[ANN] 0.1.7.3 - No more daemons

Kenneth Kalmer

May 30, 2009, 8:20:23 PM5/30/09
to daemo...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone

Just pushed a few updates to github that brings the following to daemon-kit:

* No longer dependent on the daemons gem, all handled in house
* Flexible command line argument parsing for your daemons
* Some docs (a step in the right direction)

From the top down:

* No more daemons

You'll need to update your existing control scripts manually so that the call to DaemonKit::Application.run is changed to DaemonKit::Application.exec. Failing to do so will result in an argument error when trying to run your daemon. My apologies for the first backward incompatible change, it just needed to be done.

Removing the daemons gem opens the doors for plenty of other cool features that I have planned for the project, and this has been on the cards for some time. Please review and let me know if you miss any 'daemons'-specific features that I can re-implement.

* Flexible command line arguments

This depended on the removal of the daemons gem, and was one of the big reasons to do so. You can review the fresh new rdoc's for more information on configuring your daemons through command line arguments

* Some docs

I've started cleaning up the rdocs as I go along, but there is still plenty of files that need attention, and still plenty of supporting documents that needs to be created. The rdoc's can now be browsed online at http://kit.rubyforge.org/daemon-kit/rdoc/

I've not published a gem to Rubyforge, and will only do that once I reach a 0.18 or 0.20 release. I need some feedback from everyone regarding this release in any case.

To update:

$ gem install kennethkalmer-daemon-kit -s http://gems.github.com

- or -

$ git clone git://github.com/kennethkalmer/daemon-kit
$ rake gem
$ gem install pkg/daemon-kit-X.X.X.X.gem

Looking at the next milestones:

* More docs
* Fixing some annoyances with safety nets
* Improved logging (and syslog support)
* More specs for internals

Best

--
Kenneth Kalmer
kenneth...@gmail.com

John Mettraux

Jun 1, 2009, 1:15:50 AM6/1/09
to daemo...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 9:20 AM, Kenneth Kalmer
<kenneth...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone
>
> Just pushed a few updates to github that brings the following to daemon-kit:
>
> * No longer dependent on the daemons gem, all handled in house
> * Flexible command line argument parsing for your daemons
> * Some docs (a step in the right direction)

Congrats on the new release !

Keep up the great work,

--
John Mettraux - http://jmettraux.wordpress.com

Sho Fukamachi

Jun 4, 2009, 11:23:20 PM6/4/09
to daemo...@googlegroups.com
Wow, great work! Looking forward to the flexibility in the command
line handling, that'll be very handy.

Just a reminder to make the generators produce .exec though : D

thanks for all the work!

Sho

Kenneth Kalmer

Jun 5, 2009, 5:45:33 AM6/5/09
to daemo...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 5:23 AM, Sho Fukamachi <sho.fu...@gmail.com> wrote:

Wow, great work! Looking forward to the flexibility in the command
line handling, that'll be very handy.

Just a reminder to make the generators produce .exec though : D

Arghhh... Thanks for pointing it out, I quickly pushed out an emergency release, 0.1.7.4, which contains a bunch of other goodies as well, documented in the History file (http://github.com/kennethkalmer/daemon-kit/blob/5e763963860af6da4733049a388f517b172f9186/History.txt)

Thanks for reporting this one Sho! Really appreciate it.