This complex social world

Mglcel

Jul 14, 2008, 12:02:03 PM7/14/08
to DataPortability.General
Hello all,

27 years olded, i am not a famous blogger nor a web entrepreneur i
am just Loïc [lo-e-k], i managed several e-commerce development teams
at France Telecom and i manage now a technical team on the shared
(corporate) mobile services platforms department within the same
company, responsible for operations & impact management, exploit tools
development and processes optimization. I am not naturally a great
social animal but i use computers since i am ten years old and the web
since 1996. I discovered the web2.0 paradigm very late due to my
social skills lacks but i am now convinced to do evangelization and
help to define the next step.

When talking about data portability we're generally talking about
the detailed data transportability between two or more services but i
think the first topic to discuss is about the universality of the end
user social network allowing him to really have only one acccount per
service. Perhaps have we to consider the whole before the detail
because the detail conception will determine what it will be possible
to do into the whole ?

I will try to explain my vision of the data portability taking in
consideration my current knowledge level of the objectives of this
workgroup.

What we are thinking about is the transposition of the real whithin
the virtual : in the real world i am one physical person but i have
several lifes. As known i am not really the same person between
school, house, office, holidays, this google group and so on.. The
question to solve is not really how to duplicate my ID but how to
store more than one ID into my wallet and don't be afraid by police
controls (well.. goal is not to give tools to bypass the law.. ;) ),
it's the ability to have only one fidelity card for all supermarkets,
perhaps shared with my wife but where my really private stuff can't be
viewed by her. Because the life is not as simple ;)

I think the first work on data portability subject could be the
determination of all use cases that can be considerated, then their
prioritization according to available technos and industry actors
views, and then only after that fundamental work the other subjects
could be discussed.

To achieve this work some namings could be found as a first step
for :
- user types
- services
- identities
- ...

As I have not yet a general view on all the work done, i wanted your
opinion on the following scenario, illustrated below :
As Alice, Bob and Charlie are now old school people, i renamed them
to be more actual :)

[Insert picture here : http://picasaweb.google.com/mglcel/Public/photo#5222897023971396434]

In some years, when dataportability.org group will have done all the
work needed :

Alina have three digital identities :
- First : she had an account on MySpace when she was teenager
- Second : she have created another Myspace identity (not account)
when she began to work, a LinkedIn account as she has not used this
service before, and a facebook account.
- Third : she want to share some personal stuff with its closest
social network on facebook

Brayden is a complicated and hyperactive guy, he needs four
different digital identities :
1) its private life, shared with its family, closest friends and his
girlfriend, Alina, on facebook, twitter and flickr
2) its extended private life for his extended friends (blog and office
friends for instance). He uses facebook, twitter, flickr and LinkedIn
3) its hidden private life, well.. he have an hidden french
girlfriend, Claire.
He shares some stuff with her and the friends of its french second
life on facebook and flickr
4) Brayden is a paparazzi, he want to only share its people photos
with its colleagues on flickr

Claire is afraid by the web and data sharing, data visibility and
security considerations.., she only have two distinct identities :
1) Public on LinkedIn because she is searching for a job
2) Really private on facebook as some friends have invited her. But
she uses a fake name, it could have a possibility that companies try
to search her on this social service, she don't believe the computer
security experts..

