommendation for GOOD Mexican food on the cheap and
>cheerful side? I'm California have have found nothing to compare.
Something
>in VA/DC would be great.

I like Guapo's at the Tenley-AU metro. The food is good and service
are very good and the prices are reasonable.

Alan

Brian J. Larkin

Jun 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/7/95
In article <3r3eig$k...@newsbf02.news.aol.com> mg...@aol.com (MGV7) writes:
>From: mg...@aol.com (MGV7)
>Subject: Re: Good Mexican food?
>Date: 7 Jun 1995 01:48:00 -0400

>if you are looking for "THE BEST" in Mexican food, I have the best answer
>for you.

Just a quick question about good, real, authentic, great, etc Mexican food:

The best Mexican food in Oaxaca is likely to be quite different from that in
say Merida which again is somewhat different that that served at Su Casa in
Acapolco.

Now, I wonder which is the authentic, real Mexican?

My point is that we distinguish between Northern Italian food and Southern
Italian cooking. We understand the distinction. The regional variations
in Italian cooking are real and meaningful.

Do we lump Mexican cooking into a single olla.

--

Brian J. Larkin
bla...@cpcug.org

ScottLHaas

Jun 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/8/95
We really like Tortilla Factory on Elden st. in Herndon. Very good
"traditional" and tex-mex. It is NOT a chain, but it should start one!

-SLH
Also, Scott...@SYMTEC.COM.
Scott Haas in lovely Herndon, VA
Check out http://www.digex.net/herndon!

Mike Cuthbert or Adam Cuthbert

Jun 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/8/95
If you're willing to go as far as Silver Spring, there's a place I enjoy
called "Mi Rancho" off Georgia Ave. at Cameron. It's just north from the
Metro a small bit and worth the trip.
mike

Edmond L Meinfelder

Jun 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/8/95
she...@gdss.grumman.com (Ashok Shenolikar) wrote:

> There are a few good ones in Northern Virginia. Try:

> Tres Amigos, 10900 Lee Highway near the intersection with Rt 50
> El Torito in McClean in the Tysons Corner Shopping Center
> El Grande in the Reston Town Center

Toritos closed replaced by another, just as awful, chain. Tres Amigos
sucks. I have heard so-so things about the place in Reston Town Center.
Ashok, you need to get out more. :)

--
Edmond L. Meinfelder Naval Research Laboratory
Kaman Sciences Corporation Research Networks, Connection Machine Facility

Ashok Shenolikar

Jun 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/8/95
In article <3r6shl$1...@cmiley.cmf.nrl.navy.mil> edm...@cmf.nrl.navy.mil (Edmond L Meinfelder) writes:

>Toritos closed replaced by another, just as awful, chain. Tres Amigos
>sucks. I have heard so-so things about the place in Reston Town Center.
>Ashok, you need to get out more. :)
>
>--

Thanks for the update. I have been following the thread and it
looks like some other places are worth trying.

Oliver Costich

Jun 9, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/9/95
she...@gdss.grumman.com (Ashok Shenolikar) wrote:

>In article <1196645...@csgi.com> Sheree_...@csgi.com (Sheree L. Storm) writes:

>>Has anyone got a recommendation for GOOD Mexican food on the cheap and
>>cheerful side? I'm California have have found nothing to compare. Something
>>in VA/DC would be great.
>>

>There are a few good ones in Northern Virginia. Try:

>Tres Amigos, 10900 Lee Highway near the intersection with Rt 50
>El Torito in McClean in the Tysons Corner Shopping Center
>El Grande in the Reston Town Center

>All are crowded on weekends, and are reasonably priced.

Tres Amigos is mediocre as is El Grande. El Torito is just plain
awful. "Mexican" food for people who really don't like Mexican food.

Rick Jansky

Jun 9, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/9/95
ScottLHaas (scott...@aol.com) wrote:
: We really like Tortilla Factory on Elden st. in Herndon. Very good

With all the responses this thread has received I cannot believe that
the above is the only (until now) plug for Tortilla Factory.

