DataMapper 1.0 Released

Dan Kubb (dkubb)

Jun 8, 2010, 8:04:24 PM6/8/10
to DataMapper
I'm pleased to announce that we released DataMapper 1.0 "Vermouth"
earlier today.

Thank you to everyone in the community, especially this mailing list
and the IRC channel. There's no way we could've reached this milestone
without your encouragement and assistance.

It's extremely rewarding to see DM hit 1.0, but at the same time it
also sets a baseline for future development to build on. In some ways
we're only just getting started, the future we have planned for DM is
even more ambitious. I'll be writing more about our plans in the
coming weeks.

Before you install
------------------

The installation process for DM 1.0 is pretty similar to what it was
previously in 0.10.x and 0.9.x with a few exceptions:

1) Using auto-migration and auto-upgrading require dm-migrations
rather than just dm-core. The reason for this is that dm-migrations
should share a lot of code with auto-migrations, but they don’t, and
in an attempt to DRY things up we’ve centralized all the code in one
package and will begin refactoring the code over the coming months.

2) Transactions require the use of the dm-transactions gem.

3) It is no longer necessary to gem install data_objects or any do_*
gem directly. Each DO based adapter has been extracted into their own
gems, and installing them will setup the dependencies on dm-core and
the appropriate DO gem(s). The new adapters are:

dm-sqlite-adapter
dm-postgres-adaper
dm-mysql-adapter
dm-oracle-adapter
dm-sqlserver-adapter

Installation
------------

Install dm-core:

$ gem install dm-core

The next thing you want to do is decide which adapter you want to use.
For example if you want to use sqlite, do:

$ gem install dm-sqlite-adapter

This should pull in data_objects and do_sqlite3 automatically, so no
need to specify either of those explicitly anymore.

It’s likely you’ll want to use migrations (for classic or auto-
migrations), and transactions when using sqlite, so to install them
do:

$ gem install dm-migrations dm-transactions

There is also a metagem which combines several gems into a single
package:

$ gem install data_mapper

This pulls a nice base stack for DM development. The gems included
are:

dm-core
dm-aggregates
dm-constraints
dm-migrations
dm-transactions
dm-serializer
dm-timestamps
dm-validations
dm-types

So putting this all together you can do:

$ gem install data_mapper dm-sqlite-adapter

Changes
-------

In previous release announcements I've provided details about the
changes, so I'm not going to repeat myself ;) Instead I'm going to
refer you to the list of 61 tickets we've resolved for the 1.0
milestone:

http://datamapper.lighthouseapp.com/projects/20609/milestones/62234-0103

How to report issues

Daniel N

Jun 8, 2010, 8:07:20 PM6/8/10
to datam...@googlegroups.com
So very very awesome. :)

Congratulations guys, this is really cool.

Martin Gamsjaeger

Jun 8, 2010, 8:23:24 PM6/8/10
to DataMapper
Yes! finally! a dream came true :P

Thanks *so much* to everyone involved! Thx for every discussion,
ticket, patch, .. Seriously, I mean it!

Now on to making DataMapper even more awesome!

cheers
snusnu

On Jun 9, 2:07 am, Daniel N <has....@gmail.com> wrote:
> So very very awesome. :)
>
> Congratulations guys, this is really cool.

> > .

Jonathan Stott

Jun 8, 2010, 8:31:27 PM6/8/10
to DataMapper
Congratulations to dkubb and snusnu (and everyone else who contributed
to the release!)

Also, minor correction, it is 'dm-postgres-adapter' (thanks to Stiivi
in #datamapper for pointing this out)

Jon

Dan Kubb (dkubb)

Jun 8, 2010, 9:27:44 PM6/8/10
to DataMapper
> Also, minor correction, it is 'dm-postgres-adapter' (thanks to Stiivi
> in #datamapper for pointing this out)

Doh! That's what I get for trying to cut down my time writing the
announcement by using text from the RC instructions. ;)

--

Dan

Roy Wright

Jun 8, 2010, 11:47:27 PM6/8/10
to datam...@googlegroups.com
Whoooooop!

Congratulations!

And a great big THANK YOU!

whity

Jun 9, 2010, 6:25:00 AM6/9/10
to DataMapper
hi there,

First of all, Congratulations!

Now, after installing this version, I'm getting the following error
when using a mysql database:
- /var/lib/gems/1.9.0/gems/do_mysql-0.10.2/lib/do_mysql/
do_mysql.so: undefined symbol: rb_default_internal_encoding

can you please give some help, thanks

Freak

Jun 9, 2010, 7:42:26 AM6/9/10
to DataMapper
On 9 Jun., 12:25, whity <andregoncalo.b...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Now, after installing this version, I'm getting the following error
> when using a mysql database:
>   - /var/lib/gems/1.9.0/gems/do_mysql-0.10.2/lib/do_mysql/
> do_mysql.so: undefined symbol: rb_default_internal_encoding

Sounds like it would work with ruby 1.9 ;-) And that someone didn't
consider
1.8 for their development. Encoding.default_internal is something ruby
1.9.
File a Bug.

Markus Schirp

Jun 9, 2010, 7:26:28 AM6/9/10
to datam...@googlegroups.com
Are you sure the version of your do_mysql gem (0.10.2) is korrekt in
this place?

BTW: Congratulations to the dm-core team, you spend a lot of time and
effort making DataMapper my ruby orm of choice!

Freak

Jun 9, 2010, 8:03:13 AM6/9/10
to DataMapper
> Sounds like it would work with ruby 1.9 ;-) And that someone didn't
> consider 1.8 for their development. Encoding.default_internal is
> something ruby 1.9. File a Bug.
Stupid idea of mine. Ignore that. And why are you using 1.9.0 and not
1.9.1 btw? And yep, it's not do_* anymore (well it is, but don't
require
that directly), instead use dm-adapter-mysql (reading release notes
helps). And that do seems a bit old.

whity

Jun 9, 2010, 8:04:25 AM6/9/10
to DataMapper
yes, it is in the correct place.
with the dm 0.10.2, was working correctly, I suppose it is something
with this version.

thanks,
whity

Dirkjan Bussink

Jun 9, 2010, 11:00:31 AM6/9/10
to datam...@googlegroups.com

On 9 Jun 2010, at 08:04, whity wrote:

> yes, it is in the correct place.
> with the dm 0.10.2, was working correctly, I suppose it is something
> with this version.

I'm pretty sure this is a 1.9.0 problem. 1.9.1 was the first version released as a stable version, so we've only tested with 1.9.1 and higher. A lot of stuff has changed from 1.9.0 to 1.9.1 and also from 1.9.1 to the upcoming 1.9.2. I'd strongly suggest upgrading at least to 1.9.1 to be able to run DataMapper (and also other 1.9 compatible software).

--
Regards,

Dirkjan Bussink

Dirkjan Bussink

Jun 9, 2010, 11:01:22 AM6/9/10
to datam...@googlegroups.com

On 9 Jun 2010, at 08:04, whity wrote:

> yes, it is in the correct place.
> with the dm 0.10.2, was working correctly, I suppose it is something
> with this version.

I'm pretty sure this is a 1.9.0 problem. 1.9.1 was the first version released as a stable version, so we've only tested with 1.9.1 and higher. A lot of stuff has changed from 1.9.0 to 1.9.1 and also from 1.9.1 to the upcoming 1.9.2. I'd strongly suggest upgrading at least to 1.9.1 to be able to run DataMapper (and also other 1.9 compatible software).

--
Regards,

Dirkjan Bussink

whity