3D Printer for the masses... Can Dayton Diode buy one of its own?

J. Simmons

Dec 12, 2011, 10:38:02 AM12/12/11
to dayton...@googlegroups.com
Guys,

I am not always the biggest fan of passing the hat around the group as a means of raising funds for projects, etc, but in this case I thought I would make an exception.  Right from the beginning, we have said we wanted a 3D printer, but even a MakerBot (http://store.makerbot.com/ - it's $1100) is currently out of our price range.  Well, I just heard about a KickStarter to make a truly affordable 3D printer; $500 for the entire kit, and it's designed to be built in about an hour.  Oh, and it is planned to be upgrade-able, so users can get in at the entry level price and expand its size when they are ready (both in terms of in skill and money).

There's only 5 days left in the KickStarter, so we would have to act quickly if we want to make a pledge and get one (the way KickStarter works is you pledge at different levels and get rewards for backing the projects - in this case, if we back the printer before the end of the KickStarter at the $499 level, the reward is one of the kits to build the printer).  What do people think?

 -J

Joshua Stults

Dec 12, 2011, 11:42:09 AM12/12/11
to dayton...@googlegroups.com

I'm in for $100

J. Simmons

Dec 12, 2011, 1:04:43 PM12/12/11
to dayton...@googlegroups.com
Awesome!  I can easily do $25 (I'm still waiting on a new stipend to kick in), and I could stretch to $50 if that is what it took to push us over the edge.

 -J

Dean Schrickel

Dec 12, 2011, 6:23:12 PM12/12/11
to dayton...@googlegroups.com
For this kind of dough, it will have to be named "The Dean Memorial 3D printer"

Dean Schrickel

Dec 12, 2011, 6:28:12 PM12/12/11
to dayton...@googlegroups.com
Call me at 836-7033 and let me know where do I send the dough? How do
I combine the contribution, (Joshua'a $100) to make the Total $500
contribution. I have paypal and I can make the additional
contribution, (about $400?)

J. Simmons

Dec 12, 2011, 6:36:57 PM12/12/11
to dayton...@googlegroups.com
Dean,

Thank you very much.  So, the donations are:

Dean = $374
Josh = $100
J. = $25

I propose we select a representative of the group (I nominate our treasurer, Josh) to go ahead and make the pledge on KickStarter for the $499 level, and then arrange to collect the funds asap.

Woot, let's hear it for a 3D printer!!!

 -J

Joshua Stults

Dec 12, 2011, 6:38:02 PM12/12/11
to dayton...@googlegroups.com

Dean,

You can just use the 'Donate' button on the right side of the daytondiode.org site.

So far Josh+J=125, so you'd need to pitch in $375 to cover the rest.  That seems like a lot for one person to shoulder (not that i'm complaining ; - )

Anybody else want to chip in some too?

First thing we print can be a little nameplate, we could call it "The Deanbot".

Dean Schrickel

Dec 12, 2011, 6:38:57 PM12/12/11
to dayton...@googlegroups.com
I can pledge the full amount and if it is accepted Josh can cough up
the $100 Ok?

J. Simmons

Dec 12, 2011, 6:41:27 PM12/12/11
to dayton...@googlegroups.com

Josh, should I just give my pledge through paypal, too?  Quick reminder, KickStarter uses amazon payments, not paypal, so the money will still have to go through someone's credit card.

-J

Dean Schrickel

Dec 12, 2011, 6:41:56 PM12/12/11
to dayton...@googlegroups.com
Call me at 836-7033 and let me know. I am ready to do the donation to
the place. I have been busy revitalizing these foreclosed houses and I
am almost finished with the last house. I just have to break up and
replace 5 sidewalks. I got the jack hammer ready!

Dean Schrickel

Dec 12, 2011, 6:50:32 PM12/12/11
to dayton...@googlegroups.com
Done this is for the printer, only!

Contributor:

Donations Coordinator:
Dean Schrickel
808 Bonnycastle
Englewood, OH 45322
United States

DMA - Dayton Diode
dayto...@gmail.com

This Payment will appear on your credit card statement as "PayPal *DMADAYTONDI"

Confirmation Number: 9P066630RH083680U Placed on Dec 12, 2011
Purpose Donation
amount
Dayton Diode $375.00 USD
Total Amount: $375.00 USD

Dean Schrickel

Dec 12, 2011, 6:55:20 PM12/12/11
to dayton...@googlegroups.com
I can put the $500 on my credit card and then you can return the $375
I just donated, Ok? Give the word and I will do it tonight! What is
the name of this outfit, "Fly by night 3D printers?