If Friday Night or Saturday go early or late. During "normal" dinner
hours the place is PACKED. We usually get take out when we know the
mob will be there.

Always full during the week at lunch time.

Have taken Californians (San Jose area) there and been given the big
thumbs up. Every Mexican food nut I know who has gone after I
suggeted it has had a very good experience.

Don't miss out. Go there today!!

/ /|
+---------------------------------------------------------------------+ |
| | |
| Richard J. Jansky (Rick) rja...@melpar.esys.com Falls Church, VA | |
| | |
| ... Leesburg traffic, | |
| Warrior 4-3-2-5-Victor turning Final, | |
| 3-5 Leesburg ... | |
| |/

Chris

Jun 9, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/9/95
In article <3ra683$3...@access4.digex.net>,
Chris <am...@access4.digex.net> wrote:
>There is an excellent "New Mexican" restaurant in DC, called Las Cruces.

Sorry, I forgot to say where it was. It's on U Street between 16th and
15th, where Zig Zag coffee used to be.

Chris

Chris

Jun 9, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/9/95
In article <3r8diq$a...@ra.nrl.navy.mil>,
Oliver Costich <cos...@itd.nrl.navy.mil> wrote:

>she...@gdss.grumman.com (Ashok Shenolikar) wrote:
>>>Has anyone got a recommendation for GOOD Mexican food on the cheap and
>>>cheerful side? I'm California have have found nothing to compare.
>>>Something in VA/DC would be great.
>>>There are a few good ones in Northern Virginia. Try:
>
>>Tres Amigos, 10900 Lee Highway near the intersection with Rt 50
>>El Torito in McClean in the Tysons Corner Shopping Center
>>El Grande in the Reston Town Center
>
>>All are crowded on weekends, and are reasonably priced.
>>
>Tres Amigos is mediocre as is El Grande. El Torito is just plain
>awful. "Mexican" food for people who really don't like Mexican food.

There is an excellent "New Mexican" restaurant in DC, called Las Cruces.
The cooking style is from the town of the same name in New Mexcio.
The Stacked enchiladas are awesome, especially with the hot green chili
sauce.
Beats El Torito like a rented mule.
Enjoy.

Chris Delaney
am...@digex.net

Brian J. Larkin

Jun 10, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/10/95
>There is an excellent "New Mexican" restaurant in DC, called Las Cruces.
>The cooking style is from the town of the same name in New Mexcio.
>The Stacked enchiladas are awesome, especially with the hot green chili
>sauce.
>Beats El Torito like a rented mule.

Sounds interesting...where is it located? What's it look like? Service?
etc.? (As an aside, Las Cruces is pronounced, in case anyone is interested,
Las Crew-sis. We used to get lots of interesting pronounciation from newly
arrived Easterners.)

Dario Capriotti

Jun 10, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/10/95
The Tortilla Factory in Herndon is good, but don't forget Don Pablo in
Fair Lakes and Manassas. DP is our fav place now. Love that Macho Salsa
sauce (HOT!) for dipping chips. Their veggie quesadillas can't be topped.

Cheers,

Dario
Dario Capriotti
igu...@gwis2.circ.gwu.edu

aescott

Jun 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/12/95
Have been followin the thread and noted the variety of tastes in
Mexican food of my fellow posters. Mexican food is like religion, best
left to each one to decide on the definition of "best". One of the more
pleasant places my family has been to is the Cactus Grill in the Aspen
Hill Shopping Center off Connecticut. Traditional items, like enchiladas,
are prepared with both red and green sauce, at your request. Specials
are always interesting. They do a nice fish - salmon is usually very tasty.
We've enjoyed going there off and on since they opened. Food is not firy,
but can be made so upon request. Nice atmosphere. Pleasant management
and staff. Last visit - early spring. Buen Provecho!

Amy Ruberl

Jun 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/12/95

Tia Queta in Bethesda has very good mexican food.

sorry I can't think of the address off the top of my head.

