How do I install Dataverse in Windows OS?

Caesar Olima

Jan 8, 2013, 4:45:22 AM1/8/13
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
I am using a 64bit Windows 2008 OS and would like to try Dataserve. Has anybody tried the application on any other OS other than RedHat Linux or Mac OS X? I cannot seem to find any documentation on installation on Windows OS or any other OS for that matter. Your guidance will greatly be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Kinds regards,
Caesar Olima.

Manfredo Hopp

Jan 8, 2013, 4:40:08 PM1/8/13
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com

Hello Caesar, I just finished my installation on Windows 7, during that I took some notes, but really very crptyc, and worse of all in spanish.
So if you want to have a look into it, or ask some questions I attach that log.
Hope it helps!

Regards

Manfredo Hopp
PS: i'll try to make it readable in the meantime.
log instalacion.txt

Manfredo Hopp

Jan 8, 2013, 4:47:20 PM1/8/13
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com

I want to mention that this installation is made from source code.

Manfredo

Condon, Kevin

Jan 8, 2013, 5:21:00 PM1/8/13
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com

Hi Caesar,

We currently do not have an installation script for Windows and any installation would have to be manual. This should work and we have had users install it there but there is enough complexity that we cannot support it right now. For an idea of what is required, you can look at the steps taken by the installer: http://guides.thedata.org/book/b-what-does-installer-do

I saw Manfredo's post as well. He is the most recent person to install it on Windows and would have uncovered the issues. Feel free to continue to post your questions here.

Regards,

Kevin

Caesar Olima

Jan 9, 2013, 5:03:25 AM1/9/13
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hi Manfredo and everyone else,

I am trying to install this on a 32bit Windows 7 Pro, before I make an install in the production system, but no success yet. My processes have been
  1. Install Cygwin - to enable me to run Linux commands on Windows. Second thoughtsm, maybe this was unnecessary step altogether.
  2. I then installed the DVN pre-requiresites  - Java JDK 1.6, Glassfish 3.1.2 Application Server, PostgreSQL and R (also installed Rserve library).
  3. Install Perl (used ActiveState) - to run the install script which I think is written in Perl language. (To to the install file I issued the command perl install from the command line interface from the folder in which DVN was extracted)
On issuing the above command and providing the necessary details, I get the notification at the bottom of the attached file. Anyone with any info what I might have not done right? Thanks in advance for your input.

Kind regards,
Caesar Olima
DVNInstall.jpg

Philip Durbin

Jan 9, 2013, 8:14:13 AM1/9/13
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hi Caesar,

Thanks for sharing your progress.

pwd (from your screenshot) is certainly a Unix command. It stand for
"print working directory". It won't be available on Windows which is
why it says "not recognized". I'm sure Cygwin, which you mentioned,
installs pwd along with many other Unix commands.

You're right that the installer is written in Perl.

Can I ask what your immediate goals are? Do you hope to run the DVN in
production on Windows some day? (As Kevin mentioned, we cannot support
this right now.) For now, do you simply want your own fresh install of
DVN to play with? (If so, you might want to try my experimental
https://github.com/pdurbin/dvn-vagrant which should work on Windows,
though the DVN is installed on a CentOS VM running on your Windows PC
running VirtualBox.)

I hope this helps,

Phil
--
Philip Durbin
Software Developer for http://thedata.org

Terry Rowland

Jan 9, 2013, 8:16:08 AM1/9/13
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
In Perl, getpwnam returns a pointer to a structure containing the broken-out fields of the record in the password database (e.g., in *nix the local password file /etc/passwd, NIS, and LDAP) that matches the username name.  I assume you'd need to modify the installer script with a Win32 equivalent if you intend to continue by script.

-Terry Rowland

Caesar Kennedy Olima

Jan 9, 2013, 8:40:54 AM1/9/13
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hi Philip,

Thanks for explaining some of those hidden commands to me. I have been asked by the institution I am working for to look at Dataverse and set up a demo. I think this was an idea by some of the researchers at the institution who have probably worked with it elsewhere. Initially I thought I might have managed to install it in Windows environment without much issues but like has been mentioned before, this (Windows installer) is not supported yet.

