[ANN] 0.1.7.5 - Log with vigor

Kenneth Kalmer

Jun 7, 2009, 6:39:03 PM6/7/09
to daemo...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone

Spent the evening working on the logging and managed to get it done very reasonably.

The best review is probably the commit [1] that brings the logging enhancements in, also review Logging.txt [2] for additional information.

To cut a long story short, logging is now handled by an AbstractLogger class, which is a clever wrapper around Ruby's standard logger. The logger can be swapped out for SyslogLogger via command line argument or environment.rb. Logrotate support is in by way of trapping HUP signals to close and re-open the log files (not applicable to syslog).

There has also been some documentation tweaks on capistrano deployments [3].

I've re-ordered the TODO file [4] to reflect my target for an eventual 0.2 release, but this will be a slower target than the last ones. I'll be moving on to solidifying the requirements of my current production daemons as well as a new collaboration project with John Mettraux called ruote-kit, which depends on the functionality in daemon-kit.

Thanks for all the testing and feedback, keep it coming and file those bug reports!

Best

[1] http://github.com/kennethkalmer/daemon-kit/commit/015f093b5d0f4425500c7f179a3d259def9d202c
[2] http://kit.rubyforge.org/daemon-kit/rdoc/Logging_txt.html
[3] http://kit.rubyforge.org/daemon-kit/rdoc/Deployment_txt.html
[4] http://github.com/kennethkalmer/daemon-kit/blob/23644c9c36bb0b8638c883d7204618cac4a41ff5/TODO.txt

--
Kenneth Kalmer
kenneth...@gmail.com

Sho Fukamachi

Jun 8, 2009, 12:44:38 AM6/8/09
to daemo...@googlegroups.com
Awesome Kenneth! Will try it out immediately.

thanks for all your work, great stuff.

Sho