Election announcement: official notice

Elias Bizannes

Mar 11, 2009, 7:46:03 PM3/11/09
to DataPortability.General
FROM: Elias Bizannes, DataPortability Project vice-chair
TO: DataPortability Project Members and Supporters
RE: Official Notice Of The Special Election - Steering Group

Since the notice by the Chair Daniela Barbosa on the 1 March 2009[1],
we have had seven people nominate themselves for the vacancy created
by the resignation of J. Trent Adams. Subsequent discussions with
Steering Group member Brett McDowell has revealed it is in the
interest of our organisation for him to use this opportunity to resign
as well, thereby creating an additional vacancy. This was announced by
him at yesterday's Steering Group member, and is effective
immediately.

The Chair has accepted the resignations as both men are taking new
roles in affiliated groups that would otherwise have created conflicts
of interest, although we are fortunate that they have agreed to remain
involved in our future work.

As the number of candidates exceeds the positions, an election will be
called. Further, notice for a call for candidates will be extended by
another week due to the additional vacancy created. The Chair has
appointed me as the returning officer for the election under section
4.10 of the by-laws, and I will now detail the process going forward
in accordance with our bylaws[2].

Further information will be communicated as it's required, but the
most important message to take from this is that
1) Nominations are still open to be a candidate.
2) Make sure you are a member of the plenary otherwise you miss out in
voting for candidates

---------------

IMPORTANT DATES
- Nominations will be open until the 15th of March (ie, you still have
an opportunity to nominate yourself or suggest someone).
- Voting will commence the following day on the 16th of March and will
be open for seven days (ie, final day of polling is the 23 March).
- The results will be announced once the votes have been validated by
a team led by me in that week and potential disqualifications cleared.

MAKE SURE YOU JOIN THE PLENARY ASAP
To be able to vote for this election, you must be a member of the
plenary. Further, to be eligible to vote in this election you must
join one week before voting opens (ie, no later than 10th March).
To become a member of the plenary, you simply need to post a message
to the dataportability-vote mailing list[3] (no fees or commitments
are expected from you by being a member). Our newly appointed
Secretary Steve Repetti will be able to answer any further queries
relating to the plenary, and I encourage you to join even if you do
not want to vote, as it gives your voice more authority in our
community.

TWO MAILING LISTS: ONE FOR FORMAL AFFAIRS, ONE FOR EVERYTHING ELSE
The dataportability-vote mailing list[3] is where you formally
nominate yourself for steering, join the plenary, and vote in the
election but otherwise the general mailing list[4] will be used for
general discussion surrounding the candidates.

By nominating yourself (or accepting someone elses nomination), you
will be expected to respond to any reasonable query by the community.
There will be no restrictions on what is discussed, and discussions
may occur immediately and do not have to wait until the actual voting
period.

If you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact me.

Regards,
Elias

[1] http://groups.google.com/group/dataportability-public/browse_thread/thread/e23ccb636e4345ea
[2] http://wiki.dataportability.org/x/OIAt