Dean Schrickel

Dec 12, 2011, 6:56:39 PM12/12/11
to dayton...@googlegroups.com
onation Details
Confirmation number: 9P066630RH083680U
Donation amount: $375.00 USD
Total: $375.00 USD
Purpose: Dayton Diode
Contributor: Dean Schrickel

Recipient information
Donations coordinator: DMA - Dayton Diode
Contact email: dayto...@gmail.com

Your confirmed address

Mailing information: Dean Schrickel

808 Bonnycastle
Englewood, OH 45322
United States

J. Simmons

Dec 12, 2011, 6:58:19 PM12/12/11
to dayton...@googlegroups.com

Since this is a Dayton Diode purchase, I would recommend Josh, as treasurer do the actual purchase, especially since you already made the donation.

-J

Dean Schrickel

Dec 12, 2011, 6:59:56 PM12/12/11
to dayton...@googlegroups.com
Tell him to hurry, some levels are already sold out!

J. Simmons

Dec 12, 2011, 7:10:41 PM12/12/11
to dayton...@googlegroups.com

Just double checked, the level we want has no limits.  We just need to get in before the end of the kickstarter in about 4 days.

I also just got off the phone with Josh.  He is traveling today, but will put the pledge through tonight or tomorrow.

-J

robotx...@gmail.com

Dec 12, 2011, 10:02:43 PM12/12/11
to dayton...@googlegroups.com
This is great it should help with membership

J. Simmons

Dec 12, 2011, 11:53:54 PM12/12/11
to dayton...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, every hackerspace needs 3D printers.  And I just made my donation for it brought Dayton Diode's PayPal account, so we should be good to go on the donations front.

-J

Joseph Mckibben

Dec 13, 2011, 6:36:44 AM12/13/11
to dayton...@googlegroups.com

Oh wow very cool.  I missed out on this whole conversation.

Dean Schrickel

Dec 14, 2011, 8:59:24 AM12/14/11
to dayton...@googlegroups.com
Did anybody order this thing or what!

J. Simmons

Dec 14, 2011, 9:02:43 AM12/14/11
to dayton...@googlegroups.com

Josh is traveling this week and has limited internet access but he told me over the phone he would get it ordered.  I will text him in a little while to check in (he is on the west coast so I don't want to wake him).

-J

Dean Schrickel

Dec 14, 2011, 9:07:08 AM12/14/11
to dayton...@googlegroups.com
I have been busy with my rental house. I have to re-flash the deck on
my other rental house on Southerly Hills. The time limit was just a
few days, I think. In the spring I will be looking for my third and
forth rental House
and then I'm done with the rental property business. Just wait until
they recover their value, I will triple my money!

Dean Schrickel

Dec 14, 2011, 9:10:51 AM12/14/11
to dayton...@googlegroups.com
I could just do this thing right now and be done with it. It only runs
till Saturday.

J. Simmons

Dec 14, 2011, 9:14:21 AM12/14/11
to dayton...@googlegroups.com

Please do not order it yourself.  What if Josh already ordered it and hasn't emailed the group yet?  I would hate for there to be a mix up like that.

I will make sure it gets handled today.

-J

Dean Schrickel

Dec 14, 2011, 9:15:04 AM12/14/11
to dayton...@googlegroups.com
I have an Amazon account, so I am just going to do it. Tell Josh to
hold off. This maybe
a disaster in the making. I can't believe assemble in 45 minutes!

J. Simmons

Dec 14, 2011, 9:17:59 AM12/14/11
to dayton...@googlegroups.com

Dean,

We all have amazing accounts.  That is no reason to jump the gun.  Let me be very clear on this. Do not order it.

I will make sure Dayton Diode gets it ordered today.

-J

Shawn Garrett

Dec 14, 2011, 9:18:15 AM12/14/11
to dayton...@googlegroups.com
If it runs till Saturday, isn't today only Wednesday?
Thank you,

Shawn Garrett

Dean Schrickel

Dec 14, 2011, 9:21:53 AM12/14/11
to dayton...@googlegroups.com
Ok, but I do get things done! You should see what I did to this
foreclosed house. It is so pretty, I hate to rent it out. I would love
to move in. I redid the bedrooms in hardwood flooring and they look
fantastic! I had to re sweat in all of the copper plumbing and re-do
the electric. I put a great chandelier in the landing, the house
really looks classy

J. Simmons

Dec 14, 2011, 9:22:12 AM12/14/11
to dayton...@googlegroups.com

Yeah, we have plenty of time.  There is no risk of not getting an order in.

I just sent Josh a text, I'll let everyone know when I hear back from him.

