PROPOSAL>> Video Responses - What does DataPortability Mean to you?

danielabarbosa

Jan 15, 2008, 9:27:38 PM1/15/08
to DataPortability.Public.General
I was super impressed with Michael Pick's Video on DataPortability
that has been circulating today and was posted on the discussion board
earlier. If you have missed it please make sure you check it out:
http://www.vimeo.com/610179/

Obviously video is hot and it is a great way to get the word out.
Remember what the The Machine is Us/ing Us did for Web 2.0? Over
4million people have seen it and are one step closer to understanding
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gmP4nk0EOE

So, If you think about one of the main buzz machines that happened
around data portability you probably get referenced Robert Scoble's 'I
got kicked out of Facebook' video on Seesmic
http://www.seesmic.com/Standalone.html?video=4fBjAGYLW5 and there are
others.

For example someone forwarded me Tom's personal video of what Data
Portability means to him http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TupCZY09Kwc&NR=1

So.....Since video has been so effective - and it seems like everyone
would like to discuss our goals and plans for DataPortability perhaps
we should all respond with video.

PROPOSAL:

Record a video - introduce yourself and explain your hopes and ideas
for DataPortability - make the video no longer than 1 minute

At the end, please say 'I am [Name] and I want Data Portability'

Post a link to this thread with your video

ALSO ***PLEASE*** Tag your connect with the following tag:
DataPortabilityAndMe

I will get some up myself but here is an early Dec 2007 video i made
as a joke on joining the Data Portability Workgroup:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8_9f3bLL80

mikehedge

Jan 15, 2008, 11:48:48 PM1/15/08
to DataPortability.Public.General
great idea.

On Jan 15, 6:27 pm, danielabarbosa <danielaVbarb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I was super impressed with Michael Pick's Video on DataPortability
> that has been circulating today and was posted on the discussion board
> earlier. If you have missed it please make sure you check it out:http://www.vimeo.com/610179/
>
> Obviously video is hot and it is a great way to get the word out.
> Remember what the The Machine is Us/ing Us did for Web 2.0? Over
> 4million people have seen it and are one step closer to understandinghttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gmP4nk0EOE
>
> So, If you think about one of the main buzz machines that happened
> around data portability you probably get referenced Robert Scoble's 'I
> got kicked out of Facebook' video on Seesmichttp://www.seesmic.com/Standalone.html?video=4fBjAGYLW5and there are
> others.
>
> For example someone forwarded me Tom's personal video of what Data
> Portability means to himhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TupCZY09Kwc&NR=1

Ahmed

Jan 16, 2008, 6:29:15 AM1/16/08
to DataPortability.Public.General
Hi, I'm Ahmed, a Management & Technology College student, E-Commerce
major at the Arab Academy for Science & Technology & Maritime
Transport in Egypt

I wasn't able to record or upload a video because of some bandwidth
problems, so here's my video in text format.

I think data portability needs a user interface.

There should be an interface for users to control which data goes to
whom, because not everyone would want all his Facebook or Digg info by
example to go to Flickr, and vice, because my contacts at each service
my differ and according to the business or non-business relation
between them, I would want them to know about me some specific info
only, so that's not a restriction as much as it's a safety layer, that
users must have the ability to choose what they want to give to each
account, the DataPortability will be available, but under each user's
vision,, and I think that would be much easier & less complicated than
uploading the data all over again

Anyway, I suggest that there should be a master DataBase that contains
all the users info, and become responsible of giving it to all the
other accounts and controlling them, that would reduce the traffic for
sure, and prohibit the ability of creating fake info on an account and
giving it to all the others, so if someone takes over of an account,
he won't be able to reach the others, though only the Master DP
account is the only allowed account to give the info to other accounts
and users should have the ability to control the master account from a
website or through other accounts but by entering the master account's
password or whatever security gate.

Hi, I am Ahmed, and I wabnt DataPortability :)

On Jan 16, 4:27 am, danielabarbosa <danielaVbarb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I was super impressed with Michael Pick's Video on DataPortability
> that has been circulating today and was posted on the discussion board
> earlier. If you have missed it please make sure you check it out:http://www.vimeo.com/610179/
>
> Obviously video is hot and it is a great way to get the word out.
> Remember what the The Machine is Us/ing Us did for Web 2.0? Over
> 4million people have seen it and are one step closer to understandinghttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gmP4nk0EOE
>
> So, If you think about one of the main buzz machines that happened
> around data portability you probably get referenced Robert Scoble's 'I
> got kicked out of Facebook' video on Seesmichttp://www.seesmic.com/Standalone.html?video=4fBjAGYLW5and there are
> others.
>
> For example someone forwarded me Tom's personal video of what Data
> Portability means to himhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TupCZY09Kwc&NR=1

Elias Bizannes

Feb 4, 2008, 3:53:34 AM2/4/08
to DataPortability.Public.General, dataportability...@googlegroups.com
Hi evangelists,

Can we pick this up?