Amy R.
aescott (aes...@dc.infi.net) wrote:
: Have been followin the thread and noted the variety of tastes in

Kevin King

Jun 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/12/95
Well, being a native Texan, I like to think that I have fairly good taste when
it comes to a Tex-Mex place (no pun intended... I assure you.)

I would give Cactus Joe's in Germantown a shot. The portions are huge, tasty,
but a bit on the pricey side ($8-$12) for a mexican place. It is located on
118 and Middlebrook.

--
Kevin M. King
s98...@usuhsb.usuhs.mil

Flotsam

Jun 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/12/95
In article <blarkin.8...@cpcug.org>, bla...@cpcug.org (Brian J.
Larkin) wrote:

> >There is an excellent "New Mexican" restaurant in DC, called Las Cruces.
> >The cooking style is from the town of the same name in New Mexcio.

> > [snip]

> Sounds interesting...where is it located? What's it look like? Service?
> etc.? (As an aside, Las Cruces is pronounced, in case anyone is interested,
> Las Crew-sis. We used to get lots of interesting pronounciation from newly
> arrived Easterners.)
> --

Las Cruces is located on U street between 15th and 16th. It's on the
south side of the street (right side when coming from 16th). Stairs take
you down to below street level. The sign is pretty obvious.

I second the vote for this restaurant. It offers "New Mexican" style
cuisine (which means many dishes come smothered in green or red chile
sauce)...yum

-dan

. * . _ . . . | "Son, you got a panty on
' / \ ' . ' | yer head" - fr raising AZ
) ) / | \ Zz Zzz |--------------------------
( ( / | \ Z Zz | daniel...@jhuapl.edu
<\^%m/^=> / / \ \ |

Karen Tho

Jun 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/12/95
Not meaning to date myself, but I've been in the Herndon/Reston area for
some 18 years, and a while back, after trying Tortilla Factory, have never
been back! The food just was not good. Have they changed hands recently
(or somewhat recently), so I should try again?

Rob Pegoraro

Jun 13, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/13/95
In article <daniel_beeder-1...@f3cdeb.jhuapl.edu>,
daniel...@jhuapl.edu (Flotsam) wrote:

>Las Cruces is located on U street between 15th and 16th. It's on the
>south side of the street (right side when coming from 16th). Stairs take
>you down to below street level. The sign is pretty obvious.
>
>I second the vote for this restaurant. It offers "New Mexican" style
>cuisine (which means many dishes come smothered in green or red chile
>sauce)...yum

The sauce *is* good, but when I went there a few weeks ago the enchiladas
everybody at the table ordered came with only a dab of the green sauce on
the edge, much to our dismay. We had to ask for more. I take it that's not
the usual pattern?

Aside from that, great service. Suitably wacked-out decor too.

ro...@cais.com ====================================================

Rob Pegoraro Work address: pego...@washpost.com
Arlington, Va., USA But I'm speaking only for myself here

=============================== http://www.cais.com/robp/home.html

Bill Walsh

Jun 13, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/13/95

I've only been once, about four years ago, and I wasn't impressed. The
place was billed as the closest thing in Washington to Tucson/
Phoenix-style Mexican food, and while it was fine, it didn't distinguish
itself compared with Anita's or Enriqueta's or the other places I was
frequenting at the time. If I lived in Herndon, I'd go there often for
mediocre Mexican food; since I live on the Hill, I often go to La Lomita
for mediocre Mexican food.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: The place to go in the D.C.
area these days is Chevy's. Chevy's is the first place I've found to
really bridge the gap between the grilled-fajita school and the
"authentic" school. For the former, Cactus Cantina (best margaritas I've
ever had, BTW) and Rio Grande set the standard; for the latter, the
pickings are slim, but I'd probably go with El Tamarindo.

-- Bill
University of Arizona, Class of '84

Bill Walsh

Jun 13, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/13/95

On 9 Jun 1995, Chris wrote:

> In article <3ra683$3...@access4.digex.net>,

> Chris <am...@access4.digex.net> wrote:
> >There is an excellent "New Mexican" restaurant in DC, called Las Cruces.
>

> Sorry, I forgot to say where it was. It's on U Street between 16th and
> 15th, where Zig Zag coffee used to be.