All these profiles could exists, it is not our job to make any
judgment no ? Now some considerations :
a) how each actor could manage these different identities from one
unique place, OpenID extension, Higgins ?
b) when creating multiple identities we create multiple social
networks which are closed each other
c) Alina don't want that its old social network of teenager interferes
with its current working girl one
d) her facebook account have to manage two identities and so two
different networks, perhaps she want or not that its extended network
can view the members of its family network but she don't want to share
her daughter pictures to them.
e) as twitter messages are used to update the facebook status of
Brayden, he must have the possibility to have two different status,
one visible only for family and the other to its extended network ;
twitter and facebook communication must take this aspect into
consideration. When he submit a message on twitter he must have the
choice to submit it to one or more identities, as an extension he
perhaps want to have two different visible nicknames on twitter.
f) Brayden must be sure that Alina can't learn the existence of Claire
with a normal web manipulation : its secret french network must not
view any information that he don't want to share with us, on facebook,
twitter, flickr or LinkedIn.
g) On Flickr he don't have only family, friends, public and guests, he
can manage each information and media according to the visibility he
want to give it.
h) For all these reasons, Alina, Brayden and Claire don't want that
their personal information could exists in search engines or at least
they want to give them a time of validity. Using extended semantic web
concepts they have the ability to indicate or modify at any moment the
validity date of their informations. Alina have the ability to delete
the cached pages of its old teenager blog as the content is clearly
identified to be hers.
i) On LinkedIn, perhaps they want to share some details only with some
contacts (multiple points of presence are not shown on the diagram)
j) Identification is unique on all services, authentication is
identity-aware but digital identities are service-agnostic

Each identity corresponds to a different social network, to a
different personality.

All relevant aspects could be translated for very different services :
google reader share list, friendfeed, youtube, del.icio.us bookmarks
and so on..

This design is very far to be perfect and really incomplete but do you
think that all highlighted aspects have been taken into consideration
within the dataportability project ?

Thanks for your time.
I manage to act as an evangelist for the french people, who is in its
large majority so far of this vision of the web, i am waiting now for
one year the facebook invitation validation of my best friend, data
sharing is the main fear, we are paranoiac people..

Aaron Cheung

Jul 14, 2008, 12:49:03 PM7/14/08
to dataportabi...@googlegroups.com
One good parallel ref of a general view could perhaps be from Canter's
http://blog.broadbandmechanics.com/2008/05/how-to-build-the-open-mesh
which likely you've come across before :-) cheers, /ac.

Jonathan Vanasco

Jul 14, 2008, 7:11:38 PM7/14/08
to DataPortability.General
No, I don't think these items have been taken into consideration by
many of the Data Portability advocates.

Far too many people seem to advocate collapsing the social graph into
a system where every person is a single node, and not respecting the
division of personas. I think this is because many of the people who
are involved in the various portability projects are used to living
very public lives online and strive for digital interconnectivity.

My firm has been speaking out about your points for the past few
years. I can refer you to this repository of presentations & papers:
http://findmeon.com/IdentityResearch -- and specifically to the
"Online Identities and Social Mapping" essay ( which has lots of
photos! ). Admittedly, our technology straddles the line between
privacy , portability , and advertising -- so some things may seem of
less interest to you than others.

Steve Ng Ming Yeow

Jul 14, 2008, 7:21:07 PM7/14/08
to dataportabi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jonathon,

  Can I get your opinion on something I had been thinking about?

  I agree that the vast majority of us in this "world" are living our lives publicly, and hence we tend to understate (or overstate) the concerns that the rest of the world have.

  However, it is also true that the lines are not that easily drawn even for everyone else. For example, are professional, personal, or college contacts easily distinguishable from one another?

  Taking a broadly applicable example, i like playing basketball (personal), and i am a web2 entrepreneur (professional).  What i would really love to do, is to play basketball with fellow web2 entrepreneurs and engineers. Then again, i might have a fetish for say.... japanese anime, and I would really want to keep that seperate from everything i do. (i do not have that fetish btw :p )

  Any thoughts? Given the complexity of social lines, is it that easily for users to draw "lines" across their networks?

Discovery - Going Beyond Engagement: http://is.gd/op2 (My Current Pet Project)
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/mingyeow
Personal Blog: v3.mingyeow.com
The Digital Movement: www.thedigitalmovement.org

Aerik Sylvan

Jul 14, 2008, 7:25:41 PM7/14/08

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 4:21 PM, Steve Ng Ming Yeow <ming...@gmail.com> wrote:

  Any thoughts? Given the complexity of social lines, is it that easily for users to draw "lines" across their networks?

