missing the web standards? RDF, OWL, FOAF, DC?

leo...@gmail.com

Jan 4, 2008, 4:48:33 AM1/4/08
to DataPortability.Public.General
Hi dp people,

I assume you are rebranding existing things under a new brand-name
"dp".

As a note: the W3C is standardizing many of the things you need under
the hood of "RDF",
especially when it comes to link and integrate various distributed
data stores.
see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linked_Data

http://esw.w3.org/topic/SweoIG/TaskForces/CommunityProjects/LinkingOpenData

Maybe look at this standard for representing friendship networks in an
extensible way:
http://www.foaf-project.org/

or this for blog-posts, communities, etc:
http://sioc-project.org/

Maybe you should get in touch with Tim Berners Lee or Ivan Herman from
W3C about the things you are doing.... they herd the industry support
at W3C (all big players are W3C members). And you share exactly the
same vision (although not the same tactics, W3C probably won't
recommend which microformats to use, but rather say: use RDF)

If you don't want the idea of contacting them, I could also send an
initial mail, I have worked with Ivan Herman in the SWEO group before.
Ping me... leo.sauermann (ad) dfki.de

best
Leo Sauermann

Chris Saad

Jan 4, 2008, 5:14:42 AM1/4/08
to DataPortability.Public.General
Hi Leo,

We are not re-branding existing things - but rather creating a single
brand that consumers can understand and developers can rally around. A
way of putting all the communities and standards in context -
including RDF. Much like 'Centrino' from Intel represents all the
moving technologies that make up their laptop/mobile platform.

I think that DP has the opportunity to be the Intel Inside sticker for
consumers looking for sites/apps that respect their rights and employ
a standard model of data portability.

Right now we are listing XFN as a way of describing friend connections
- however I am aware that many prefer FOAF for its richness - I think
there is still an open discussion on that. The other standards may
also be included if they find their way into the reference design:
http://groups.google.com/group/dataportability-public/web/reference-design

Tim Berners Lee has an open invitation to join the workgroup - happy
for you to pass it onto Ivan if you like.

The goal here is not to replace what the W3C or any other group is
doing - only to shine a light on it and put it all in context for
people. And also to provide a complete end-to-end reference design so
we can move from debating the nuts and bolts and start implementing
the future!

Cheers,

Chris