Why, oh why, did Zig-Zag have to go?

Lynne Ragazzini

Jun 13, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/13/95
In article <3rif73$t...@newsbf02.news.aol.com> kare...@aol.com (Karen Tho) writes:
>Not meaning to date myself, but I've been in the Herndon/Reston area for
>some 18 years, and a while back, after trying Tortilla Factory, have never
>been back! The food just was not good. Have they changed hands recently
>(or somewhat recently), so I should try again?

I've always liked the Tortilla Factory, mainly for lunch. I don't think
it's the best food I've ever had, but it's good. Of course, I almost
always get the same thing, so maybe only the cheese enchiladas are good...
I like their salsa better than most, and the food's cheap.

On the subject of Anita's, the food's good enough while being consumed,
but I am always very, very sorry that I ate it. I'm done going there.

I'll throw a plug to Austin Grill, while I'm writing. Their food's
always good, but if you want to accompany your meal with Celis White,
go to the one on Wisconsin, not Old Town. Why they aren't serving
beer actually made in Austin at the Alexandria location, I am not
sure. I've asked. Even if the white doesn't go over that well, the
Pale 'Bock' and Golden probably would do okay.

Santa Fe Cafe still ranks number one on my list using the good food/
great beer matrix.

Lynne

Debra Young x4313

Jun 13, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/13/95
Sheree_...@csgi.com (Sheree L. Storm) writes:

>Has anyone got a recommendation for GOOD Mexican food on the cheap and
>cheerful side? I'm California have have found nothing to compare. Something
>in VA/DC would be great.

Try Tres Amigos in Fairfax near Route 50 and Route 29. I lived in California for a few years and know what you mean.

Ashok

Jun 13, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/13/95

Apparently you have not been following this thread since last week.
Some people thought Tres Amigos was 'yuk'.

mich...@relay.relay.com

Jun 14, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/14/95

In article <3rkn42$r...@moose.gdss.grumman.com>, she...@gdss.grumman.com(Ashok) said:
>>Try Tres Amigos in Fairfax near Route 50 and Route 29.
>

>Apparently you have not been following this thread since last week.
>Some people thought Tres Amigos was 'yuk'.

As another person who yesterday recommended Tres Amigos, I'll say that no,
I haven't been following this thread since last week. However, I also dare
say that "yuk" does not qualify as a review. Why didn't they like it? What
do they consider "good" Mexican food? The fact that some people didn't
like Tres Amigos in no way invalidates the opinion of those of us who do.
I find their food to be flavorful and reasonably presented. The service is
more than adequate.

By the way, another decent place is Finicky's on Old Courthouse Road in
Vienna, shortly before the intersection with Rt 123 when coming from
Gallows Road. I like their flautas.

Michael Johnson
Relay Technology, Inc.

Judith O'brien

Jun 14, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/14/95
>In article <1196645...@csgi.com>,

>Sheree L. Storm <Sheree_...@csgi.com> wrote:
>>Has anyone got a recommendation for GOOD Mexican food on the cheap and
>>cheerful side? I'm California have have found nothing to compare.
Something
>>in VA/DC would be great.

The best place I know of is Santa Fe Cafe in Rosslyn (of all places!)
across from the Safeway with the parking garage. It's more of a "New
Mexican" food and the chips (blue and white) they make themselves. The
lunch scene is a walk up and order deal - best bargain around. At dinner
there are menus and waitstaff and a much more festive atmosphere.

-
Judith O'Brien NDN...@prodigy.com

Ashok Shenolikar

Jun 14, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/14/95
In article <803155275...@relay.relay.com> mich...@relay.relay.com writes:
However, I also dare
>say that "yuk" does not qualify as a review.
>Relay Technology, Inc.