This was a brilliant idea suggested by Daniela because we can consult
with people on things that will help us set a direction for the
future. We need to get out there, with the vendors, standards groups,
decision makers and the average consumer explaining where they see
value in the project or what they are concerned about. I've got no
idea what we the theme of these videos should be, but the point is we
start engaging with the community and getting their views.

Now that the evangelism action group has well and truly got its act
together, might be worth putting this back on the radar. What priority
should we make this?

(posted in DP Public where the original thread is, and x-posted in the
evangelists action group)

Chris Saad

Feb 5, 2008, 12:41:04 AM2/5/08
to DataPortability.Public.General
Hi everyone

This actually came up at SG Foo Camp 08 - In fact someone in the room
(I can't remember exactly who but I think that most in the room
agreed). The suggestion, however, was to limit the video to specific
questions - so here they are:

The plan is (with huge thanks to the Evangelism Action Group):

We are asking the community to compose a video interview with
themselves and release them under creative commons. We hope to promote
these videos individually as well as compile them into a video to help
the community understand expectations, goals and themes that are
emerging in the discussion.

Here are the questions we'd like the interviewees to answer.

* What does DataPortability mean to you?
* How do you imagine DataPortability might change the way you use
the web?
* How would you explain the value of DataPortability to Vendors -
those that store the data.
* How would you explain the value of DataPortability to Users -
those that create and own the data.
* Ideally, what would you like to see from the DataPortability
Project in the next 12 months? 24 months?
* What else would you like to say? Make up a question and answer
it!
* Finally, if you agree with the sentiment, please say "My name is
[your name] and I want Data Portability" at the end of your video.

If you can, please try to limit the video to a maximum of 5 minutes.

We'd like to compile these for February 20th. If you would like to
join the other vendors, standards advocates and bloggers, please let
me know and get me a video before then.

To submit the video, please post it to one of the video sharing sites
and tag it 'DataPortabilityAndMe'

Look forward to seeing the responses!

Cheers,

Chris

Deepak Singh

Feb 5, 2008, 1:26:55 AM2/5/08
to DataPortability.Public.General
This is a great idea. I hope to record at least one video and perhaps
a screencast by this weekend. Good way to start some tangible
contributions.

Chris Saad

Feb 5, 2008, 3:37:32 AM2/5/08
to DataPortability.Public.General
Just to clarify - Tantek reminded me that at FOO camp it was Chris
Messina's suggestion to limit the video to 5 questions to help focus
the discussion.

Chris

On Feb 5, 4:26 pm, Deepak Singh <mnd...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This is a great idea. I hope to record at least onevideoand perhaps

marc canter

Feb 6, 2008, 1:09:49 PM2/6/08
to dataportabi...@googlegroups.com
Is there anything else that happened at the exclusive FOO Camp that you'd
like to share with this open community - Chris?

Afterall - I could have sworn the notion of Open - sort of contradicts
private, closed door exclusive Tim O'Reilly fests.

So there are all sorts of peeps who are wondering.....

WTF?

Stephane Daury

Feb 6, 2008, 2:32:57 PM2/6/08
to DataPortability.Public.General
I'd probably suck at such a self-interview, but I've submitted the
idea to a few local friends who I think would bring more value than I
can.
Message has been deleted

Elias Bizannes

Feb 6, 2008, 8:16:16 PM2/6/08
to DataPortability.Public.General
> Is there anything else that happened at the exclusive FOO Camp that you'd
> like to share with this open community - Chris?

Marc - I couldn't care less about the conversation Chris had at these
exclusive camps. Having said that though, that hasn't stopped people
tweeting, blogging, and blowing smoke fumes in the air about it:
http://technorati.com/search/foo+camp?authority=a4&language=en

What matters in the thousands of conversations, is that people post
the outcomes. We do that in the action groups; and Chris posted an
outcome from his conversations.

So what's the problem?

Gabriele Lelli

Feb 8, 2008, 11:21:59 AM2/8/08
to dataportabi...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

this is Gabriele from DP Localization Action Group. I think that video interviews is a great idea!
Can I suggest you to make translated versions of the videos? Perhaps with translated subtitles?
It can be helpful to spread the word and not limit it to fluent in English!