I think in the ideal world, sharing and/or synchronizing your data should be as easy as choosing which RSS feed to subscribe to.

If I want to synchronize some features on my Facebook account with a my Myspace account, it should be easy.  But If I want my contacts synced between my Facebook account and my LinkedIn account, but no other data to be shared, that should be easy to.  Thus, I should not only be able to have separate personas, but I should be able to mix and match the data from those personas as I please.

Best Regards,
Aerik

--
http://www.wikidweb.com - the Wiki Directory of the Web
http://tagthis.info - Hosted Tagging for your website!

Steve Ng Ming Yeow

Jul 14, 2008, 7:28:42 PM7/14/08
to dataportabi...@googlegroups.com
wouldn't that mean that you have to maintain "lists" of friends?

i do not think that the grouping friends feature is used much anywhere, even in facebook, where they have recently made it very obvious.

users are actually extremely lethargic to doing anything that does not involve their friends. For example, facebook's THUMBS UP/DOWN icons on the feed was used regularly by <1% of users, if i am not mistaken

Aerik Sylvan

Jul 14, 2008, 7:45:35 PM7/14/08
to dataportabi...@googlegroups.com
Frankly, I think that only power users are going to use the vast majority of stuff that becomes available through data portability initiatives.  That doesn't mean this isn't the right thing to do.  Most people are not interested in putting out the energy to try to figure out how to connect different services.

To give a personal anecdote, one part of our intranet went down here at work.  A bunch of reports and stuff live on a different server than the one that went down, so they are on a different domain.  The people who use the reports *every day* had never noticed that they were on a different server, so they assumed that those reports were also unavailable.  My point?  The average user still isn't very tech saavy.

But, I'd still like to able to pick and choose what things to sync.  Even if it was at the gross level (like setting the "What are you doing right now" in one service, and having it propagate to all the services I'm subscribed to, but not having to have all my contact lists in every service synced if I want some of them to be separate).

Best Regards,
Aerik

Steve Ng Ming Yeow

Jul 14, 2008, 7:49:23 PM7/14/08
to dataportabi...@googlegroups.com
:) Any initiative starts out with power uses, so i dun think there is any problem there.

The question is - are there any good insights/examples of a service empowering users, and users actually embracing it?

And thanks for the personal anecdotes! I have many similar experiences. Do you use the friend "list" feature?

Aerik Sylvan

Jul 14, 2008, 7:54:43 PM7/14/08
On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 4:49 PM, Steve Ng Ming Yeow <ming...@gmail.com> wrote:

And thanks for the personal anecdotes! I have many similar experiences. Do you use the friend "list" feature?

 I'm a huge fan of social networks in theory, but almost never use them (at all) in practice... kinda weird, huh?  I think I'd rather write code than maintain my social data.

But, I'd very much like to find programmer fathers (of school age children) who are also amateur (very amateur) surfers (as in ocean).  :-)

Best Regards,
Aerik

Steve Ng Ming Yeow

Jul 14, 2008, 7:57:05 PM7/14/08
to dataportabi...@googlegroups.com
Aerik - you are my man!  =)

Similarly, I would love to find entrepreneur fathers (of very small kids) who are also amateur (very amateur) ballers (as in court).  :-)

Loïc DIAS DA SILVA

Jul 14, 2008, 9:01:04 PM7/14/08
to dataportabi...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the refs, i will follow.

Talking about my personal experience and the one of my closest friends who are not computer workers, and perhaps because of a cultural behaviour, i really think that uses of social networks could be increased if we can propose a real solution about their major fear : the data sharing and persistence.

Major concerns i can have highlighted are, ordered :
1- Why must i sign up for this kind of services, this is only a virtual world, i prefer my physical one !
2- I don't want my name and personal data visible to anyone, there is potential interested people on the net
3- Sharing of my children photos with my family is dangerous, i have not control over the data, people are not confident about security and they really uses only one login/pwd couple for all accounts
4- What i think today is perhaps not what i will think tomorrow, Google is recording all the web, even if i suppress data, all is cached
5- As a colleague you don't have to know my parents, children or closest friends

This is my feeling but what do you think about a large survey, using premiersurvey for example to be able to identify the real needs viewed from the common end users ?