I very much welcome the idea of testing the application on a VM. I think that will offer me a quick solution for giving a demo to the interested audience here. Thanks once again for your time and help.

Regards,
Caesar

Caesar Olima

Jan 14, 2013, 5:45:33 AM1/14/13
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hi Manfredo,

Have you managed to get your Windows installation process translated to English? I would really appreciate seeing the process as I am stuck and even left wondering if maybe I should install the application on another Linux flavour like Ubuntu Linux, don't know if this will work, but this might be the last resort I left with.

Caesar.

Philip Durbin

Jan 14, 2013, 2:02:18 PM1/14/13
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
I'd be curious to see Manfredo's notes on installing DVN on Windows,
even if they're still in Spanish.

Caesar, Linux is definitely the operating system we recommend in our
installer's guide. Specifically, the "system requirements" section
recommends a particular Linux distribution: Red Hat Enterprise Linux
(RHEL) because that's what we run in production.

RHEL costs money, however, so I would recommend trying to install DVN
on CentOS, which is a free rebuild of RHEL.

Also, if you have any trouble installing the DVN software, you are
welcome to open a support ticket by emailing
dvn_s...@help.hmdc.harvard.edu . We can always summarize our
progress for this mailing list later.

Please see the DVN Installer's Guide for details:

http://guides.thedata.org/book/installers-guides

I hope this helps,

Phil

Caesar Kennedy Olima

Jan 15, 2013, 4:19:52 AM1/15/13
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hi Philip,

Thanks for taking your time to go through the issues. Thank you too for the recommendations on getting DVN up and running. I had had a look at the installation procedures and requirements and have consequently passed on this information to the folk at the institution I work with.

I would be taking the path of installing CentOS and trying DVN on such set up and let you guys know how I fair on.

Philip Durbin

Jan 15, 2013, 10:07:54 AM1/15/13
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Great! Please keep us posted, Caesar!

Phil

Manfredo Hopp

Jan 24, 2013, 8:33:36 AM1/24/13
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Caesar, quick ansewer to your question since I am on holliday. I transferred translation issue to the group which will be working with DVN. I'll ask them when I return, and send you some news.

Manfredo

Manfredo Hopp

Jan 24, 2013, 8:44:30 AM1/24/13
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Caesar, quick answer since I am on holliday these days. I transferred the translation task to the group that will be working with DVN. On return I ll send you more news.
Regards Manfredo

El lunes, 14 de enero de 2013 07:45:33 UTC-3, Caesar Olima escribió:
Message has been deleted

Condon, Kevin

Feb 20, 2013, 11:08:34 AM2/20/13
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com

Hi Caesar,

Database tables are first created by deploying the application war file, DVN-web.war. Once this is deployed, you should then run the referenceData script, then restart glassfish. That should resolve the issue.

Please be aware there is a lock file that prevents creating a new EJB_TIMER_TBL once created. If for some reason you change databases, you need to remove this zero length lock file and restart glassfish.
The lock file is located here: /glassfish3/glassfish/domains/domain1/generated/ejb-timer-service-app .

To deploy a war file, run the following command as the same user that glassfish is running under, most likely root:
/glassfish3/bin/asadmin deploy --force DVN-ear.war

Regards,

Kevin

From: Caesar Olima <caesar...@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 01:33:27 -0800
To: <dataverse...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: How do I install Dataverse in Windows OS?

Dear Users,

I have tried to manually install DVN on Windows platform by installing PostgreSQL, Glassfish( and RServe will configure the application to use this later once I can get it running) individually. In in my attempt to configure the database I get stuck on running the referenceData file. Where in the file does the database tables get created? Can anyone point me so I can run the tables' creation script manually and then run the updates on referenceData?

Regards,
Caesar

Manfredo Hopp

Feb 21, 2013, 9:45:53 AM2/21/13
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Cesar; kevin: as I stated on my windows installation log:

9. from postgre 8.2+ yoou require,

GRANT USAGE, SELECT ON SEQUENCE studyid_seq TO PUBLIC;

10.problem with primary key when adding a file to a study:

- copy files dvninstall/working_directory a config del glasfish

- copiar web-core.jar a lib del glassfish. (patch para glassfish 3.2)

Regards Manfredo