Great job. Bye,
Gabriele

marc canter

Feb 8, 2008, 1:58:44 PM2/8/08
to dataportabi...@googlegroups.com

Si si - Andiamo

Feb 13, 2008, 11:05:23 PM2/13/08
to DataPortability.Public.General
I've made my video response - have you? :)

http://www.particls.com/blog/2008/02/video-dataportabilityandme-chris-saad.html

Chris

On Feb 9, 4:58 am, "marc canter" <m...@broadbandmechanics.com> wrote:
> Si si - Andiamo
>
> _____
> On Feb 4, 6:53 pm, Elias Bizannes <mailto:elias.bizan...@gmail.com>

Jacob Chapel

Feb 19, 2008, 6:48:08 PM2/19/08
to DataPortability.Public.General
Due to popular demand, the EAG took consideration to extend the
deadline as awareness of the initiative is still occurring. It was
requested that more time be allocated to allow more people to
contribute. Consensus was reached by the EAG within the decision time
limit. The deadline has been extended until Monday 12 AM PST on 31
March 2008 and submissions will be recognised in the March DP status
report released later that day.

New Deadline: March 31st 2008 @ 12 AM PST

Jacob Chapel
http://dataportability.org
http://practicalportability.org

Daniel Lewis

Feb 22, 2008, 8:37:38 AM2/22/08
to DataPortability.Public.General
Oh dear, I feel like such a geek. Here is my dataportability video:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=oWfaoP1Ti2Q

Daniel Lewis
* Technology Evangelist at OpenLink Software
* http://www.openlinksw.com/
* My blog: http://vanirsystems.com/danielsblog/

John Breslin

Feb 22, 2008, 12:01:42 PM2/22/08
to dataportabi...@googlegroups.com
I did this two days ago:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Zh-4bRDmTd0

(Data Portability, Semantic Web and FOAF / SIOC.)

A colleague called it "Breslin's Subterranean Data-Portability Blues" ;)

The best video I've seen is by Charlie Perry:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=DNjg_ivN_Nc

John.

danielabarbosa

Feb 23, 2008, 1:29:33 AM2/23/08
to DataPortability.Public.General
Subterranean Data-Portability Blues- LOVE IT

Here you go- Bob got in on the action as well
http://www.dylanmessaging.com/messages/W52D-7MQ5-H5PM-9A6R-SMR1?commentor-name=daniela&commentor-email=danielavbarbosa%40gmail.com

danielabarbosa

Mar 10, 2008, 5:17:03 PM3/10/08
to DataPortability.Public.General

danielabarbosa

Mar 27, 2008, 11:55:15 AM3/27/08
to DataPortability.Public.General
Reminder this Video Response Project deadline is Monday 12 AM PST on
31 March 2008.

Everyone can certainly continue to produce videos about what
DataPortability means to them and are encouraged to do past the
deadline !

Once we gather all videos we plan to put together an aggregated video
of the highlights. We even have a contender for the DataPortability
song thanks to Charlie see the last min of this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNjg_ivN_Nc

Please continue to tag all videos 'dataportabilityandme'.

We will be scanning the web for all videos at the end of the month and
will post an aggregated list- but if you have a video that is not
listed above i would appreciate if you could post it on this thread.
thank you in advance!

Christian Scholz / Tao Takashi (SL)

Mar 31, 2008, 1:24:50 PM3/31/08
to dataportabi...@googlegroups.com
And finally here is my video:

http://mrtopf.de/blog/vlog/data-portability-and-mrtopf/

Wanted to post it earlier but internet broke down at the hotel when I was about to press "Upload" so it had to wait until I am home again.

Cheers!

Christian
--
Christian Scholz
Tao Takashi (Second Life name)

Company: http://comlounge.net
Tech Video Blog: http://comlounge.tv
IRC: MrTopf/Tao_T

alex

Mar 31, 2008, 2:04:45 PM3/31/08
to dataportabi...@googlegroups.com
my 2 cents:
http://alex.digns.com/what-dataportability-means-to-me/

alex.

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 5:55 PM, danielabarbosa
<daniela...@gmail.com> wrote:

Message has been deleted

Steve Repetti

Mar 31, 2008, 9:45:27 PM3/31/08
to DataPortability.Public.General
Grrrr....youtube switched out the address (thanks youtube!), please
try this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNqRZWXHNzE

- or -

http://www.youtube.com/zudetv

NOTE: the embedded Zude page hasn't changed:

http://www.zude.com/64908032413492554457

-- Steve Repetti, take 2...