Position Posted: DataPortability Project Community Manager - Volunteer

danielabarbosa

Oct 23, 2008, 2:46:02 AM10/23/08
to DataPortability.General
As the DataPortabilty Project grows and continues to gain momentum
with users, vendors and developers we need to continue to enhance our
community engagement while moving forward with key Task Forces that
are working to further the Mission and Vision of the DataPortability
Project. Although all members of the project are responsible for
engaging with the communities that we serve, we would like to put a
call out for an official Community Manager to assist the Project in
aligning and driving our goals.

Role:
DataPortability Project Community Manager

A great opportunity to be at the forefront of the global Data
Portability movement, develop experience around growing a community
driven organization and become a key person in the interaction with
large vendors in the social media space as well as other markets that
are affected by data portability.

Note: this is currently a volunteer position with no immediate plans
to become a paying position- but the DataPortability project may in
the future be in the position to have part-time/full time staff.

**Final role description will be agreed to by the New Community
Manager and Daniela Barbosa who is leading the recruitment Taskforce
but will possibly include the following:

Responsibilities:

* Become a leader in the DataPortability Project External
Communications Task Force
* Creatively and proactively assist community members, project
members and participating vendors
* Serve as the initial point of contact for inbound requests
* Identify and analyze issues, patterns and trends in community
requests that DataPortability Project should address as aligned with
its Mission/Vision Statements
* Transfer the information to the appropriate Project members so
that they can respond accordingly
* Connect new members to existing members
* Author blog posts, articles, podcasts, videos and screencasts -
whatever media you want to use -in conjunction with the External
Communication Task Force
* Establish metrics & report on them on a monthly basis including
recommendations
* Identify & engage advocates outside of the active community
* Proactively escalate issues, observations, opportunities, and
insights to the approriate committees
* Communicate issues, opportunities and insights to the Project
steering committee
* Participate in professional networking by following the
prominent bloggers and online writers & attending events.

Qualifications:

* You believe in the Vision and Mission of the DataPortability
project: http://wiki.dataportability.org/x/SoA0
* You like working hard and thrive on the excitement of a goal
oriented Project that is making in impact on our digital lives
* You are an independent, creative self-starter who loves running
with things while keeping everyone inside and outside the Project in
the loop.
* You love to write & enjoy sharing your ideas with others.
* You spend a lot of time online and stay up-do-date on new trends
for the tech elite as well as regular people.

Official posting:
http://wiki.dataportability.org/display/dpmain/DataPortability+Project+Community+Manager

Job description was created based on the following two resources:
http://conniebensen.com/blog/2008/07/17/community-manager-job-description
http://www.web-strategist.com/blog/2007/11/25/the-four-tenets-of-the-community-manager

Interested? Please contact me with your details and why you would like
to be our DataPortability Community Manager.

Daniela Barbosa
Co-Founder and Chairperson
DataPortability Project
daniela...@gmail.com

Elias Bizannes

Oct 23, 2008, 3:45:50 AM10/23/08
to dataportabi...@googlegroups.com
Just some comments for those reading the above

- very detailed job position, but don't be put off. We are all volunteers and can be flexible. Further, ideally this person will be leading a team so this is an opportunity to learn how to manage and delegate

- one of the things about us is that we have have a lot of talented people wanting to help out; we have a lot of things we want to do; but we lack effective management (and now we are finally doing something about it). We have such an untapped potential in our community, and it simply needs someone with the frame of mind and time to reach out and allocate tasks to people.

- The things I have learned, experienced, people I have met, and the rest in the last nine months alone is freaking amazing. I think I've trippled in blog subscribers, I've been asked to speak at conferences, and I quite frankly I am not doing anything different from a year ago it's just now I am getting exposure to other people in the industry.

My commitment to DP ranges from anything to 1 hour a week to 10 hours (although I am stupidly busy, so more the former) and I've developed a lot of new skill sets. I've really come to realise that career success is about doing things like this because you meet people you wouldn't have otherwise met; you do things you wouldn't normally be qualified to do; and you challenge yourself on something that you genuinely want to do and get to see your impact on the world. For example, I led the efforts on the governance framework and the vision for DataPortability - both unique exercises in themselves that took a lot of work but was valuable. I've now got experience to boot on doing this for other projects, companies or organisations. I've developed an expertise in something, purely because I said "yep, I'll help out".

Daniela and team have done a great job giving a job description, but like I said, think of it more as a guide. There is a lot of opportunity in doing a role like this, and you will get out of it what you put in.

--
Elias Bizannes
http://liako.biz

Matt Hooper

Oct 23, 2008, 5:09:24 AM10/23/08
to DataPortability.General
Sure sounds like an opportunity for someone to expand their horizons
on multiple fronts, I agree!

With regard to the attending of events and generally engaging in
person with the data portability community, would you say that the
community manager ideally needs to be in the US and/or spend
reasonable amounts of time there on a regular basis?
> <danielaVbarb...@gmail.com>wrote:
> >http://wiki.dataportability.org/display/dpmain/DataPortability+Projec...
>
> > Job description was created based on the following two resources:
> >http://conniebensen.com/blog/2008/07/17/community-manager-job-descrip...
>
> >http://www.web-strategist.com/blog/2007/11/25/the-four-tenets-of-the-...
>
> > Interested? Please contact me with your details and why you would like
> > to be our DataPortability Community Manager.
>
> > Daniela Barbosa
> > Co-Founder and Chairperson
> > DataPortability Project
> > danielavbarb...@gmail.com
>
> --
> Elias Bizanneshttp://liako.biz

Elias Bizannes

Oct 23, 2008, 5:37:03 AM10/23/08
to dataportabi...@googlegroups.com
Nope :) we are an online community and have participants across the
world...and conferences across the world. I think the ideal situation
is that we have one lead manager but several deputys each taking a
lead on their respective timezone and geography.

Sent from my iPhone

danielabarbosa

Oct 23, 2008, 3:10:55 PM10/23/08
to DataPortability.General
Absolutely- i went into the description on the wiki an put an extra
*** to make sure it is clear that this role is to be defined fully
when the right person is identified.

Here are my personal thoughts on why i think this is a great
opportunity for an individual and why i feel that it is an important
role to fill for the Project:

http://danielabarbosa.blogspot.com/2008/10/dataportability-community-manager.html

Suggestions, Comments appreciated!