"yuk" was the word I used, instead of the original 'S--' word. As a
matter of fact I was the one who had recommended Tres Amigos and Rio
Grande (Reston) at the beginning of the thread. Some like them
others don't.

mich...@relay.relay.com

Jun 15, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/15/95

I've been told by another former Finicky's patron that they are out of
business now. :-(

..mj

Edward Rice

Jun 15, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/15/95
KT> From: kare...@aol.com (Karen Tho)

KT> Not meaning to date myself, but I've been in the Herndon/Reston area
KT> for some 18 years, and a while back, after trying Tortilla Factory,
KT> have never been back! The food just was not good. Have they changed
KT> hands recently (or somewhat recently), so I should try again?

Maybe your standards are just impossibly high. I've been going there -- and
enjoying it virtually every time -- for about the same 18 years. Long ago, the
service was generally so-so but the food was good; and on recent visits, the
service has gotten MUCH better and the food is still good.

I do wish the salsa hadn't gotten so thin -- they seem to produce it with
greater consistency (so no more "Oh, gee, it's not spicy enough today"
complaints on every third visit) but it's no longer chunky and easy to scoop
up.

Rick Jansky

Jun 15, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/15/95
Dario Capriotti (igu...@gwis2.circ.gwu.edu) wrote:
: The Tortilla Factory in Herndon is good, but don't forget Don Pablo in

: Cheers,

Been there (DP), wasn't impressed, won't go back.

Long live Tortilla Factory.

Rick Jansky

Jun 15, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/15/95
Karen Tho (kare...@aol.com) wrote:
: Not meaning to date myself, but I've been in the Herndon/Reston area for
: some 18 years, and a while back, after trying Tortilla Factory, have never
: been back! The food just was not good. Have they changed hands recently

: (or somewhat recently), so I should try again?

Have been going for five (5) years and have never been disappointed.

Try again.

Foolishart

Jun 15, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/15/95
Any thoughts on The Alamo, Santa Fe East or South Austin Grill in Old Town
Alexandria?

Bill Walsh

Jun 15, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/15/95
fooli...@aol.com (Foolishart) wrote:
>Any thoughts on The Alamo, Santa Fe East or South Austin Grill in Old
>Town Alexandria?

The Austin Grills are pretty decent, though I'd place them a notch below
the exemplary Chevy's, Cactus Cantina and Rio Grande. The Austin Grills'
salsas aren't among the types I prefer, and their use of store-bought
chips really grates on me, though most people probably don't feel as
strongly about the issue. (The tortillas are also store-bought, I believe,
though I could be wrong about that -- it's been a few months.)

Also, I made the mistake on my first visit (to the D.C. location) of
ordering items that contained beef. It was the classic "taco meat" we
children of the '60s-'70s know so well: Ground beef in the Alpo tradition,
laced with cumin. Yuck. To be fair, this was in 1989 or 1990 and those
menu items may well have changed since then, but the place was getting
rave reviews even back then, and I must say that I, fresh off the
interstate from Phoenix, was disappointed in a major way.

On the bright side, the chicken fajitas are quite good, and if I'm not
very much mistaken I also had a good rendition of huevos rancheros there
(not an easy dish to find). The crab quesadilla is widely praised, and it
is quite good.

I'm dwelling on the negative only because the place is so darn popular and
critically praised, and there are plenty of good reasons for that. I'm
sure I will be back at some point, and I would definitely recommend at
least giving the place a try. And I'm sure Austi...@aol.com will give
you a slightly more flattering portrait :-).

-- Bill

Jessie Marshall

Jun 19, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/19/95
Ashok Shenolikar (she...@gdss.grumman.com) wrote:
: In article <3r6shl$1...@cmiley.cmf.nrl.navy.mil> edm...@cmf.nrl.navy.mil (Edmond L Meinfelder) writes:

: >Toritos closed replaced by another, just as awful, chain. Tres Amigos
: >sucks. I have heard so-so things about the place in Reston Town Center.
: >Ashok, you need to get out more. :)
: >
: >--
: >
: Thanks for the update. I have been following the thread and it
: looks like some other places are worth trying.
Try El Paso Cafe on N. Pershing Blvd. just off the intersection of N.
Pershing & N. Glebe (convenient from the Glebe exit on Rte. 50.) - Sorry,
it's in Arlington, VA. It's good, honest, non-chain Mexican with some El
Salvadorean thrown in. The clientele is about half and half Hispanic and
non-Hispanic. June is 1/2 price margarita month - you've got a few days left
to take advantage of it!

