marketable inventory, blog layout changes

Joshua Stults

Jan 14, 2012, 1:17:05 PM1/14/12
to dayton...@googlegroups.com
One of the main points of discussion at the last business meeting (and
several before that) was getting serious about our corporate
membership and/or marketing sponsorship program. Angus did a great
job of putting together and presenting a "straw man" program for us to
discuss. Among the first steps we talked about was taking inventory
of our ad space. The pics attached to this message show ad space in
"hot spots" for our site [1]. Any feedback on placement/design
adjustments greatly appreciated.

After looking at our layout, a good way to think about the inventory
is "site ads" (d8ndiode_adinventory_home.png) and "page ads"
(d8ndiode_adinventory_post.png). The page ads could be somewhat
similar to the "mailings" concept in the straw man.

An ad banner across the header of the site under the buildings, but
above the link bar is possible too [2]. It takes a bit more css
hacking than I'm competent to do successfully (so far all I've managed
is a big blank rectangle in the correct position). If you've got some
more web/html skills and the time to devote, please take a look at the
page template [3].

[1] http://support.google.com/adsense/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1354747
[2] http://www.bloggersentral.com/2010/05/add-banner-or-search-box-in-blogger.html
[3] https://gist.github.com/1612306

--
Joshua Stults
Website: variousconsequences.com

d8ndiode_adinventory_home.png
d8ndiode_adinventory_post.png
blog_layout.png

Joshua Stults

Jan 16, 2012, 10:13:56 AM1/16/12
to dayton...@googlegroups.com
Screenshot of left-side bar example ad attached; also demo'ing live on the site.
d8ndiode_left_sidebar.png

J. Simmons

Jan 16, 2012, 10:27:34 AM1/16/12
to dayton...@googlegroups.com
Josh,

This is great work.  I think the layout over all seems less busy. A couple of questions/comments.  First, is there still a place where the membership Paypal button lives?  I know we got feedback about having it on the sidebar, and I agree with moving it somewhere else.  I expected to see it on the Membership page, but couldn't find it.  It might be a good idea to make one for each of the levels and put them in the list of levels with the description.

Also, which ad placement location do you want to put an ODE ad in, and what are its dimensions?

Thanks for keeping the ball rolling,

 -J

Joshua Stults

Jan 16, 2012, 10:42:53 AM1/16/12
to dayton...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 10:27 AM, J. Simmons <jed...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Josh,
>
> This is great work.  I think the layout over all seems less busy. A couple
> of questions/comments.  First, is there still a place where the membership
> Paypal button lives?  I know we got feedback about having it on the sidebar,
> and I agree with moving it somewhere else.  I expected to see it on the
> Membership page, but couldn't find it.

I added the paypal 'subscribe' script to the bottom of the membership
page too; it's also currently at the bottom of the right side-bar.
Think I should I nuke that one?

> Also, which ad placement location do you want to put an ODE ad in, and what
> are its dimensions?

I did a little ODE demo; pic attached, live on the site, bottom of
left side-bar. If you want to come up with something for that footer
area then I can get rid of the ugly google ads currently there.

d8ndiode_left_sidebar_button.png

J. Simmons

Jan 16, 2012, 11:05:32 AM1/16/12
to dayton...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I think we should nuke the paypal button on the bottom right.  It is probably not doing us any good (I was looking for it and could not find it).

In terms of ODE ad I have a few questions.  One, are we planning to rotate the images in the spaces you showed originally (where Adafruit and Wired are now) - can we even pull that off with the current setup?  Two,  is that footer area one of our intended advertising spaces?  Three, can you send out the dimensions for the current spaces you think will work?  Once we work out where we really want to place the ODE ad, and the size, I will send a note to Mach 30's graphic designer asking for an ad based on our new ODE logo.

Thanks,

 -J

Joshua Stults

Jan 16, 2012, 11:29:40 AM1/16/12
to dayton...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 11:05 AM, J. Simmons <jed...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, I think we should nuke the paypal button on the bottom right.  It is
> probably not doing us any good (I was looking for it and could not find it).

Done.

> In terms of ODE ad I have a few questions.  One, are we planning to rotate
> the images in the spaces you showed originally (where Adafruit and Wired are
> now) - can we even pull that off with the current setup?

I think to start out it would be easiest to keep them on "manual
rotation" (I just edit a bit of html to hotlink new pics from the
person who buys the space from time to time at their request). A bit
of javascript would let us automate that if the marketing sponsor has
a rotation in mind; that option might be a value add up-sell.

> Two,  is that
> footer area one of our intended advertising spaces?

That one was easier to get working than a banner across the top
(blogger+hacker limitations). I'm just throwing stuff up; looking for
feedback from you guys on "what sticks".

> Three, can you send out
> the dimensions for the current spaces you think will work?

For the side-bar spaces 125 to 140 pixels wide seems to work pretty
well; ~125 pixels tall for a small button (those amazon buttons on the
right sidebar are 125x125), ~600 pixels tall for a vertical banner.

Probably on the order of 1000 pixels wide for the footer, maybe 90 or
100 pixels tall.

For book/product review kinds of posts: the amazon text+image ads are
width=120, height=240. Haven't done anything with a post footer ad
yet.

Joshua Stults

Jan 16, 2012, 12:42:36 PM1/16/12
to dayton...@googlegroups.com
Right side bar; fat rectangle example attached.

Last one for a bit; please let the list know if you've got some
new/different/better ideas for layout/ad content. Thanks.

d8ndiode_right_sidebar_wide_button.png

Joshua Stults

Jan 16, 2012, 1:40:58 PM1/16/12
to dayton...@googlegroups.com
All the add stuff collected on the wiki page here:
http://daytondiode.wikia.com/wiki/Ad_Inventory

J. Simmons

Jan 16, 2012, 2:14:14 PM1/16/12
to dayton...@googlegroups.com
Great documentation of the work.  Thanks!