San Fran Meetup Meeting Notes

J. Trent Adams

Feb 7, 2008, 11:00:16 PM2/7/08
to DataPortability.Public.General

Fantastic meeting in San Fran (thanks to RapLeaf for the venue). Much
good discussion, and thanks to the folks who participated via
UStream / Skype.

I took meeting notes. They're not pretty now, so I'll clean 'em up on
the plane back to Boston tomorrow and hope to post Friday (or
Saturday).

Stay tuned.
- Trent

J. Trent Adams

Feb 8, 2008, 7:59:32 PM2/8/08
to DataPortability.Public.General
Here're my meeting notes from the San Francisco meetup yesterday. For
those of you unable to attend, this should provide a solid recap of
the main points. And if you were there, please reply if I've left
anything out (or otherwise misrepresented any of the points).

BTW - Let me know if folks think I should convert the notes into a
page somewhere.

Thanks,
Trent

---------------------------------
DataPortability Meetup Notes
Date: 2/7/2008
Location: RapLeaf Offices, San Francisco

---

Attendees:

Chris Saad (Farady Media)
Daniela Barbosa (Dow Jones)
J. Trent Adams (MatchMine)
Steve Williams (Digg)
J. Sullivan (Mozilla)
Rudy Rullan (Chikka)
E. Vacca
M. Rothenberg (Flickr)
Ben Matcalfe
Nitin Borwankar
Mike McKenna (Yahoo)
Tod Sampson (MyBlogLog)
David Fox ([illegible])
Daniel Riveong (e-Storm)
Jai Decler (e-Storm)
Brian Coldwell (Plasq)
David Recordon (Six Apart)
Joseph Smarr (Plaxo)
Jim Meyer (LinkedIN)
Gil Silberman (Peefluence)
Phil Wolf
Marc Canter
Mary Trigiani (Foldier)

---

Meeting Flow:

Brief Introductions (eg, name, company, why DP matters to you).
Short Discussion of Google Groups structure vis a vis Action Groups
Short Discussion of the "11 Questions" document by Chris
Short Discussion of proposed video interviews project led to...
Discussion of "DataPortability Project Mission" led to...
Long Discussion of what the DataPortabilty Project "is" and "isn't"
Short Discussion of data "portability" vs. "accessibility" led to...
Short Discussion regarding DP Project stance on interoperability.
Discussion of utility of Use Cases / User Stories / Feature|Functional
Decscriptions
Short Discusion of proposed DP Advisory Council
Proposal for monthly meetup in San Francisco.

---

Consensus Points:

Information being produced by the DP AGs is hard to find.

The DataPortabiltiy Project needs a more clearly articulated core
mission/vision.

The DataPortability Project promotes:
Visibility into User Data
Accessibility / Management of User Data
Ownership of User Data
Interoperability of User Data Between Systems

Something like Use Cases / User Stories / Feature|Functional
Descriptions will help.

Something like "DP Unit Tests" to quantititatively determine
compliance with proposed DP solutions will help

What DataPortability Is: (in no order)
Formalizing the discussion of what a users rights are over their data
(?)
Group is made up of individuals, companies, and organizations
Output of DP Project is freely available
Will define "Data Portability" generally and within context of the
project
Will help to normalize terminology used within the Data Portability
space
Will help to syncronize efforts across other Data Portability
projects.
Advocacy for Best Practices in Data Portabililty space.
Using existing technologies, stitching them together.
Going to define a vision for the future.
Going to define capabilities, not technical solutions
About research and education

What DataPortability Is Not:
An advocacy for a single technology solution
Developing new technology solution.
Going to force data into the public that shouldn't be
A legal entity providing legal-level precision.
Currently end-user focused

A lot of building blocks exist today, but not all of them.

---

No Consensus:

What version of Use Cases / User Stories / Feature|Functional
Decscriptions will help.
How much should DP "bless" standardized solutions to what DP suggests
The method of "DP Unit Tests" to quantitatively determine compliance
with proposed DP solutions.
Should DP produce a single "you're in" | "you're out" certification?

---

To Dos: (no particular / priority order)

Propose, iterate, and finalize a clearly articulated mission / vision
statement.
Explore a more effective method for promoting / linking information
being produced.
Discuss and iterate on Use Cases / User Stories / Feature|Functional
Descriptions
Explore methods of "DP Unit Tests" to quantitatively determine
compliance with proposed DP solutions.
Explore possibility of monthly meetup in San Francisco (other
locations?)

---------------------------------

danielabarbosa

Feb 9, 2008, 2:43:41 PM2/9/08
to DataPortability.Public.General
Thank you Trent for these notes notes. I would like to suggest that we
take the 'What is' and ' What is not' to some other page that the
larger group can contribute and comment on because that was an
important discussion that i believe can contribute to the
understanding of what the DP group is trying to accomplish and would
further suggest that other groups that get together to discuss DP
should also go through that exercise.

Also shall we copy the To Dos to specific Action groups to ensure
completion?

Thank you once again for the RapLeaf team for providing the space,
food and drinks. Thanks Manish!

Video from event is now available.

The Ustream.tv recording is partial (1st time user error-sorry) so i
capture the video archive and the first hour is posted on Vimeo:
http://www.vimeo.com/675107

What was recorded on Ustream.tv (about half way through):
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/QoZmDFc40qd9GHwvUad4Tw

Mark Shiu

Feb 11, 2008, 9:20:32 AM2/11/08
to dataportabi...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Trent for the meeting minutes.

I have a question.
I am new to this, so maybe the question has already been addressed.

Is DataPortability able to identify / map the real person from the real world?  (Maybe it depends on the host as well?)
If it is not, then people are able to create fake profile, and do they need to update their profile?
If it is providing real personal data, then it would be enhance to health care, banking, government, adult business, and ... etc.  Right?

Mark Shiu

J. Trent Adams

Feb 11, 2008, 10:41:48 AM2/11/08

On Feb 9, 2:43 pm, danielabarbosa <danielaVbarb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you Trent for these notes notes. I would like to suggest that we
> take the 'What is' and ' What is not' to some other page that the
> larger group can contribute and comment on because that was an
> important discussion that i believe can contribute to the
> understanding of what the DP group is trying to accomplish and would
> further suggest that other groups that get together to discuss DP
> should also go through that exercise.

Here's a link to a page created with the "What the DataPortability
Project Is/Isn't" bullet points:

http://groups.google.com/group/dataportability-public/web/what-dataportability-is-isnt

I hope this helps to broaden the discussion.

- Trent

J. Trent Adams

Feb 11, 2008, 10:45:05 AM2/11/08
to DataPortability.Public.General

Mark -

As it stands right now, the definition of what the DataPortability
Project will support is under active debate.

My suggestion would be to check out what's going on in the Technical
Blueprint Action Group [1] and the Implementation Action Group [2].
These two groups will most likely be the closest to answering your
specific questions (and provide a forum for you to join the
discussion).

Welcome to the party, and I hope that helps you find what you're
looking for.

- Trent