Ashok Shenolikar

Jun 19, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/19/95
In article <3s4gus$p...@pioneer.uspto.gov> jmar...@uspto.gov (Jessie Marshall) writes:

>Try El Paso Cafe on N. Pershing Blvd. just off the intersection of N.
>Pershing & N. Glebe (convenient from the Glebe exit on Rte. 50.) - Sorry,
>it's in Arlington, VA. It's good, honest, non-chain Mexican with some El
>Salvadorean thrown in. The clientele is about half and half Hispanic and
>non-Hispanic. June is 1/2 price margarita month - you've got a few days left
>to take advantage of it!

Thanks for the tip Jessie.

Karen Tho

Jun 21, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/21/95
Ed Rice writes on 15 Jun 1995:

> Maybe you're standards are just impossibly high....

No, I don't think so. We like El Grande in Reston Town Center, and while
there are several others in this thread who agree, I would venture to say
they wouldn't think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, either.

Maybe they just had some off nights when we visited Tortilla Factory, but
my party felt the way I did, that it just wasn't that great. I would try
again, but I'm not sure they would.

Patricia R. DeLuca

Jun 21, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/21/95
If you are looking for a good Southwest place to eat, it is worth the
trip to go to Lista's in Fell's Point in Baltimore. Absolutely the best
southwest food I have had this side of the Mississippi. Great atmosphere
too. Right on the water and decorated to the T. If you like something
that you see, chances are you can purchase it too, the owner is normally
there.

Zoe Nicole Seekins

Jun 22, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/22/95
I would highly recommend Mi Rancho, at 8701 Ramsey Ave, near the Silver
Spring Metro station. I've never been disappointed by the food or drinks,
although the service can be a little slow when they are busy. And when you
go at this time of year, sit outside! Its one of the few restaurants around
here where you can eat outside, and even though its in downtown Silver
Spring, its really nice. The patio is surrounded by bushes, so it is
pleasant to be outside. Also, there's lots of free parking right beside the
restaurant.

Zoe

KROBK

Jun 27, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/27/95
All are good restaurants, but I think I'd call them Tex-Mex rather than
formal mexican. The Alamo is very good...and with its open windows has a
great atomosphere at night.

Alberto Rivera

Jun 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/29/95
pan...@jhunix.hcf.jhu.edu (Zoe Nicole Seekins) wrote:

>I would highly recommend Mi Rancho, at 8701 Ramsey Ave, near the Silver
>Spring Metro station.

In my mexican opinion, the one and only real Mexican Restaunt is
"Enriqueta's" located in Georgetown, M St accros the street from "Four
Seasons Hotel" I have been eating there since I came from Mexico City
and never had been disapointed.

Alberto Rivera

Schnood

Jun 30, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/30/95
Every time this thread shows up I follow it religiously ... but never find
what I, and I think most of the pepole who restart the thread are looking for
... the nearest approximation of a good, downhome, East LA Mexican greasy
spoon. I am beginning to doubt there is one ... but I keep hoping.

If there are any ex-Angelenos <or Orange county types> who have found a
reasonable facsimile of the local greasy spoon or tortilla factory ...
Please let the rest of us know about it.

My husband just reminded me that I should include San Diego & Tijuana in
the list of places with the style of cooking we are looking for.

And another thought ... is there anything resembling a Southern California
or Tijuana panderia with pan dulce in the area? Would be willing to drive
a fair distance.

Final thought. In lieu of Southern California Mexican food ... any source
of the style of Mexican food found in the upper midwest <our experience was
in Illinois>? Different than California ... potatoes in tacos ... but good.