-J

J. Simmons

Dec 14, 2011, 9:25:12 AM12/14/11
to dayton...@googlegroups.com

I have no doubt you get things done.  Thanks for your patience.

-J

Dean Schrickel

Dec 14, 2011, 9:25:42 AM12/14/11
to dayton...@googlegroups.com
Amazon. not amazing. Well some of my accounts are pretty amazing!

J. Simmons

Dec 14, 2011, 9:41:45 AM12/14/11
to dayton...@googlegroups.com

Just heard from Josh.  He is ordering it this morning, and will send a note to the group when it is done.

-J

Joshua Stults

Dec 14, 2011, 9:59:30 AM12/14/11
to dayton...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 9:41 AM, J. Simmons <jed...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just heard from Josh.  He is ordering it this morning, and will send a note
> to the group when it is done.

Congratulations!

You are now an official backer of Printrbot: Your First 3D Printer.

Estimated delivery: Feb 2012

--
Joshua Stults
Website: variousconsequences.com

J. Simmons

Dec 14, 2011, 10:17:47 AM12/14/11
to dayton...@googlegroups.com

Woot!  Thanks Josh for getting the order in and to both you and Dean for providing the bulk of the funding.

-J

Dean Schrickel

Dec 18, 2011, 12:26:34 PM12/18/11
to dayton...@googlegroups.com
We need a software guru to help guide everyone else, perhaps do a class or demo?

Any software which correctly saves files in .stl format can be used
for DESIGN of print objects. Files in this format can then be opened
and printed in a user's program of choice for printrbot. Our
recommendation of ReplicatorG is not because it's the only program or
something we've developed. It's reliable and pretty easy to use
(especially for newbies). Like most things in the RepRap world, it's
out there free for people to use.

Innovations will certainly be coming, so users are encouraged to learn
more on their own about the "open source" culture (a welcoming,
cooperative, encouraging people-group, by and large) and keep on the
look out for new and better ways to do things, too.

Here are some additional notes on PRINTING with printrbot:

Personally, I tried repsnapper and wasn't a big fan, but it did work.
Then I tried Pronterface, and it worked well, but I had a tough time
getting it installed on my Mac (Lion), so I used it with Linux.
Pronterface is much easier on Windows, btw. All that is pretty geeky,
so a talented kid - Caleb Cotter (14 years old-- one of the members of
our development team) - fixed the hotend manual control issues people
were having with ReplicatorG ... so then he made a custom XML profile
for the Printrbot. We have guys running Windows, Mac, and Linux. It
all works. Forgive the inside-baseball talk ... if you haven't done
this before, ReplicatorG is probably the best bet.

On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 10:38 AM, J. Simmons <jed...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Guys,
>
> I am not always the biggest fan of passing the hat around the group as a
> means of raising funds for projects, etc, but in this case I thought I would
> make an exception.  Right from the beginning, we have said we wanted a 3D
> printer, but even a MakerBot (http://store.makerbot.com/ - it's $1100) is
> currently out of our price range.  Well, I just heard about a KickStarter to
> make a truly affordable 3D printer; $500 for the entire kit, and it's
> designed to be built in about an hour.  Oh, and it is planned to
> be upgrade-able, so users can get in at the entry level price and expand its
> size when they are ready (both in terms of in skill and money).
>
> Here's the link:
>  http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/printrbot/printrbot-your-first-3d-printer?ref=card
>
> There's only 5 days left in the KickStarter, so we would have to act quickly
> if we want to make a pledge and get one (the way KickStarter works is you
> pledge at different levels and get rewards for backing the projects - in

> this case, if we back the printer before the end of the KickStarter at the

> $499 level, the reward is one of the kits to build the printer).  What do
> people think?
>
>  -J

Joshua Stults

Feb 22, 2012, 9:17:37 AM2/22/12
to dayton...@googlegroups.com
Printrbot update.

Looks like the printrbot folks are in their new HQ and shipping the
lower-level kickstarter rewards. They hosted a RepRap meetup group
and some of the kickstarter backers in the group built their own
printrbot [1]. Sounds like they are still waiting on some of the
production parts to be delivered (heated build tables), so I'm
thinking they aren't going to make the estimated Feb delivery. In
update 19 they posted some printrbot build videos [2]. The previous
update was about the printable parts being up on Thingaverse [3].

[1] http://printrbot.com/home/2012/2/22/norcal-reprap-meetup-meets-at-printrbot-hq.html
[2] http://printrbot.com/home/2012/2/20/printrbot-update-19.html
[3] http://printrbot.com/home/2012/2/4/printrbot-files-in-the-wild.html