Please move to the action groups

Elias Bizannes

Jan 31, 2008, 5:21:43 AM1/31/08
to DataPortability Workgroup
Hi all,

Could all workgroup members please continue the discussion on the
newly created steering action group.

Key difference between the steering action group and the workgroup
- action groups are open to the public to join, contribute and have a
say. Previously, members of the workgroup were added based on a
nomination from another workgroup member
- the steering group is specifically designed to set the strategy and
the structure of the overall DataPortability project. It is also the
central place where representatives of other action groups, and
external stakeholders - such as those from standards bodies or
companies claiming to support DataPortability - can share and make
representations. Discussions outside of these areas are covered by the
other action groups.

In essence, we have increased transparency on who can influence
DataPortability, and we have split this massive project into parts, to
reduce the amount of noise in the mailing lists. Additionally,
previous frustrations from the pre-2008 workgroup, was that different
people wanted to do different things - by splitting the functions up,
you can collaborate with likeminded people on the areas that interest
you.

If you are in the workgroup representing your company or a standards
body, you should join the steering group. Developers are encouraged to
join the technical and implementation groups. Marketers and bloggers
should join the evangelism group. And the intellectuals wanting to
discuss user's data rights should head over to the policy group.

And on that note, I leave you with the first monthly status report of
the DataPortability project in case you missed it, which is aimed at
keeping everyone in the loop of our progress:
http://groups.google.com/group/dataportabilityactionevangelism/web/the-dataportability-report-january-2008

Regards,
Elias