Work at Wieck!

Sam Smoot

Aug 10, 2007, 1:13:12 AM8/10/07
to Dallas Ruby Brigade
An opportunity for a great Ruby developer has opened up at Wieck.

Here's what we're offering: We're a small company with a couple dozen
employees. We're one of if not the largest Rails development shops in
Dallas. We're an all Mac shop. We work with companies like The New
York Times, Honda and Allstate. Some of the biggest Ruby/Rails
community contributors in Dallas work at Wieck, with maintainers of or
(sometimes minor) contributors to projects like Comatose CMS, Rails
Theme Support Plugin, DataMapper, RExchange, Rools, PseudoXml, Rails
(patches), Merb (patches), and a lot more.

A sampling of just _some_ of the technologies you might have the
opportunity to work with are:

* Public Relations sites
* Video distribution sites
* Video transcoding in a Rails application
* Video capture with Cocoa
* Embedded JPEG data with IPTC
* Email, RSS, FTP-Push integration
* jQuery
* Merb
* Rails
* DataMapper

The list just goes on. These aren't "dip your toe in" internal
applications; they're out in front of hundreds of thousands of
industry users and have to deliver an ever expanding feature set with
ever more challenging integration scenarios.

Here's who we're looking for:

Yes it's a Rails job, but it isn't "just" a Rails job. It's so much
more. I need someone who knows *Ruby*. Who's not afraid to step
outside of Rails and tackle issues nobody's written a plugin for.
Knowing your way around Rails is important, but being up to date on
the daily goings on with Edge-Rails isn't necessary. It's more
important that your Ruby skills are razor-sharp. I also need someone
pragmatic. Someone who understands that sometimes delivering is more
important than beauty.

Let's just say that if you've read "The Pragmatic Programmer", you're
off to a good start. If you can show me a project of yours on
Rubyforge, no matter how simple, you're the kind of developer I'm
dying to talk to.

If you'd like to find out more, shoot me an email at sam at wieck. I'm
also sporadically available on the #dallas.rb IRC channel most days.