Dale Shipp

Jul 1, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/1/95
-=> On 06-30-95 15:57, Schnood <=-
-=> spoke to All about Re: Good Mexican food? <=-

I know that this is "DC.DINING" and not Baltimore, but if you are
willing to travel to the north, then I can give you a recommendation for
a Mexican restaurant that is definitely *NOT* the typical Chi-Chi, El
Torito type of American Tex Mex. We ate there once with a group and
really enjoyed it.

Name is El Taquito Mexicano. Location is 1744 Eastern Ave, Baltimore.
Phone is (410) 562-7840.

It looks like (and is ) a little hole-in-the-wall type of place. It
would help if you spoke spanish.

I had Pollo Adobudo, a vinegary marinated chicken dish. ($5.50). My
wife had Biftec a la Mexicano, a thin pounded beef steak with onions,
tomatoes and green chopped chiles ($5.50). Both dishes were very good
and unlike anything we have had at any other mexican restaurant. Some
of the other menu items are:
Burritos, tostadus de Pollo, sopes, enchillados, quesadillas de queso,
chilles rellenos, carne enchillada con guacamole, and many other things
that I cannot read from the carry out menu we brought home.

One word of warning -- their green avocado sauce is *HOT*. One of the
people we were with had an egg dish with that on the side, and just
about burned herself out.

Give it a try. You might enjoy it. You won't spend much.

Then after you are there, you might want to check out the Mexican
grocery store that is about 3 doors up towards Broadway.

da...@mbbs.com
(1:261/1137.0)

... Shipwrecked on Hesperus in Maryland. 13:27:42 01 Jul 95
___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12

Gregory H. Gust

Jul 1, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/1/95
Alberto Rivera (Rivera_...@aac.com) wrote:
: In my mexican opinion, the one and only real Mexican Restaunt is

: "Enriqueta's" located in Georgetown, M St accros the street from "Four
: Seasons Hotel" I have been eating there since I came from Mexico City
: and never had been disapointed.

Well, I'll accept that recommendation! I think Enriqueta's is related to
Mixteca on the SE corner of 18th and Columbia Road in Adams Morgan. I
think Enriqueta is the nicer-atmosphere of these sister restaurants. Is
this right?

--
Greg Gust <gr...@clark.net>

"[Baseball] breaks your heart. It is designed to break your heart. The
game begins in the spring, when everything else begins again, and it
blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as
soon as the chill rains come, it stops, and leaves you to face the fall
alone."

_The Green Fields of the Mind_, A. Bartlett Giamatti (1938-1989)

Peter Pulsifer

Jul 2, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/2/95
In Article <3s9b81$5...@dynamic.umd.edu>, del...@Glue.umd.edu (Patricia R.
I second the recommendation. Lista's is better than anything in DC.
My only quibble with them is that they don't seem to know what they mean
in calling themselves a "New Mexican" restaurant.
They seem to think it's the state of New Mexico, but their food strikes
me as being plain Old Mexico. But any name, it's good!
-Peter Pulsifer

Rob Pegoraro

Jul 3, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/3/95
Bouncing back to D.C., La Fonda, at 1639 R Street NW, is worth checking
out. I went there for the first time a few weeks ago on the recommendation
of a friend and am glad I did. The menu covers all the usual bases; I had
the carne asada (about ten bucks, as I recall), which was done with much
more subtlety of flavoring than I would've gotten at a
quantity-over-quality place like Rio Grande. Great margaritas too. Had I
had more cash on hand that evening, I would've stayed for dessert, but I
didn't so I guess I'll have to visit again :)

Rob

ro...@cais.com ====================================================

Rob Pegoraro Work address: pego...@washpost.com
Arlington, Va., USA But I'm speaking only for myself here

=============================== http://www.cais.com/robp/home.html

Ted Samsel

Jul 3, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/3/95
Re: the hot guacamole.... it porbably wasn't guacamole, it was probably a
tomatillo or all chile salsa.

