Data portals for cities through data.gov.in?

srinivas kodali

Jun 6, 2014, 8:52:25 AM6/6/14
to data...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Our Open data policy makes it mandatory for ministries to categorize their department datasets into open-data or restricted and release them publicly.
But the same is not true with city/municipal agencies. Most important datasets like public transport, financial spendings, pollution levels, water  usage fall under state/municipal agencies.

These are important datasets which need to be made public. Making local agencies release datasets through data.gov.in would bring data standards locally and also improve community participation. Think of it, bangalore.data.gov.in would be an interesting page to have.

Pointing out the equivalent open-access pages across the world.

why not have similar ones for india, there is enough data around. Delhi has real-time pollution level monitored, real-time locations of buses, water usage data is available from water boards.

What do we need for this to happen?

Regards,
Srinivas Kodali

Nisha Thompson

Jun 6, 2014, 12:05:38 PM6/6/14
to datameet
Srinivas,

I agree we should have one!  Can we get a few other people in teh Bangalore group together and start lobbying the NIC and bangalore to create one?

STarting with meetings and letters with Bangalore stakeholders? THen see about who is interested in starting the conversation in other cities.

Chennai might be movign toward a portal but I'm nto sure, I don't see why Bangalore can't have one or Delhi or Mumbai or PUne.

Nisha

--
Datameet is a community of Data Science enthusiasts in India. Know more about us by visiting http://datameet.org
---

Nisha Thompson
DataMeet.org
skype: nishaqt
mobile: 962-061-2245

srinivas kodali

Jun 6, 2014, 1:39:48 PM6/6/14
to data...@googlegroups.com
Nisha,

You mentioned something about chennai is moving towards a portal, can u elaborate on that?

Srinivas

Nisha Thompson

Jun 6, 2014, 2:15:52 PM6/6/14
to datameet
Data.gov.in mentioned a meeting with Tamil Nadu a while ago.  I will try to follow up with them and see if there is a follow meeting, maybe DataMeeters in Chennai can attend.

Nisha
Mobile: 962-061-2245

Chandrashekhar Raman

Jun 10, 2014, 1:20:25 AM6/10/14
to datameet@googlegroups com
Nisha, Srini, Open Data for Cities is a topic that I happen to have invested some time on as part of my day job. I should have a bunch of presentations PDF on the benefits of the same from my old days which i would be happy to share. If you want to do this in India, I suspect this is something a few corporates would also be interested in.

Also there are a couple of companies which are very good at doing this for cities - Socrata comes to mind immediately - I have talked to these folks a couple of times - they have a good hosted solution and a very impressive list of references (almost all major US cities in that list).

net net.. If there is a team that is getting organically formed to look deeper into it, i would love to be a part of it

regards
cs

bhanupriya Rao

Jun 10, 2014, 3:32:00 AM6/10/14
to data...@googlegroups.com
Transparent Chennai are helping the Chennai Corp with the open data in Chennai. They signed an MoU sometime ago. Satyarupa Shekhar is the person to write to, if she is not on this list already.

Her email is: satyarup...@gmail.com

Best
Bhanu
Bhanupriya Rao