My suggestions about these concerns :
1- It is only marketing and communication answer. If i take my example i have yet converted to social networking some contacts on this explained arg : before social networking i can't follow people that i do not see every day, i don't like phone or postal cards, so i have forgotten number of my past contacts (holidays, school or others..). Now with facebook for instance i can keep in touch my first, second or third level of friends, follow what are their hobbies, work and general life, i can occasionally send us a message and finally its my real social life which is empowered, there are many opportunities that I would have missed without it.
2- The first answer is : you share what you want ! But i think this is firstly a site local politic. It could be possible on LinkedIn for example to build a more robust data access layer with a stronger authorization mechanism, companies could have to submit official administrative papers to gain rights to search for people, a more complete reflexion have to be done...
3- A technical answer could be found as for example a stronger access level to media. If i take the example of Flickr. All 'restricted' photos are in fact accessible if you know the public url, so you can't verify that this url is not forwarded by one of your friend to another person. The use of a media provider API or web media provider could alert and permit you to gain access or not, according to the context : each url is personal and media is transparently tagged. If i give an url to someone, only this person can view the media and even if the media is 'screen-shooted' we can find the person from which the media originates from. Pedophilia is the highest fear of my friends.
4- We have to work very hard to find a solution about data persistence, extended semantic web could be the solution if a technical solution can guarantee the owning of data and time validity.
5- Could be threated as a site-local answer or better as a universal and transversal solution, but it's a very important topic which must be solved fast.

In fact the most important thing i want to highlight with my last post is that the end user point of view must be the guide for all reflexions and, as a start, all use cases should be debated, listed and prioritized.

Regards.

2008/7/15 Steve Ng Ming Yeow <ming...@gmail.com>:

Loïc DIAS DA SILVA
mgl...@mglcel.fr

Aaron Cheung

Jul 14, 2008, 9:02:51 PM7/14/08
to dataportabi...@googlegroups.com
> The question is - are there any good insights/examples of a service empowering users, and users actually embracing it?

The undertakings from http://gnipcentral.com is interesting, as a service empowering users, in general (embracing, though, remains to be seen, as it's pretty new)..

And if directly pertaining to social networks, I do think OpenSocial, to date, does a reasonable job, eg., Plaxo's sync stuff that's based on OpenSocial, which actually doesn't specifically target power users... :-)

Rgds,
/ac.

Phil Wolff

Jul 15, 2008, 3:12:06 AM7/15/08
to dataportabi...@googlegroups.com
The other discouraging thing is that most people have fewer than a dozen IM contacts.

The value in grouping contacts (or in adding other metadata to your friends) is it makes it easier to apply policies, initiate communication, discover new contacts, and use apps that leverage group/meta data.

The pain in grouping contacts (or in adding other metadata to your friends) is
- you never want to type things in (effort),
- you hate thinking about other people with that level of abstraction (cognitive burden),
- data/groupings are perishable data (correctness)

So, what strategies are available to experience designers to overcome the pain?

1. automate manual data capture. for example, OCR to scan paper business cards, looking for contact information in emails, etc.
2. background analysis of contact data, contextual data, online behavior, and offline sensors to infer and deduce contact clusters
3. where formal groupings exists - like subscription to a mailing list or employment in a company - update data to keep things fresh

none of this is easy, obvious, or cheap.

until these barriers are broken, people won't have very interesting or useful data in their social graphs.

Aaron Cheung

Jul 15, 2008, 3:34:04 AM7/15/08
to dataportabi...@googlegroups.com
QR Code (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QR_Code) holds some promise and perhaps could help.. and service providers like www.scanr.com (if further expanding on their biz card area) could be interesting (other than plaxo capabilities).. :-)  /ac.