And a good San Antonio style panaderia (bakery) with pan dulce would be
great.... maranitos (ginger pigs) & campechanas & empanadas de camote.

buen provecho!
--
Ted Samsel....tejas@infi.net
"driving a Hudson Hornet on the disinformation triple bypass:

Carl Wischhusen

Jul 5, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/5/95
I've always found Lauriol Plaza (18th and S, NW) to have excellent
Mexican/Spanish cuisine. I especially liked the Masitas de Puerco, and
there is also a chicken dish with onions that's very good (I forget what
it's called).

Chrise Dean

Jul 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/6/95
Schnood (cdjw...@access2.digex.net) wrote:
: Every time this thread shows up I follow it religiously ... but never find

: what I, and I think most of the pepole who restart the thread are looking for
: ... the nearest approximation of a good, downhome, East LA Mexican greasy
: spoon. I am beginning to doubt there is one ... but I keep hoping.

: Final thought. In lieu of Southern California Mexican food ... any source

: of the style of Mexican food found in the upper midwest <our experience was
: in Illinois>? Different than California ... potatoes in tacos ... but good.

If you like potatoes in your mexican food, try El Tamarindo in Adams-Morgan.
The food is good, cheap, and plentiful, and the Margaritas aren't bad either.
They're also open very late. Minuses: slow service.

However, I personally don't like potatoes in my tacos or enchiladas (especially
when it's not mentioned on the menu!) -- It may be a valid ingredient, but
I think the restaurant is pulling a fast one.

MHO, of course!

chris dean
cd...@site.gmu.edu

SPierre

Jul 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/6/95
cdjw...@access2.digex.net (Schnood) wrote:
> looking for... the nearest approximation of a good, downhome, East LA

>Mexican greasy spoon. I am beginning to doubt there is one ... but I
keep >hoping.

There is one place in the area you can get LA-style greasy (and delicious)
tacos. It is a little food vendor wagon (the type that sell boring hot
dogs downtown) that can be found on Saturdays just off Route 50 in
Arlington (I can't remember the cross street, but it is the street that
goes directly into the military base main gate).

While I can attest to the tacos, I'm not sure the local health department
can! But who cares, it's delicious! If you try it, let us know what you
think.

S. Pierre Paret
Washington, D.C. "Through Reason, or By Force."
spi...@aol.com

Oliver Costich

Jul 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/7/95
spi...@aol.com (SPierre) wrote:

That's Pershing St.

Rob Pegoraro

Jul 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/7/95
In article <3tgogs$1...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, spi...@aol.com (SPierre) wrote:

>cdjw...@access2.digex.net (Schnood) wrote:
>> looking for... the nearest approximation of a good, downhome, East LA
>>Mexican greasy spoon. I am beginning to doubt there is one ... but I
>keep >hoping.
>
>There is one place in the area you can get LA-style greasy (and delicious)
>tacos. It is a little food vendor wagon (the type that sell boring hot
>dogs downtown) that can be found on Saturdays just off Route 50 in
>Arlington (I can't remember the cross street, but it is the street that
>goes directly into the military base main gate).
>
>While I can attest to the tacos, I'm not sure the local health department
>can! But who cares, it's delicious! If you try it, let us know what you
>think.

Somebody who's actually tried that! You are a brave soul indeed, although
I've pondered the issue myself biking past that intersection. I think the
cross street you're talking about is 7th St. N., in front of Fort Meyer as
you describe.

This is only on Saturdays? That seems odd.

Eric Litman

Jul 14, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/14/95
Amy Ruberl (rub...@gwis2.circ.gwu.edu) wrote:

# Tia Queta in Bethesda has very good mexican food.
# sorry I can't think of the address off the top of my head.

Tia Queta is fair, but for more California-style Mexican I had a very
nice experience at the Mexican place in the Bethesda Holiday Inn. The
name escapes me as I've only been there once, but as one who eats
Mexican 3 days out of 7 (prepared personally and exploring various
resteraunts), I would definitely recommend this place.

--
Eric A. Litman Internet Technology vox: 301.587.0600
eli...@nxstep.com and Marketing Consulting pag: 800.570.4400